Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 12:47:27 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S3066CA Road America: November 11, 2016
November 11, 2016, 10:37:00 PM +0000 - Road America (Full) - UKGPL Season 30 (2016) Can Am Trophy (66CA)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
GregT
 Team Baarf
McLaren M1B Group 7 1 2:10.721
110.139mph
1 44:33.973
107.686mph
20 2:10.221
110.562mph
Firestone  
Doni Yourth
 Blue Moose Racing
Lola T70 MkII 359 Chevrolet Group 7 2 +2.091
108.405mph
2 +4.136
107.520mph
20 2:12.706
108.492mph
Firestone  
Cookie
 Antipasti Racing
McLaren Elva Mk.1 Group 7 3 +4.078
106.807mph
3 +1:20.480
104.540mph
20 2:15.381
106.348mph
Firestone  
Rainier
 Black Night Racing
McLaren M1B Group 7 4 +6.904
104.614mph
4 +1:27.252
104.284mph
20 2:14.162
107.315mph
Firestone  
Carlos Cendejas

Chaparral 2E Group 7 7 5 +1:45.310
103.606mph
20 2:15.035
106.621mph
Firestone  
francesco
 Antipasti Racing
Lola T70 MkII 359 Chevrolet Group 7 5 +9.730
102.509mph
6 +14L
99.831mph
6 2:19.287
103.366mph
Disco
Firestone  
60fps UKGPL8

Genie Mk.10 Group 7 6 7 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 30 (2016) Can Am Trophy (66CA) - Road America - Nov 11  (Read 3142 times)
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:03:10 PM +0000 »

UKGPL CanAm 66 Trophy final Round 10 at Road America 95

Celebrating the final round of the first UKGPL 1966 CanAm Trophy.
The season reaches its conclusion at Road America near Elkhart Lake in Wisconsin.
This track is one of North America's finest road racing venues, with a challenging mix of corners and undulations.

I had hoped that this last race will be held at the new Road America 67 track that is in the pipeline,
but those things need their time...

Check the Season 30 details regarding rules and the Can Am (66) Trophy pages in particular.
Please restrict chat to emergency messages only, including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Race listiGOR
ServerUKGPL_8
IP addresslook at IGOR
Date11-11-2016
Track elkhart
ModCANM66 with 60fpsV2newmod
Damage INT long
Race timeRace starts at 21:30 UK time
Qualifying ~45 minutes, starting ~ 20:45 UK time
Race length20 laps
Replay get here

Handicapping

Pro/Works/light drivers:
- must use a different car for each race.
- One Reset is allowed per race, followed by a stop and go.

Ams/Privateers/heavy drivers:
- have no limit in resets and car choice.

GLA and have FUN

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:39:37 PM +0000 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:22:23 PM +0000 »

Hi, Axel!  Smiley

I tried this old chestnut for a handful of laps the other day.  It's a Noonan conversion from one of Papys Indycar sims, iirc.  Pretty bare bones but it's a good ride nonetheless.
Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 12:32:49 PM +0000 »

I know that it's far, far too late for the club to consider a venue change but perhaps a more appropriate candidate ref an up to date build and graphics might have been Ginetto's superb rendering of Pacific Raceways(aka, Kent)released in 2013.  It was a circuit seeing many races on the autumn West Coast tour plus USRRC events.  Next time, maybe.
francesco

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:42:16 PM +0000 »

I have the Remy version of Road America and is at the level of Spa in my opinion.Unfortunately is not yet released.
GregT

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:40:16 PM +0000 »

When I saw this track on the schedule, I thought Axel was hoping we might see a new version by the time this race was run.

This track doesn't look very good and has lots of room for improvement concerning it's accuracy, but it's still a good track to race. Smiley

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
francesco

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 09:56:32 PM +0000 »

Closure of the season with the usual method.....engine explosion.
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 10:25:29 PM +0000 »

I have the Remy version of Road America and is at the level of Spa in my opinion.Unfortunately is not yet released.

Yep same here, I had hoped it will be released...

Axel "Cookie"

Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 01:33:22 PM +0000 »

Gratulations to Greg to the first UKGPL CanAm 66 Championship thumbup2 thumbup2 thumbup2

Doni had a very good and constant pace too! I had to learn this track as I did only a few laps before.
I was satisfied with my pace, in the Elvis Mc, doing one mistake less than David got me the last podium place Cheesy

After a difficult season with some health problems, I hope to be on a better way now. (I stopped smoking 2 weeks ago  Roll Eyes )

No idea yet if there will be any Friday series next season, as the grids became very small.

Axel "Cookie"

Rainier
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 03:21:35 PM +0000 »

I am happy with my race and my best time here.
It doesn't happen very often I can fight with Axel in a race.
I don't know what happened with Carlos, we were racing very closely since several laps when we collided in a turn. Did I wrongly close the door or did Carlos loose control of the Chap 2E ( a car that I never could drive with its only 2 gears !) ?
Sorry Carlos if I made a mistake.

So even with 5 cars at the start, racing could be funny ! 

Le silence éternel de ces espaces infinis m'effraie
GregT

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 06:26:54 PM +0000 »

Congrats Doni and Axel! Nice drive Doni.

Doni looked good in practice. He looked about the same during the race.

I know this track well from many laps in the 71 Can Ams. As with them, I struggled with the high speed braking zones and the turns after them. I never actually figured out my best braking point for T1 and T5. It appears you guys may be waiting too long to brake. Everybody seemed to waiting longer to brake than I was but I was getting a much better exit. I saw alot of that with Doni. Doni would open a small gap on entry and I'd close it near the exit of the turn and have to feather the throttle to avoid rear ending him.

I didn't worry much about my early mistake. I figured my advantage in speed would take care of it if I didn't make any more mistakes.

My car advantage helped me pass Axel easily. Carlos and Dave didn't try to make it difficult to pass. Doni was a different story. I didn't have much if any advantage on the straights. Doni may have felt I was toying with him but I wasn't. I spent several laps trying to figure out where I had the greatest advantage and looking for any place I was confident I could complete a pass. Doni never really slid wide anywhere I could capitalize. I knew I could force the issue at T1 but I wasn't going to take the chance until the very end.

That's the best I've driven one of these 66 Can Ams in traffic. I made a few mistakes behind Doni but I didn't struggle with the car as much as I have in the past.

Gratulations to Greg to the first UKGPL CanAm 66 Championship thumbup2 thumbup2 thumbup2

Thanks Axel! I got lucky Rob and Tim didn't drive the entire season. I may have won a few races but I have doubts I could have won the championship.

After a difficult season with some health problems, I hope to be on a better way now. (I stopped smoking 2 weeks ago  Roll Eyes )

I hope you're feeling better. I'll surely miss you if you're not racing.

No idea yet if there will be any Friday series next season, as the grids became very small.

That's bad news. It's a shame there hasn't been more interest in the Friday races. I've enjoyed most of them.

I enjoyed this 66 Can Am season. I learned to drive the cars better. I learned which cars I like driving best. And by the time the season ended, I've begun to learn how to drive the cars better in traffic. I've still got a long way to go until I'm as comfortable in traffic as I am with many of the other mods.

Thanks guys and thank you Axel for managing this season.

Take care guys. I hope we might see each other again on Friday.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 11:59:54 AM +0000 »

Congratulations to Greg on the race victory and becoming our first(and last???)CanAm '66 UK Champion.  Great job all season long as the score car shows.  Well done.

Super job by Axel to claim P3 in the Road America outing and P2 in the title chase.  Both well earned.

Carlos and Dave not far behind in the final tabulations does credit to their GPL skills.  Fine jobs, gys.

Well!  What a thrilla in Wisconsin!  I really enjoyed that race as I made few errors and drove as fast as I dared 90% of the time.  Only a couple of minor slips under acceleration with the Lola getting a might sideways and a poorish Lap02 that had me skate off in Canada Corner and then again moments later going under the bridge.  BOOO!  Sad

After inheriting the lead from Greg thanks to his Lap01 off, I just knew that he'd come charging back.  Charging back HARD!  After storming back and passing Axel, my pit board had him in P2 some 9s down and over the following laps, he was carving 2s/lap off the deficit.  Not at all surprised at that as he had soundly out-qualified me by a similar margin.  Once on my tail, I expected a quick dispatching but no, Greg measured his chances carefully and drove with his head and not his gonads.  Typical crafty stuff from GT.  I really enjoyed my struggle to stay ahead giving it the hammer at all times and surpassing my Q time.  Coming up to start the last lap, I wagged the tail of the Lola under power just ever so slightly entering the pit straight and that's all Greg needed and his McLaren was underneath me and by on braking for T1 of the last lap.  He drove off convincingly to a good lead heading for the flag.  As it turned out, he needn't have bothered with a dashing pass late on.  Late in that final round, I detected a slight misfire from the big Chevy mill and coming off the final corner, swapped over to the F10 chase view to have a look-see at my fuel pressure.  Uh-oh!  I was running out of fuel!  As I hit the S/F line, my gauge read all of 8psi.  Such was the pace of my trying to best Greg that I'd run the tank dry!  Smiley

I should mention that my vision held up reasonably well in this go.  Not the horror of the '71 CanAms at Watkins last week.  After three or four laps, things started to get a little cloudy and I thought, 'It's deja vu all over again.'  Luckily, the fogging and tearing stabilized and from about 1/2 distance on, actually improved to somewhat normal and proper.  That was a welcome blessing.

In the first line of this piece above, I noted that Greg might be our 'last' CanAm '66 Champion and I fear that might be the case.  Attendance of these races has been thin and with the advent of the 1955 Mod close at hand, I fear that it will fade into a backwater of use.  A real pity as it's a terrific piece of work.  Can we promote this mod with Tuesday and Sunday races?
Carlos Cendejas

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 06:25:09 AM +0000 »

Did I wrongly close the door or did Carlos loose control of the Chap 2E ( a car that I never could drive with its only 2 gears !) ?
Sorry Carlos if I made a mistake.

Hola everyone!

No Rainier, you didn't make a mistake. I guess we both where eager to comeback to the track.  Smiley

I arrived to the event 30 minutes before it start to discover that my computer monitor was dead,  Shocked so i had to start looking for another one. When i finally found one, it was one of this small monitors with a big box behind, so i had my usual vision like 10 centimeters (3 inch i think)  Roll Eyes closer to me and another 10 cm smaller i could nearly get in and with no time to qualify.

Im not much fun of these cars with 2 gears neither and practicing i could handle the Chaparral better than the Lola. But the chaparral dose not have rear mirrors Undecided and having that in mind and all i wrote before i decided not to challenge Greg when he reach me after his mistake.

I was 5th behind Rainier most of the race hoping he would do a mistake, but unfortunately for me every time he had a mistake i would make one too, specially when we both saw a yellow flag and Axel coming back to the track.

Congrats to Greg, Doni and Axel on the event!. And to Greg, Axel and Doni on the championship!!!!!  Smiley

It was fun and a pleasure racing against all of you!
Hope more guys will join for the next CanAm 66 season, if there is one schedule. I hope it will.

Gracias UKGPL!!!!!! Grin

Cheers to all  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:29:08 AM +0000 by Carlos Cendejas » Logged
Iestyn Davies

Variety comes in packs of 7 GPL cars! Drive 5/day!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 07:02:43 PM +0000 »

Never too late to stop! thumbup1 No wonder you are getting faster again on track Grin

Comparing elkhart, roadoman and roadamerica67, it's really a shame that Beckman's track wasn't finished and released about ten years ago, ten years after the Noonan conversion. It would have seen roughly ten years of use before the new Road America 67 comes out (next year?).

GPLrank = -75
Monster = -400

See ya online Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com