The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 26, 2024, 12:06:15 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 1955 mod race series  (Read 16235 times)
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 04:37:28 PM +0100 »

iGor has nowt on the racelist.  Is this true or is it not working?

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 06:28:02 PM +0100 »

I never doubted you Clive  Roll Eyes Glad to hear that GPL is working.

As for the Igor issue, I suspect that is because the server address has changed and you now need to edit the IGOR/settings file

[ RaceListServers ]
IP                        = blw.net

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 06:53:49 PM +0100 »

As for the Igor issue, I suspect that is because the server address has changed and you now need to edit the IGOR/settings file

[ RaceListServers ]
IP                        = blw.net

Spot on!  That's what I did after finding that the old version of iGOR was still working on another pc.  It was using blw.net so I changed it but thanks for the confirmation that I'm not the only person on the planet that has done this.

I was then able to get online and destroy a Vanwall at Silverstone.  Progress indeed!!!

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 07:44:08 PM +0100 »

Wink Well done that man!!  I had every faith in you......no, really I did  Roll Eyes  Grin

I would hazard a guess that it will not be the last Vanwall, or any other 55 car that will end up as part of the scenery!!  Roll Eyes

Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 07:59:34 PM +0100 »

I would hazard a guess that it will not be the last Vanwall, or any other 55 car that will end up as part of the scenery!!  Roll Eyes

Very true.  Trying to drive without using the brakes is a challenge!

Since the aliens used to be able to use a Cooper at Zandvoort and go faster than my Lotus, telling me afterwards that they only use the brakes once a lap, I decided that Zand might be a good place to learn.  Now managed 11 laps in the same car on the default setup, culminating in a 1:45.

Good fun at the minute but then I haven't tried to race anyone!  That always gets depressing!

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 09:37:31 PM +0100 »

I hate to tell you this but,

The general consensus of opinion amongst the faster guys in the 55's is that you have to slide them into the corners to scrub off speed, then sort of 4 wheel drift/power slide them through the apex to carry the speed. Personally I did not find that a problem, but it seems that it is the only way to get close to the benchmark times given with each of the circuits.

BTW Aintree is a real beast, because there are so many critical braking zones, and the last couple of turns after the long straight suck you in and then spit you out when you discover that the braking is reduced to zero!!

I have just heard from Bernie, who retired from GPL on health grounds a little while back.
He has had a pacemaker fitted, but apparently they put the wrong model in !?!?!?  So, he has to have it changed in the next 4-5 weeks but has no fixed date yet.  He is hoping that he can make it to Oulton Park on the 10th June for a pie and a pint with myself and Andy. it will be good to finally meet a legend of UKGPL and put a face to all those comic comments on the forum .

Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 10:08:12 AM +0100 »

Any clues on how to get the virtual mirror across the top, or am I getting confused with other sims?  Huh

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 03:08:40 PM +0100 »

Hi folks!  This seems an old familiar part of the Web scenery.  Cheesy

Virtual mirrors require special fabrication, and were not invented back in the 1950's.  1971 Can-Am's needed virtual's for safety, but at Mod release, our GPL God's decreed no modifications to be allowed for 6 months.  So I suspect the same will apply here.  2 round ones are available, as per specification. 

I see no race dates, or track lineup yet?  Might be worthwhile to invite spectators, as well as racers from Ukgpl.  One or 2 tracks with corners added, to show observers how it's done.  One brave volunteer here. Grin
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 05:16:06 PM +0100 »

No need to over do the corners!  Just one or two will suffice!   Grin

Would be a good idea to keep away from Monaco and Nurburgring until some level of competence is reached.

Monaco on its own could kill this mod at birth!

Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 08:18:13 PM +0100 »

The big problem, as I see it, is that I'm so not in control of these cars that they are making me travel-sick!

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 09:35:39 PM +0100 »

Pick any car on it's default setup, Clive.  Go to Spa67 and backoff nice and early, then add some throttle though the turns.  Enjoy the scenery for awhile, before exploring more of it. Wink
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 10:34:44 PM +0100 »

If you race on a night I can attend then I will definitely be up for some races  Cool
As for Monaco killing off the mod, whistling I was loving the day (ahem) I spent there at the weekend driving all the cars
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 09:58:05 AM +0100 »

As for Monaco killing off the mod, whistling I was loving the day (ahem) I spent there at the weekend driving all the cars

LOL
As you say, it's fun to drive around but I still recall an early race un UKGPL, probably Div 4, where just about the entire field crashed at the chicane and the mods just ran away and hid!

BTW  Am I going to need 60fps for this exercise?  Unless it is part of the installer I haven't done that.

Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 12:02:52 PM +0100 »

No iGOR racelist?

60fps seems to be working.

Still can't do a lap of Monaco!

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 12:14:36 PM +0100 »

Worth noting Clive that not all servers on Igor run at 60fps, although UKGPL based servers have adopted that patch. You will need to turn off/on within GEM to suit.
If you get some odd graphic frame jumps when you join a new server then it is an almost certain bet that you don't have the correct frame rate running.

As for Monaco in 55's...................... I did a few laps in the Gordini last weekend in an attempt to reach the benchmark laptime.
I failed, but during my efforts I came to realise that the gearbox is probably your best friend (cos the brakes most certainly are NOT!!), even to the extent of setting ratios for retardation effect over absolute acceleration. Generally ( excluding the wet fart that is the Gordini), these cars have enough grunt to spin tyres with minimal provocation, so utilising the gearbox makes sense. Plus, slowing sufficiently and getting through the next corner should be the absolute focus, even though it feels woefully slow. I was almost braking for corner 2 before I had accelerated out of corner 1!!!

Rank   Only when I sweat
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com