Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 12:18:54 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: The 1955 F1 Mod For Grand Prix Legends Is Released  (Read 11190 times)
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2017, 07:24:32 PM +0100 »

Look here  thumbup2

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:34:23 AM +0100 »

Been waiting for this for ages! (Although I will make a real effort to finish off the 67 Works moderations first!).
One question - can someone clarify the track updates. Do any of them actually change the physical track space? Or, other words does it make a difference if I just leave the tracks as they are, with no update. For example I would not want to change Zandvoort if it has to be changed back for the next  67 race. I guess Monaco is different as the 55 version uses the proper chicane, so its a different track to Monaco 67?

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Samb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:24:53 PM +0100 »

Great news! Have been looking forward to trying out this mod for a long time  Smiley.
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:28:57 PM +0100 »

No, nothing is physicaly changed in the tracks!

You can use Monaco or Zandy or Nurby as it is...

Monza 10 k has haybales in the Parabolica that change the physics off track Grin

Axel "Cookie"

Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 04:33:21 PM +0100 »

Which cars handle the best / are easier to learn with? Or are they all a challenge?

Pepe Higdon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 04:55:21 PM +0100 »

Which cars handle the best / are easier to learn with? Or are they all a challenge?

I did a few laps at Monacane in the Gordini. I can report that although it does not handle well and fails to provide even the illusion of speed, its most remarkable feature is the complete absence of brakes. I cannot imagine this car being seen on the podium very often.   Roll Eyes
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 05:10:30 PM +0100 »

As with all years in GPL, the cars are made to imitate reality.  Some handle a bit better - some go a bit faster - some brake slightly better. Roll Eyes  Some laps on a fast track, and some on a tight track, will soon tell you what works best on what track type.  And if you get online, you can compare with other cars.  Learning can be part of the fun . Cool
Pepe Higdon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 05:29:13 PM +0100 »

I wonder if I didn't speak too harshly about the Gordini's brakes. This clever and beautifully designed mod has a brake fade feature with a status indicator light. It is entirely possible that I went deep into the red early on, never gave the brakes time to recover --- Monaco will do that, I've learned --- and  end up blaming the car for the driver's lead foot. It wouldn't be the first time I've done that. Sigh.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 07:18:53 PM +0100 »

Missed this coming out. I know what I'm doing while the Gf is at badminton this weekend then  Grin
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 09:37:58 PM +0100 »

drool drool drool drool

Never has so much been owed, by the many, to the few, who toiled for so long to bring us this mod  clap clap clap clap clap

Now all I have to do is learn how to drive ( and stop!!) these machines.  Undecided

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 07:21:18 AM +0100 »

Have been eagerly awaiting for the 55 mod for some time. Out of the box it looked wonderful. I decided on the Maserati 250f at Aintree, just to get a feel. Stirling Moss set  a 2.00 lap in 1955. I can get an F2 car around about 1.50, so the 55 cars will be slower. I knew about the brake fade feature so I was very sparing with the braking. Nevertheless I can get no more than 2 laps before the brakes are shot. Overall I feeling rather deflated this morning

Samb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 08:40:56 AM +0100 »

You're doing better than me Bill. I had a quick blast around Aintree last night and managed half a lap before cooking the brakes  Shocked. I found throwing the car into corners scrubbed more speed off than braking itself  Grin. Plenty more practice required me thinks.
AndyL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 10:13:54 AM +0100 »

We have a sim, not a game, so if the real life drivers had to contend with such brake fade then we should too. I trust the wonderful modders to have made it all as accurate as possible. The Gordini even has a dashboard clock with working minute and second hands.
The brakes do come back at Monza with braking zones placed far apart.
The times to aim for seem difficult, as they should be.
Around Monza the default setup top speed is about 150mph. What laptimes are we managing at this stage?
2.53 at Monza, 2.05 at Aintree in Maserati/Lancia for me.
Can we have a race soon please to see how bad we all are?
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 11:30:59 AM +0100 »

The only track I have "attacked" so far was Zandvoort when I jumped on a server with Robert Fleurke, Martin Hunt and an old acquaintance, Will Tway, who was tempted back by the 55 mod.

A short qually and race in the Lancia and I was breaking the 1:40 laptime with a setup that still needs some considerable work. First impressions are that these will be great fun to race, with the added twist of that brake fade, IMHO a stroke of genius!! although I was heard to be doubting the programmer's ancestry on the approach to Tarzan on several laps!!!

Just my opinion after one evening at Zandvoort.......
Tried a couple of other cars offline afterwards and:-

The Merc W196 was very smooth and a joy to drive, also dipping under 1:40 after just a couple of laps. Much more to come with what has to be the alpha car.

The Vanwall felt OK, but the 4 speed gearbox felt like a handicap? and I just got that down to 1:40.5 ish.

The Gordini felt like maybe one of the weaker cars and the Connaught might be a challenge too, but being the masochist that I am I might just have to drag these up to speed  Wink.

The Lancia, with a few tweaks to the setup, felt very balanced and predictable and a joy to drive.

Still have the 250F and the Ferraris to try, plus the aero W196 on faster tracks, but I expect them to be at the quick end of the group.

Early days for assessing how to handle the brake fade, but it certainly focuses the mind when the brakes start off OK, and just when you think that all will be OK and you can hit the apex, the retardation vanishes and the barriers invite you into their warm embrace LOL ....huge fun!!

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 04:34:13 PM +0100 »

Tonight 20:00 UK time there will be an open Groundhog 55 mod race (60fpsV2newmod) at Buenos Aires!

Axel "Cookie"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com