The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

March 28, 2024, 07:28:27 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: Which series would most of you like to start the new year?
GT3 series - British or European - 6 (25%)
Historic race series - various cars - 5 (20.8%)
Porsche Supercup series using cup car - 7 (29.2%)
Group C series - 6 (25%)
Trackday series - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: New AC series 2017  (Read 6154 times)
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2017, 12:11:48 AM +0000 »

So, now we have timed races in multilayer,  can we do some timed multiclass endurance races with pitstops please?? My suggestion is,

Mixed class: Porsche 911 GT3 Cup and Porsche Cayman GT4 Cup (Possibly include Maserati GT4 and Lotus 2-11 GT4 to mix it up even more)
Rounds: 4 x 1 hour events.
Circuits: Spa, The Ring, Silverstone, Monza (open to discussion)
Rules: Each driver must drive two rounds in the GT4 car and two rounds in the GT3 Cup car. Driver to choose which car for each round.
Pitstops: Yes (Multiple if possible to set)

What we think, could be fun using these cars as we seem to all like them. Running multiclass as well could be fun especially when the aliens will have to do two rounds in the GT4 cars. Could be some close racing but also a tight championship.

I'll probably be mr negative again, but this doesn't sound good in my opinion.

I think you should only do multiclass racing when the grid is 30+, or else you will end up with few to battle with and boring races.

When I think of multiclass racing, i think of prototypes and GT cars, not GT4 and Cup cars. I'd rather see 919 and GT3 field, or maybe 962 with some old car of that era.

1 Hour race isn't endurace, atleats 1,5 hours I think.

Picking a car for a track won't work, as there is a big chance everybody will pick the same class for a track, which will end up being single class racing, or very lobsided. If your direct competition picks a different class for each event, you can have very boring races.
Brocookie

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2017, 10:23:21 AM +0000 »

So, now we have timed races in multilayer,  can we do some timed multiclass endurance races with pitstops please?? My suggestion is,

Mixed class: Porsche 911 GT3 Cup and Porsche Cayman GT4 Cup (Possibly include Maserati GT4 and Lotus 2-11 GT4 to mix it up even more)
Rules: Each driver must drive two rounds in the GT4 car and two rounds in the GT3 Cup car. Driver to choose which car for each round.

What we think, could be fun using these cars as we seem to all like them. Running multiclass as well could be fun especially when the aliens will have to do two rounds in the GT4 cars. Could be some close racing but also a tight championship.

I think you should only do multiclass racing when the grid is 30+, or else you will end up with few to battle with and boring races.

When I think of multiclass racing, i think of prototypes and GT cars, not GT4 and Cup cars. I'd rather see 919 and GT3 field, or maybe 962 with some old car of that era.

Picking a car for a track won't work, as there is a big chance everybody will pick the same class for a track, which will end up being single class racing, or very lobsided. If your direct competition picks a different class for each event, you can have very boring races.

I will second this.

multiclass only works with a large grid and balanced class sizes.

my biggest issue with this proposal though is, that the gt3 cup and gt4 cars are barely different in pace, so there is no real reason to run those classes.

gt3 class and gt4 class would even be too similar. Im all for multiclass (PGT anyone? wink wink) but would prefer larger pace differences between the classes... prototypes and gt or something

Denis Marquardt
Maikel K.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 11:43:51 AM +0000 »

Maybe not exactly multiclass but having 2 different cars were the faster drivers pick the slower ones might make for some fun and close racing. Something like the 2 different 962, only slight difference between those.

Off topic: just read that over at Core Erik was having a similiar disco problem when switching from practise too quali. So it might not be the servers problem after all.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:48:36 AM +0000 by Maikel K. » Logged
Linus27

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2017, 12:05:50 PM +0000 »

The grid size is irrelevant if you select the correct tracks. 5 GT3 and 5 GT4 on something like Brands Indy would still be incredibly busy over an hour and that's only 10 cars. However I take your point and maybe the tracks need reviewing. I did say open to discussion in my opening post.

I picked the 911 GT3 Cup and GT4 cars as they are familiar have attracted popular size grids. So car choice was playing it safe to suit everyone. I for one have no interest in the 919 or 962 but then I am only one person and not the majority.

Most can't commit to long races. My choice would be longer than 1.5 hours but it's just not possible for some.

If most pick the same class then you will get a good spec race like we have already but then those who pick different will have the advantage. That's the fun of it. I guess if the races are declared then you could say you also have to declare your car in advance for the entire championship so some adjustment could be done.

Michael Boylan

Linus27

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 12:08:42 PM +0000 »

So, now we have timed races in multilayer,  can we do some timed multiclass endurance races with pitstops please?? My suggestion is,

I will second this.

multiclass only works with a large grid and balanced class sizes.

my biggest issue with this proposal though is, that the gt3 cup and gt4 cars are barely different in pace, so there is no real reason to run those classes.

gt3 class and gt4 class would even be too similar. Im all for multiclass (PGT anyone? wink wink) but would prefer larger pace differences between the classes... prototypes and gt or something

There's about 5 second or so difference at Spa I think between classes. That's the fun though of them being close as faster drivers in slower cars will be racing the slower drivers with the faster cars and vica versa. Plus drivers who might not get wins or podiums run the chance of getting them when in the faster car. If you did run big differences in cars then yes the pack would get divided and be very boring so it's important to have them fairly close time wise still.

Michael Boylan

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 12:25:15 PM +0000 »

Haha welcome to my world of trying to please everybody  Grin

Sounds like you have volunteered to provide some interim racing between official seasons, well done, I could go with a break as work is mental at the moment.

Linus27

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2017, 04:09:59 PM +0000 »

Haha welcome to my world of trying to please everybody  Grin

Sounds like you have volunteered to provide some interim racing between official seasons, well done, I could go with a break as work is mental at the moment.

Haha I don't envy what you do but I will say you do a fantastic job.

More than happy to suggest ideas between the proper racing. I think we need to run some classic races for sure as everyone is screaming for this and I think it was the 2nd most popular choice in the poll.

Michael Boylan

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2017, 04:30:19 PM +0000 »

How about 962 lt and st with maybe some others cars that are competitive and the gt40 with others?
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2017, 08:36:39 PM +0000 »

I'm game Smiley

Like the suggested GT40 vs Porsche 908? Endurance anyone?
I think the group C deserve a proper championship though...

Perhaps some Lotus 49 @Salzburgring or
...Ferrari 312T vs Lotus 72D...

Supra Mk IV TA vs Ruf yellowbird vs M3 e30 gr.A @ Sugo?

School is important, but race cars are importanter
Linus27

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 10:00:20 PM +0000 »

GT40 and 908 Endurance sounds like fun. Are we talking about a one off endurance race? Any other cars we can add to the mix?

Michael Boylan

Brocookie

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2017, 09:56:47 AM +0000 »

Ford and Porsche arent balanced properly though.

Denis Marquardt
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2017, 12:12:10 PM +0000 »

No, But they're close - The Ford is much harder to drive but I am normally within a second when testing with the same fuel load at various tracks.
Pick a couple of faster tracks Vs twistier and then make everyone stick with there chosen car and it'll balance out as far as points are concerned
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2017, 06:24:47 PM +0000 »

I just tried the Lotus 98T at Brands, that thing is surprisingly easy to drive but still thrilling.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 07:30:09 PM +0000 »

I just tried the Lotus 98T at Brands, that thing is surprisingly easy to drive but still thrilling.

I ran that combo before Jeff, it was awesome. I love the old f1 cars in AC  Cool

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2017, 08:17:34 AM +0000 »

Me too   Grin

School is important, but race cars are importanter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com