by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 12:21:49 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L17GT40 Silverstone: August 14, 2017
August 14, 2017, 08:41:46 PM +0100 - Silverstone (GP 2010+) - UKGTL Season 17 GT40 Classic
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Berger R - 74
 Supersonic Racing
Ford GT40 (#840) GTC-65 1 2:24.085
91.850mph
1 59:25.834
89.073mph
24 2:25.050
91.239mph
Dunlop  
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Ford GT40 (#4) GTC-65 2 +1.759
90.742mph
2 +2.686
89.006mph
24 2:26.764
90.173mph
Dunlop  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Ford GT40 (#18) GTC-65 4 +3.970
89.387mph
3 +31.094
88.303mph
24 2:27.757
89.567mph
Dunlop  
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Ford GT40 (#10) GTC-65 3 +3.162
89.877mph
4 +49.308
87.858mph
24 2:28.718
88.988mph
Dunlop  
Bob M.
  OLD SCHOOL RACING TEAM
Ford GT40 (#3) GTC-65 6 +6.079
88.132mph
5 +2:41.486
85.214mph
24 2:30.674
87.833mph
Dunlop  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Ford GT40 (#14) GTC-65 9 +8.347
86.820mph
6 +1:49.277
86.425mph
24 2:30.001
88.227mph
Dunlop  
Redvaliant

Ford GT40 (#95) GTC-65 5 +4.604
89.006mph
7 +2:01.784
86.132mph
24 2:28.817
88.929mph
Dunlop  
misnoimis

Ford GT40 (#840) GTC-65 8 +6.911
87.646mph
8 +2:14.943
85.825mph
24 2:30.983
87.653mph
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Ford GT40 (#840) GTC-65 10 +10.559
85.578mph
9 +1L
83.434mph
23 2:33.813
86.041mph
Dunlop  
Jeep
 TEAM-GTLDK
Ford GT40 (#840) GTC-65 7 +6.628
87.811mph
10 +13L 11 2:30.324
88.038mph
unknown
Dunlop  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Ford GT40 (#18) GTC-65 11 +12.447
84.546mph
11 +15L 9 2:33.324
86.315mph
unknown
Dunlop  
55steve55
 TEAM-GTLDK
Ford GT40 (#10) GTC-65 12 +22L 2 2:54.663
75.770mph
unknown
Dunlop  
BillThomas
 Kerb Crawlers
Ford GT40 (#92) GTC-65 12 +18.731
81.283mph
13 +23L 1 3:08.661
70.148mph
unknown
Dunlop  
SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
GT Legends
GTC-65
2:24.085
91.850mph
Berger R - 74
Qualifying
Ford GT40August 14, 2017, 08:41:46 PM +0100
L17GT40
GT Legends
GTC-65
2:25.050
91.239mph
Berger R - 74
Race
Ford GT40August 14, 2017, 08:41:46 PM +0100
L17GT40
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 17 GT40 Classic - Silverstone - Aug 14  (Read 3297 times)
55steve55

Waltzinblack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 08:49:26 PM +0100 »

I'm finding I'm barely touching the corner curbs to be awarded a cut then a sng. If this is correct then I'm happy to accept it, but this track does seem to be somewhat over-sensitive.

Early sessions at 2:30.4 on race fuel.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:58:59 PM +0100 by 55steve55 » Logged
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 10:22:28 PM +0100 »

I managed a sub 2:30 , but I'm not sure that I can maintain that level of extreme concentration x 24 laps!!  The odd thing is that I cannot get the front tyres to heat up ?? is that a glich with the GT40 or with me and my driving???

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 06:31:53 AM +0100 »

Away over the weekend - so no private praccy at all.
Hoping for cap7's setup tonight  Tongue

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 10:31:38 AM +0100 »

I managed a sub 2:30 , but I'm not sure that I can maintain that level of extreme concentration x 24 laps!!  The odd thing is that I cannot get the front tyres to heat up ?? is that a glich with the GT40 or with me and my driving???
They may not heat up as much as the rears but they wear out quicker!

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 10:00:49 PM +0100 »

Results and replay now posted

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Redvaliant

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 10:20:57 PM +0100 »

Hi guys. That was a tough tough race, but bloody great all the same Cool.  Here come the Racer Excuses 101:  
 I did okay in qly, the old barge largely did what I asked it to - understeer here, oversteer there and dozie doe your partner. I got a great start, up to 3rd and held it around the first few cnrs even though the cars behind me were faster...I love clean racers who give you room in the melee at the start!  
After a couple of laps I started to get dizzy and lose focus in my eyes with an attendant headache growing lap by lap, but I held on thinking - there's only 100 laps to go, lol.
  (I felt kinda strange and flushed all day but ignored it because, Racing!)
 I tried to stay with Clive when he got past but was finding it hard to stay on top of the car and the track with having to look aside from my screen to try and get my eyes to refocus. Then I grabbed 1st instead of 3rd into the WORST CORNER IN THE WORLD complex and decided to manage my pace. It worked for quite a while but a few missed gears and braking points and I fell back behind OLD G and Tony. Sorry OLD G about that contact into Brooklands - I lost sight of the markers and slid into you...oops!  I've been at this game for near on 20 years and I think that may have been the hardest race I've ever done - even endurance races and GPL events back in the day.  Don't race when you are getting sick, I reckon.  An interesting experience all the same, and learning that these old cars need to be aggressively handled or kid-gloved around a track; there's no middle ground with them at all.
Thanks for the racing and see you next time, Daniel.  
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 10:27:17 PM +0100 »

It's great to read how much you love our events Daniel but.................take care of yourself mate. I don't like to read about eye troubles during a race. Be well, stay well.

Cheers

WT

BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 05:58:36 AM +0100 »

Apologies to Roger for the tap causing you to spin. After a number of offs the car wouldn't brake in a straight line, so I quit! :'(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:04:41 AM +0100 by BillThomas » Logged

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 10:11:44 AM +0100 »

Grats to Berger and Geoffers who were in a different league altogether, and how they were extracting those laptimes from these cars is a total mystery to me.

Still, to finish on the podium was very encouraging for me, considering where I started from in the GT40 a few days ago. First attempts were in the 2:35 region and with a car that felt like it was programmed to kill me. Another couple of sessions and some tweaking of setups was slowly developing a more stable car that gave me the confidence to push a little harder and get quicker.

My offline PB before the race was mid 2:28 'ish and I felt that was about as fast as I would get. Erling was almost a second a lap faster in qually and although I was an race fuel I could not be sure that Erling was in pure qually mode.

My start was poor and I lost 2 places before T1 and had to get my elbows out to stop anyone else muscling their way past. I knew from practice runs that my tyres would be slippery for the first lap or two so I concentrated on staying with the leaders. Then one of the cars ahead lost the rear end at T3 and exactly how I avoided contact I still don't know...but I was now up to 4th and tailing Erling with Red just ahead. Berger and Geoffers were checking out ahead, and I had no illusions of challenging that duo.
Erling appeared to be  a) held up by Red or b) being very clever and protecting his tyres early in the race. Whatever, it was giving me the chance to close the 3 second gap and catch the battle for 3rd place. Once I got there I could see that Red's car was getting a little squirmy ( now I know that he was having vision issues, I hope that it is just a fever and nothing more serious ). More of interest to me, was that Erling also appeared to have problems getting his car turned in at some corners...was he already struggling with front tyres??  Suddenly there was a huge gap inside Erling and I just stuck my GT40 into the space and stole the position  Wink
Red was definitely having problems now that I was able to observe it up close and Erling was obviously a little miffed about my opportunist pass as he was sitting on my tailpipes. Erling returned the pass when I was forced to back off when Red wobbled mid corner and I was back in 5th again.  When Red spun and Erling swept past I fully expected to watch him pull away and in my hurry to stay with him I missed a braking point and ran wide. I thought that was the end of my challenge, but slowly I reeled him in again and the closer I got the more I could see him fighting the rear end of his car.
Once I caught him I was happy to sit and wait for a few laps and watch where I had an advantage. There were a couple of places where I was taking a few tenths out of his time and I was just planning how to make that work for me when his car screwed off the track. It may have been very rude, but I did not need to be asked twice and I jumped into 3rd place and set about escaping from him.

Arnold's work on the setup ( more by luck than judgement I suspect) had produced a car where I could mash the accelerator out of most corners and the rear would still stick behind the front wheels. Also the changes to the diff and roll bars allowed me a controlled, stable entry to most corners, the result was that my tyres were lasting extremely well. I now needed to maintain clean laps and steal those tenths on the parts where I was quickest, without giving away anything around the rest of the lap.
It all worked perfectly and although I never approached the pace of the leading 2 cars I was able to sneak away from Erling for a comfortable podium spot.
Quite gratified to see that my tyres were all evenly worn and still showing a hint of green at the end, with a whole second knocked off my previous PB too.  Grin

Maybe these cars aren't so bad after all? and I might consider joining the next round .................... if Arnold can work his magic on the setup again.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
misnoimis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 11:14:14 AM +0100 »

A rather boring and lonely race for me last night. I practiced on Saturday evening after a couple of glasses of wine with a meal and after fiddling with the set up got in a lap of 2m30.01s. It must have been the wine helping because I couldn’t match that on Monday. I was expecting to get into the 2m29’s or better and race midfield.

After the start I got caught up in someone else’s accident at Turn2 and was deposited to the back of the field. I got my head down on regaining the track and tried to close the gap on the cars in front but found the gap to be slowly widening which was discouraging to say the least.

I was surprised at how quickly the front tyres went off. After about one third of the race in my case. I think my set was wrong along with my driving style. I had a few interesting laps in front of a recovering Tony but could see he was much faster and closing fast. When I tried to pick up my pace a little the front tyres said enough and I went wide letting him though. On regaining the track the car did its own thing and span.

I spent the middle third of the race learning how to drive the GT40 on tyres that were shot (I had only practiced on fresh tyres) and the last third touring round on my own which was pretty much uneventful. I guess I if I had put more effort into the preparation for this race I could have made it more interesting for myself.

Grats to all finishers, podiums and winner. thumbup1 thumbup2 clap
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 01:15:44 PM +0100 »

Like hinted at by John earlier, I too find this version of Silverstone very confusing.  I keep trying to - and failing - to match various sections with parts of the earlier layout, which I know better.  In this car, it was a real challenge - those slow corners that go on and on and on was a true test of your self restraint.

Happy with qual, when I dipped into the 2:27 laptimes for the first time, securing 3rd on the grid.   Race itself was a disappointment. Berger & Geoffers were so far removed from the rest of us that they might as well have run entirely different cars. However, the absence of a certain Sardinian gave hopes of a podium finish being within reach.  Not to be, when a surprisingly fast Clive thwarted my plans. In qual, I had been decidedly quicker, but in the race, our roles were reversed.  Throughout he appeared to have bags more grip than me, and it was a genuine mystery to me how he could maintain those fast laps right to the end.

Clive sums up the race well in his post, and I have little to add. When he passed me for good, I got the line over the blind crest before the pit entrance wrong, ending up on the curb/grass. Already had one nonsense cut warning, and didn't want another.  Had to slow down, or I would have gotten one in that place, handing 3rd to Clive. Managed to repeat the error next lap, crowning it with a spin. Thus the gap to Clive was 8+ seconds and kept extending 1-2 secs a lap to the end, despite my best efforts.

Grats to the podium, and to Clive for apparently finding the magic setup formula for the GT40.  I used the Cap7 setup mentioned by Geoffers, as it was better than my own, but it is seemingy sensitive to even light tyre wear.

Cheers,
Erling
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 04:22:15 PM +0100 »

I really like this version of Silverstone with its mix of fast & slow corners. Did a little bit of testing for this race as the GT40 is always a tricky car to drive, I think the developers deliberately gave it a low grip level so it wasn't far too fast for the GTC65 class, it always seems to be on a knife edge between understeer & oversteer.

Was happy in qually to be only 0.5s slower than Reinhard until he went 1.2s faster at the end!  Shocked Got a bit too much wheelspin at the start & Reinhard easily took the lead. I kept up for the first couple of laps, noticing that I seemed better on the brakes & turning into the corners but was left for dead on corner exit where Reinhard was able to get on the gas much harder & earlier than me. The gap quickly increased by 1.5 to 2s a lap but I was also pulling away from RV, Erling & Clive by the same amount, so the race was quite lonely.

However with around 5 laps left I noticed on XD Reinhard was in the pits (S/G) & I was able to grab the lead just as he was exiting. A lap later he got past on the Hanger Straight only to run wide at Abbey & let me back through. He outbraked me into Brooklands but again ran wide & I nipped back past, but the battle ended when I messed up the entrance to the Maggots/Becketts section & ran across the grass. Tried to catch back up but made a couple of mistakes on the last lap & had to settle for 2nd.

Congrats to Reinhard on what should have been a much easier win & also to Clive in 3rd.  clap clap
SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 05:35:01 PM +0100 »

Results

Cool

Difficult version of Silverstone for me. Wasn't able to learn it completely  Roll Eyes. Anyway I could improve
about three seconds during my shortened race. Left the track in turn 1, found myself on an unused part of the
track and completely lost orientation. When I came back I was so far back that I decided to quit.

CU next week.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:40:43 PM +0100 by SpecialKS » Logged

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 06:54:10 PM +0100 »

Results

Cool

Difficult version of Silverstone for me. Wasn't able to learn it completely  Roll Eyes. Anyway I could improve
about three seconds during my shortened race. Left the track in turn 1, found myself on an unused part of the
track and completely lost orientation. When I came back I was so far back that I decided to quit.

CU next week.
Oh dear, never mind Kurt, better luck next time. Thanks for the results as always  thumbup1

Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 10:38:36 PM +0100 »

Not a happy race for me at all, After about a month of smooth running GTL has gone back to it's micro freezes every few minutes. Each lasts probably less than a second but always seem to happen when I need to concentrate the most. Sad 1st one was at the start, I saw the instruction to go but not the countdown. Then I got another entering T3 on lap 1 and had to take to the grass having the freeze right on my braking point. (It was me who caused the mayhem, sorry). Had a few good tussles with Tony, Bob and then misnoimis for a while until another sent me wide and into the kitty litter. Finally it happened at the end of one of the straights and I just hit esc in disgust before it ploughed into the armco and went and shouted at the cat.

I'm going to try a completely clean install and just download the track and car set I need for next week and see how that goes.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com