Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 03:44:17 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S3067W Estoril: December 04, 2016
December 04, 2016, 09:35:29 PM +0000 - Estoril (1984-94) - UKGPL Season 30 (2016) Works Trophy (67)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Iestyn Davies
 Blue Moose Racing
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 1 1:48.427
89.662mph
1 49:12.619
88.900mph
27 1:47.235
90.659mph
Firestone  
Samb
 Black Night Racing
Honda RA300 F1 1967 2 +0.114
89.568mph
2 +41.087
87.680mph
27 1:48.855
89.309mph
Firestone  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 6 +1.972
88.060mph
3 +51.250
87.383mph
27 1:48.849
89.314mph
Goodyear  
Doni Yourth
 Blue Moose Racing
Honda RA300 F1 1967 5 +1.693
88.283mph
4 +51.251
87.383mph
27 1:49.687
88.632mph
Firestone  
AnGex
 Black Night Racing
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 8 +4.011
86.463mph
5 +1L
85.280mph
26 1:52.073
86.745mph
Firestone  
GregT
 Team Baarf
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 3 +0.126
89.558mph
6 +8L
87.647mph
19 1:48.107
89.927mph
Disco
Firestone  
Baab
 Team Baarf
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 4 +0.147
89.541mph
7 +14L
83.234mph
13 1:48.305
89.763mph
Disco
Firestone  
DLogan

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 7 +2.034
88.011mph
8 +23L
84.066mph
4 1:52.917
86.097mph
Disco
Goodyear  
DLogan

Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 9 DNS ---
---
Firestone  
9 UKGPL

Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 9 10 ---
---
Firestone  

Moderator's Report

No reported incidents.

SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
Grand Prix Legends
F1 1967
1:48.427
89.669mph
Iestyn Davies
Qualifying
Ferrari 312 (1967)December 04, 2016, 09:35:29 PM +0000
S3067W
Grand Prix Legends
F1 1967
1:47.235
90.665mph
Iestyn Davies
Race
Ferrari 312 (1967)December 04, 2016, 09:35:29 PM +0000
S3067W
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 30 (2016) Works Trophy (67) - Estoril - Dec 4  (Read 2900 times)
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:06:27 PM +0000 »

Season 30 Works Trophy – Round 4 – Estoril

This is a re-run of the race originally scheduled for 14th August at Estoril.

The track has a modern layout, having hosted the Portuguese grand prix from 1984 to 1996. The lap record is held by Britain’s Damon Hill, at 1,14 .

Race List = iGOR
Server = UKGPL_9
IP = see iGOR
Race date = Sunday 04-12-16
Time = 21:00 UK time (21:00 GMT)
Track = Estoril
Race length = 27 1aps (50 minutes)
Variant = 1967
60fps patch used   = 60fpsV2newmod
Damage Model = Pro
Qualifying time = 30 minutes

Driver lists can be found at the
Works Trophy Page

HANDICAPPING
The tokens system remains for all drivers. Otherwise no handicapping applies.

Until the number of registered drivers exceeds grid capacity drivers may join the server as soon as it appears in IGOR.

Drivers are required to complete 50% distance to score points.

There is no Red Zone for this series, moderating will be on reported incidents only. Please remember that an additional 1 place penalty is awarded for Lap 1 incidents.

Please restrict chat to pit messages including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Password: see above
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:10:27 PM +0000 by Billy Nobrakes » Logged

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Iestyn Davies

Variety comes in packs of 7 GPL cars! Drive 5/day!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 04:57:59 PM +0000 »

Two re-runs.. two races I can enter!

Am I right in saying that with 5 tokens and then +10 for both races that I can race Ferrari and Brabham? Or is that Cooper and Brabham 5 + 10?

Edit: The former
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:55:43 PM +0000 by Iestyn Davies » Logged

GPLrank = -75
Monster = -400

See ya online Smiley
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:45:23 PM +0000 »

Think this is the only GPL track I've tried that I absolutely hate. Off-camber hairpins are just sooooo much fun with these cars (that have way more torque than traction), so... let's have FIVE of them, PER LAP, with diabolically slippery braking zones that totally won't catch out anyone coming up from behind. Yeah, that'll be great!! /sarcasm

UNinstalling.

Grats to Iestyn for pole, commiserations to Bob for being all of 0.14s slower yet 4th, GL to those still at it.

See yas next week.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:18:13 PM +0000 »

Well..................................................First of all, Grats to Iestyn and Sam.

Although I have a bucket full of tokens that I could have used for these last 2 re-runs, I decided that I would have some fun.

The BRM is a car that I have never been able to drive competitively and that is the reason why my GPL rank is poor. I have not reached anywhere remotely close to the benchmark times, at any circuits, in this green 6 speed monster. So, although I had intended to race the Honda or maybe the Brabham, I had a rush of blood to my head as I looked at IGOR, and in a moment of madness I clicked on the BRM!!!!  beta1

Now I was a little nervous about making a complete Horlicks of the race in a car that frankly, I always hated.
Starting with the default setup I changed the steering ratio to my preferred 5:1 and guessed at the fuel required. The BRM was probably going to be heavy on gas???, so I stuck in an extra 10 laps worth.......would it be enough??? who knows??

Several "out laps" and several returns to the pits for adjustments, some changes to cambers, tyre pressures and toe in and there was a hint the this car might actually be made to work.

By the time the grid formed I had a car that almost felt normal...almost?!!

All I was expecting ( hoping ) was to have a race with someone and keep the damned thing on the grey stuff for as many laps as possible.
Very surprised not to be last on the grid and was very careful on the first laps not to get involved in any exchanging of paint samples as the tyres warmed up.
The fast brigade had shot away at the start, and I found myself tailing Doni's Honda, but after a few laps we passed various cars mowing the grass and suddenly we were running 3rd-4th!!
The rest of the race was a battle with Doni and his Honda. Interrupted by Sam flying through in his supercharged Honda to take 2nd place .

As the race progressed I was still learning how to drive the BRM with a totally alien ( for me) diff setting, a narrow power band and 6 gears. Several times I missed a downshift and was in a gear too high through a corner. As the end of the race approached I could smell champagne and the bottom step of the podium, but Doni also seemed to have designs on that position.

I lined him up through the final corner, so that I could get the tow down the S/F straight and went for the pass into T1 on the last lap. I knew that if I kept it neat he would have nowhere to make a pass before we returned to the S/F straight. Doni also knew that!! and he launched that Honda off that final corner as if he had been trained by the Wazas. As we crossed the line I took a look sideways and it was very, very close. In fact until I checked the official results I suspected that Doni had snatched the champagne from my sweaty hands!!
Another 5 mtrs and he would have, what a close finish to a hugely entertaining race.
Thanks Doni  Grin Grin Grin Grin

A little more work during the next race might encourage me to take the BRM more often and with next season looking like we will be running the original Papyrus tracks I might even bring my GPLrank up to date......maybe  Wink

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:48:11 PM +0000 by EvilClive » Logged

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 12:20:16 PM +0000 »

Nice to see Iestyn back on form with the win.

Super job by Sam in the Honda to score a P2 with lap times well below my efforts.

And Clive...  Well, what can I say?  Snatching P3 from me on the main straight going into the last lap and acing me to the line by about 3".  GPL/GPLRA scored it as a time difference of 0.001s.  What a heart breaker!  (Well, no, not really.  I was thrilled to have a terrific duel and even being bested by a blink took no shine off the day.)

Sam was comprehensively faster than I in qualifying with great times in the Honda.  To line up P2 on the grid in the heavy Red Ball Special was a fine effort.  I was about 1/2s off my PB to start P5.

On the opening lap, I saw Sam off in the grass as the result of some contact and then to have Bob fall off on Lap02 leaving me P2 at the end of the lap rather a surprise to say the least.  Knew it wouldn't last.

Clive had the BRM singing along nicely and a close shadow.  Sam recovered from his brief off to threaten by mid-race but I was comfortable in laying down solid laps.  No panic.  Then, on Lap12, a grievous error by overshooting my braking point by a fraction for T6.  Spun into the kitty litter.  Grrr...  I worked hard to make up time but if it weren't for a minor by Clive at T6 the next lap, I would have been set for a long and boring run to the flag.  Over the last half the race, Clive and I jousted furiously and I managed a pass into T1 to start Lap20.  I felt confident of holding the position provided I didn't stuff it up.  Coming off the last corner to start the last lap, Clive got a good run on me and passed into T1.  MERDE!  I fought back hard and looked for any opening.  None to be had.  Coming off the last corner with the checkered flag just a few hundred metres on, I gassed it for all the V-12 was worth, pulled out to pass and...  Came up 1/1000s short.  Sad

Great stuff and the kind of thing that keeps people like me coming back for more.

Dean...  Yes, this circuit is marginally goofy but that's almost exclusively down to the pathetic chicane installed following the Ratzenburger/Senna fatals at Imola.  Without this feature, it would be a fine ride, imo.  We need Robby and Stu to make a pre-chicane version.

Edit: As I was about to strike the 'post' button, I got a flash that someone had just posted and that I may wish to view that before proceeding.  I didn't.  Turns out it was Clive posting just moments before I with a fine description of events.  It was, indeed, a fine time.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:24:13 PM +0000 by Doni Yourth » Logged
Samb
UKGPL Divisional Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 01:01:55 PM +0000 »

Remained true to form this season, decent qualifying effort with a patchy race performance. Thanks for the kind words Doni about the q-time, it was a complete one-off though  Smiley.

Managed 2nd on the grid behind Iestyn and pulled away from the line keeping position. Sadly Greg got caught out by my cautious braking into the 2nd bend and the resulting contact meant we both went flying off into the gravel. Glad we could both continue and set off on our merry way  Smiley.

The first half of my race involved fighting back up to 2nd place. Enjoyed the battle with you in particular Doni, you were getting great exits out of the bends and I was struggling to find a way through. The latter half involved battling with Greg, recovering impressively from our tangle earlier on. Greg eventually forced an error out of me on the last bend with my poor exit and sped off into P2. Sadly the torque of the DFV might have caught him out as when I went round the first turn, I saw a Lotus pirouetting around serenely  Wink. Hard luck there Greg, you were driving a great-recovery race after our coming-together.

That left me alone in 2nd place, and an inconsistent slew of lap-times followed, just about managing to hold onto second place. Iestyn must have found another gear in the race, congrats on the win Grin. Congrats to Doni & Clive for what sounds like an awesome battle and to Andreas to making it to the flag. Will have to go and download the replay  Smiley.

I feel this track would be better suited in the 69 mod, but for some masochistic reason I do enjoy the technical challenge here in the 67s. I think the lack of low-down torque in the Honda actually helped here for my style of driving. Wouldn't trust my right foot with the Brabham at a track like this.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 02:42:45 PM +0000 »

Just looked at the results and was VERY surprised to see that I managed a 1:48 lap in the BRM!!! 

Although that must have been a fluke, it is encouraging to find that I achieved that pace in a car that I have always avoided driving.

Still some way to go to catch Iestyn.  Roll Eyes

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
GregT

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 07:20:08 PM +0000 »

Congrats Iestyn, Sam, Clive, and Doni! It's good to see Iestyn get a decent time with his sub par steering wheel. Even with some practice and a good setup, it wouldn't have been easy to stay with Iestyn. It's good to see Clive and Doni get some good action too. And I'm particularly pleased that I didn't seem to hurt Sam's final result much, if any. Smiley

My apologies to Sam, again. I ran wider into T1 than I should have. I wasn't exactly sure where Bob was and I thought he might pass me. I was trying to be cautious and take it easy on Sam, at least, until we got to the front straight again. I'm glad my heavy braking reduced the difference in speed enough, that Sam and I could continue. I was so angry with myself, I sat there on the side of the track for a moment to calm myself.

Without any practice, I knew the Lotus wouldn't give me the advantage that it should. I had thoughts similar to Clive. I wanted to practice in a car I haven't driven a great deal. I used qualifying to work on my setup and try to learn to drive safely and consistently. I have to say I was a little disappointed with myself, having let Bob out qualify me in the Honda. Smiley I wasn't too worried though. I figured the Lotus would allow me to pass on the main straight.

The car drove well early in the race. I quickly got to 1:48.5 but after that I began fighting oversteer. My rear tire pressures were a little higher than they should have been. I couldn't push the car much after that. But I was doing alright until the commotion at home started distracting me.

I finally caught Sam. After the lousy start, I was a little more cautious than normal. The last thing I wanted to do was cause Sam any more trouble. I followed, waiting for a mistake and trying to follow closely out of the last turn so I might pass. I took a look on one lap but decided it wasn't worth the risk. Sam eventually made a mistake in the last turn and had a clear opening. I think I got a little too excited and put the throttle down more than I should exiting T1. My rear tire pressures bit me again. I was careful not to do anything that might send my car back onto the racing line. Without Sam close, I could have avoided the wall easily but I couldn't be sure I could keep out of Sam's way. The nose hit the wall lightly which spun me around and into the wall again backwards. That knocked the right rear suspension severely out of alignment. There was little point in continuing after that.

Sam was getting a good exit out of many of the turns. I couldn't follow him out of the last turn. He got a good enough exit out of one of the hairpins that I could never get an opening on the other straight either. That was some good driving Sam. It is funny that once I caught him his lap times got noticeably worse but that still didn't mean I could pass. I also could have used better camber settings. They made it impossible to get a good run on Sam out of the last turn. They were also holding me back through T1 and T2.

Thanks for the fun guys. Other than my first and final mistake, I enjoyed it.

You know that some people are different
Now ain't that a crying shame
Now wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same

Savoy Brown
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 07:31:20 PM +0000 »

Missed this thanks to a late late bedtime for MiniTM... scamp.

Hope Dragons Nest is a little more successful!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Robert Fleurke
Former UKGPL Moderators

GPL Forever!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 11:30:25 PM +0000 »

Grats Iestyn! Sam looking good for the works title! Smiley

Had some other stuff to attend to yesterday, but I'll try to make the last race if I can. Haven't touched the wheel a lot recently (despite iRacing try-out), still have to make the transition to the new cockpit....basically need more parts, first another 22" monitor, to make an aluminium triple stand for a fixed setup of the 3 monitors on the cockpitframe etc...no hurry yet...expensive month anyway  Roll Eyes

Driving for Antipasti Racing

Baab

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 08:40:19 PM +0000 »

First race in a good while for me, I hoped I'd do a lot better  Tongue  Last time I raced here I had good pace and 'only' spun a couple of times on the way to 2nd behind Tristan in a Lotus.  This time though I must have been too close to the limit...most of the time.  Good fun while it lasted, but in the end I was last by a mile (literally) and voluntarily quit!

Probably join you to slay the dragon, but really not a fan o that circuit.

Cheers,

Bob.

P.S Andreas, I think we had a fair amount of mis-understanding in qual, thought you were letting me through, no worries tho
AnGex

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 09:23:14 PM +0000 »

P.S Andreas, I think we had a fair amount of mis-understanding in qual, thought you were letting me through, no worries tho

Think so, but in the end it´s allright.  Smiley

Get up, stand up: stand up for your right!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com