by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 23, 2024, 07:36:21 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Win10  (Read 1120 times)
Erling G-P

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:19:14 PM +0100 »

So now Microsoft's deadline for a free up?grade to Win10 is fast approaching.  I have been happy with Win7 and postponed upgrading so far, but must make a decision soon.  I'm reluctant to upgrade, as I'm sure something (everything?) will be screwed up, but on the other hand getting something for free is mighty tempting.

Has anyone here done it and if so, how did it go ?   GTL still working ?

Also, is a clean install needed, or can you make the switch without having to reinstall all programs etc. ?

Cheers,
Erling
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:52:32 PM +0100 »

This is an old subject, but for my part......
I allowed my two gaming systems to go to Win10, I had different issues on each system
and after 3 months or so have reinstalled Win7 on both.

On one it needed 2 boots every time before it saw any USB devices, including the wheel
on the other machine it couldn't see the DV Drive, and had no drivers for my (not that old) printer.
all devices worked fine with a dual boot into Linux.

GTL worked ok, but I had to reinstall it from Steam a couple of times before I got the
online part working. That may be nothing to do with Win10 itself, but I had more trouble than
usual getting it to work again,(only the on line stuff was an issue)
I did an upgrade not a clean install, and people have suggested that a clean install of 10
would have been less painful. In any case both my games machines are back at Win7
and will not be going to 10 again, probably ever, as I am unlikely to be paying for it.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:37:31 PM +0100 »

Thanks for the feedback Matt.  Sounds like I would be well advised to just stick with Win7.  Btw. wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft extends or repeats the free upgrade offer, for those idiots who haven't seen the light yet..  Cool

Cheers,
Erling
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 04:46:16 PM +0100 »

I've avoided Win10 on my main GTL PC. I did upgrade my secondary PC and hate it although I had no software/hardware issues. I just don't like Win10 as an OS. It seems to be very restrictive.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 08:35:28 PM +0100 »

I've avoided Win10 on my main GTL PC. I did upgrade my secondary PC and hate it although I had no software/hardware issues. I just don't like Win10 as an OS. It seems to be very restrictive.

Thanks Tony, certainly strengthens my belief that I should stay with Win7.  Just wondering how Microsoft will pester me after Friday, when they can no longer tempt me with a free upgrade..  Smiley

Cheers,
Erling
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 09:11:30 PM +0100 »

They will no doubt find a suitable "spy patch" for WIn7 so they can still gather all that lurverly
data about you  Roll Eyes

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com