Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 01:48:07 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S30SS Targa Florio: June 10, 2016
June 10, 2016, 10:41:32 PM +0100 - Targa Florio - UKGPL Season 30 (2016) Specials Series Trophy
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
GregT
 Team Baarf
Ferrari 330/P4 GT 1967 1 35:33.590
75.478mph
1 35:27.740
75.685mph
1 35:27.740
75.685mph
Firestone  
Mark Jones

Lola T70 MkIII GT 1967 3 +2:02.970
71.364mph
2 +1:53.805
71.842mph
1 37:20.073
71.890mph
Goodyear  
Cookie
 Antipasti Racing
Chaparral Mk2F GT 1967 2 +1:40.030
72.097mph
3 +2:05.495
71.470mph
1 37:32.277
71.500mph
Firestone  
Walter Conn
 WSL Racing Team
Porsche 910 GT 1967 6 4 +4:16.307
67.548mph
1 39:40.212
67.657mph
unknown
Dunlop  
Doni Yourth
 Blue Moose Racing
Ford GT40 MkI GT 1967 8 5 +6:14.658
64.354mph
1 40:57.175
65.538mph
Goodyear  
DLogan

Ferrari 330/P4 GT 1967 4 +3:12.710
69.225mph
6 +1L
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Firestone  
Jani Posta
 Team Groundhog
Lola T70 MkIII GT 1967 7 7
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
60fps UKGPL8

Chaparral Mk2F GT 1967 5 8 DNS ---
---
Firestone  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 30 (2016) Specials Series Trophy - GT - Targa Florio - Jun 10  (Read 6202 times)
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:01:54 PM +0100 »

S30 Specials Series Trophy - Sports Car Race - Targa Florio

This is a fun series where we do the big events, so let's start with the GT's biggest event in 1967: the Targa Florio.

Please check the Season 30 details regarding rules and the Specials Series Trophy pages in particular.

Handicaps:
Heavies/Priv/Amateurs have a free car choice and unlimited shift+r .

Lights/Pro/Works can't use the Porsche 910 and have only 1x shift+r.

IMPORTANT
We will do "only" one racing lap, (but the server will show 2) so please be cooperative when a faster car/driver is behind you.
Please start your last qualifying lap with minimum ~ 30min time left!

GPL will shut the quali after ~11min overtiming, even if you are 100m from the finish line!  Shocked

Please end your race lap after the finish line within 250m!

Race List =   IGOR
Server = UKGPL_8
IP Address = look at IGOR
Race date = 10-06-2016
Qualification Time   = ~20:30  UK time -> 60min
Race Time = race starts at 21:30 UK time
Track = Targa
Variant = SC67 with 60fpsV1
Damage Model = INT
Race length = ~45 min -> 1 lap
Replay = you get here

Please restrict chat to emergency messages including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Have FUN!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:27:25 PM +0100 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Rainier
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:14:40 PM +0100 »

I will not race this evening ... Euro will start with France-Romania ! 

Le silence éternel de ces espaces infinis m'effraie
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 02:32:42 PM +0100 »

Yes, it's a shame those Euro guys do not take our schedules into account...   :'(

Training server is up!

Yesterday I made a test lap that made my GT rank negative  clap

Axel "Cookie"

Walter Conn
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 06:19:30 PM +0100 »

I just noticed that the UKGPL lap records do not have a GT sports cars 67 time.

Sunday Driver
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 07:16:30 PM +0100 »

I don't think we've ever run a full (normal) race here in GTs - or at any rate, the last time we've done GT events here we had to import the results in a slightly unusual manner.

This may be why.  Smiley
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 08:13:07 PM +0100 »

Yes that's why I have to set the server to 2 laps to get a result after 1 lap Wink

Axel "Cookie"

Jani Posta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 09:48:38 PM +0100 »

For some strange reason I used to like this track. Now it's over Cheesy

Groundhog GPL Weekly / Custom Rank
www.formulado.hu/weekly
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 10:06:08 PM +0100 »

Shift-r went with a blow up about 10m in.

Then rolled it off a rock wall about 8 min from end because of thinking about challenging Cookie for podium :doh:.

GL to all left.
Walter Conn
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 10:26:48 PM +0100 »

I had a minor incident at the start. I had trouble avoiding someone that spun at the start. I had fairly minimal damage until last few corners, and I became trapped on guard rail. One shift - R, and I was able to finish. Fun event for me in the Porsche. I only wish that I had been able to practice before hand. As it turns out, my porsche set-up for this track was close to the default setting. Still, it was a nice car to drive on this track.

Sunday Driver
Mark Jones

Calm like a Bomb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 01:26:21 AM +0100 »

Congrats to Greg, very fast today.  I screwed up my qualifying by bashing a wall and bending something, then screwed up at the start when the car womballed off weirdly onto the grass.  Walter I think did the same and sent me onto a fence so I had to burn a reset there.  Managed to get past Axel when he had a moment (sorry for the bump there, GPL rather over-reacted to that small bump when I was trying to dodge.) then had a good dice with Dean.  Once I got to second I tried to just relax and concentrate at the same time.  Such a challenging relentless track.  Axel chased me all the way home but thankfully I didn't make any big mistakes, and the few nudges I gave the Lola didn't seem to hurt it any.  Points on the board.

These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back.
Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 12:36:42 PM +0100 »

Congratulatins, Greg!  Super drive!  Smiley

A hearty well done to both Mark and Axel for making the podium.  Good show, gys!

Bad luck for Deaner and Jani.

My 'race' was rather more just a tour.  I'd done a full lap in the morning as warmup and decided to not put in any time in official practice.  I actually missed the start proper as I was 'draining my potatoes' and crossed the S/F line to start my lap some 1m15s behind Greg.  LOL!  I brushed a couple of road markers early on which annoyed me supremely but thankfully, there didn't seem to be any appreciable damage.  Just passed 1/4 distance, my vision started to cave with my left eyeball seemingly just along for the ride.  Not fun driving the Targa with just one functioning eye.  At one point, I clipped a marker and spun the GT40 exactly 180 degrees.  The roadway was very narrow and it looked like it was going to be a real task to get righted.  A power-spin got me headed(mostly)in the right direction and I carried on.  Got it home without any more dramas.  That was the goal so I'm satisfied.
GregT

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 07:02:01 PM +0100 »

Congrats Mark, Axel, and all the finishers.

It's a shame Dean was impaled by the end of a brick wall or he might have finished too. This track has a lot of deadly snags and traps. It reminds me of Jim Pearson's tracks in that aspect.

That was a lot of fun. I'm starting to get a good feel for the track. It's taken a long time. I've got one more significant improvement in lap times left in the 330. Without the 3 offs I had during the race, it wouldn't have surprised me to lower my race lap by 15 more seconds. Smiley Any gains after that will be small.

I've wrecked so many times I know a lot of the pitfalls now. I'm doing a good job now, keeping the car pointed in the right direction. Smiley I'm recovering better from mistakes. I learned a new place to get stuck during the CA66 event, leading to approach another section of track with greater care.

Thanks Axel. I almost feel Axel wanted to give me at least one sure win this season. I'm determined to one day run a clean lap here in the 330/P4, so I've been driving two laps per week for more than 6 months now in one car or another. I intend to continue that for a long time.

Thanks for the practice too. I'm pleased with my setup for the 330 now. The only thing I might change is the gearing and possibly increase the ride height some more. A longer 1st and 2nd gear might help? or a much shorter 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear? I won't test those changes until I know the track better.

Still, it was a nice car to drive on this track.

The Porsche is a great car for this track. In my early GPL days, I used it to learn Nurburgring after weeks of frustration in the 312 and 330. I also abandoned the 330 at one time to use the 910 to learn Targa better. I'm looking forward to a few laps in it in the near future. I know the track better than the last time I drove the 910 here.

Not fun driving the Targa with just one functioning eye. 

That's a shame Doni. Sad My eyes were bothering me some during the race. I ran a qualifying lap and 1 race lap at Targa with Geli just prior to entering this race. 4 laps almost in succession with a 10 minute break between lap 1 and 2 were almost more than my eyes could take.

At one point, I clipped a marker and spun the GT40 exactly 180 degrees.  The roadway was very narrow and it looked like it was going to be a real task to get righted. 

That's one of things that make this track frustrating. The GTs are prone to facing the wrong direction when losing the rear. Most of the other mods will allow you to turn further into the slide and nail the throttle to do a quick 360. That doesn't work well at all with these cars. I've ruined dozens of laps here from the facing the wrong way in a tight section. It's also difficult for me to do a quick 180 from a standstill because of the long 1st gear I like to use.

At one point I thought you were driving the Mark 2B. I'm glad to see you drove the Mark 1. It's not a bad car to drive on this type of circuit. It's just slow. I find all the other Ford engine cars a nightmare on these circuits. I'm glad you didn't torture yourself with a big block or the Mirage.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'll keep my eyes open for any future races at Targa. They're rare with this track's length and difficulty.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 09:23:46 PM +0100 »

Yes this track is allways a special event Grin

I did some preparation laps with the ChapF and bettered my PB by 84 sec Wink
another lap in the Lola was 1 sec faster but much more challenging...

I too had big problems in the last 3rd when my glasses were full of sweat and I tried to wipe them... look at the replay Shocked
Else I had maybe a good chance to catch Mark before the finish line Roll Eyes

For the Targa addicts: next Wednesday 20:30CET FunLiga races with 66s 2L here! Those cars are perfect for it.

Axel "Cookie"

GregT

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 05:41:34 PM +0100 »

I watched more of the replay. I've found I like watching Targa replays almost as much as Nurburgring replays. I couldn't help but laugh at a lot of the mistakes. Almost every mistake I saw had me thinking, "yeah, I know what it's like to do that." Smiley

I forgot about qualifying until watching the replay again. The first time I left the pits Mark was less than 1 mile in front of me. I wanted more of a gap so I wouldn't catch him during my Q lap. I drove slowly towards the start. By the time I got close I realized it's still not as much of a gap as I'd like. I returned to the pits. When I reentered the track, Prib was showing Mark 2.2 miles in front of me. I thought that might be a big enough gap, but I still caught him just before the Buonfornello Straight. Smiley I needed to wait 5-10 more seconds to start my qualifying lap. Move over Mark, you're fellow countryman, Chris Amon, is coming through! I still like trying to do Amon impersonations most. Now I just need a 312P at Nurburgring to do more. Smiley

Axel's first spin put him in the situation Doni and I mentioned. It's difficult to get the car turned around. The Chaps are some of the worst with a 3 speed transmission.

Mark and Dean were fighting for position. It's tough enough just racing the track. I'm still not comfortable enough with the track to really want to do any close racing with another car.

Else I had maybe a good chance to catch Mark before the finish line Roll Eyes

Yes! That was interesting until you ran wide in Campofelice. I thought that might prevent you from getting a tow on the Buonfornello Straight. When you started weaving like a drunk on the straight, you lost any chance of getting a tow. I still thought you had a chance to get a good tow until you hit the 203 km marker. lol Axel obviously couldn't see well. He had to get so close to the kilometer marker to see it that he hit it.

Luckily for Doni, the pits is before the starting line. It would have been worse if it weren't. Then you wouldn't have even got a timed lap.

I wish Dean could have reset again. I probably would have just to get some more practice. Who cares about a DQ when it takes such a long time to run one lap.

If any of you guys are interested in learning the track better. Move your 1st pit stall to other points on the track to practice them. I learned the 1st sector much sooner than any other. Too many wrecks and resets had me returning to the pits to try again. I've still probably driven the 1st sector twice as much as any other. It shows too. My first sector times are becoming somewhat consistent.

To get my 5th gear set correctly without using much time, I've set my first pit stall on the straight after entering Campofelice. Now I know sector 4 well from starting in Campofelice so many times. I think it's time to set the first pit stall near the end of sector 2. That should allow me to learn sector 3 well, the one I know least.

If we ever race the GTs here again, I'll use a slower car. Right now I'm trying to get the 330/P4 set up well for Nurburgring and Targa. I'm also trying to get my GTrank handicap as low as possible for the 330.

I did some preparation laps with the ChapF and bettered my PB by 84 sec Wink
another lap in the Lola was 1 sec faster but much more challenging...

Congrats! You'll keep getting faster? From watching the replay, it appears you know the track somewhat well. After 150-200 laps, I still don't think I know it real well. I'm surprised you didn't like the Lola more. This is the track that made me grow to love the T70's handling. It only took me 2 or 3 laps to break 36 minutes in the Lola. That was much quicker than I did it in any other GT. If only the T70 sounded and looked as good as the Ferrari. Smiley It's probably smart to take the car you know best though, like I did with the Ferrari.

I must be a Targa addict. I'd guess there are few drivers that race online now that know the track better than I do.

Thanks for the info about Funliga, Axel. I can't make the next Targa race but I'll now watch what events they will be running. I might show occasionally if I ever have time on Wednesday for a race.

Thanks again guys.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
Mark Jones

Calm like a Bomb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 09:12:30 AM +0100 »

I forgot about qualifying until watching the replay again. The first time I left the pits Mark was less than 1 mile in front of me. I wanted more of a gap so I wouldn't catch him during my Q lap. I drove slowly towards the start. By the time I got close I realized it's still not as much of a gap as I'd like. I returned to the pits. When I reentered the track, Prib was showing Mark 2.2 miles in front of me. I thought that might be a big enough gap, but I still caught him just before the Buonfornello Straight. Smiley I needed to wait 5-10 more seconds to start my qualifying lap. Move over Mark, you're fellow countryman, Chris Amon, is coming through! I still like trying to do Amon impersonations most.

Ha, you can't fool me I knew it was you Smiley  I thought I could stay ahead until I hit a wall near Campofelice which gave me horrible understeer when trying to turn left.  That let you catch right up in time for the long straight but at least I could get a draft down there.

To get my 5th gear set correctly without using much time, I've set my first pit stall on the straight after entering Campofelice. Now I know sector 4 well from starting in Campofelice so many times. I think it's time to set the first pit stall near the end of sector 2. That should allow me to learn sector 3 well, the one I know least.

Ah, I set my fifth gear by going the wrong way out of the pits and doing the short stretch to the straight in reverse!  Then I can run down the straight, and back again to the pits.

These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They're back.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com