Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 19, 2024, 10:30:25 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
Forthcoming
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S31 Reims: July 23, 2017
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 31 Fun - Reims 55 - Jul 23  (Read 2675 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 08:40:01 AM +0100 »

Anyway this mod is very fun ,is more important the management of the brake than the speed.

Agreed.

I thought that I had the brakes tamed but after a few laps the green light didn't seem to be worth as much as it was at the start!  Or perhaps there is another factor, who knows?  
More races are needed in order to find out.  ;-)

I'm glad that someone else has mentioned the "apparent progressive brake fade". I wonder if it is a real issue, or simply that we push a little deeper into the corners when battle starts? 
I have done very little with these cars since a flurry when they were first released, and that lack of practice was evident in last night race.
I was braking much earlier than other cars and still not making the corners every time. but that might have been the poor brakes on my chosen car?
On the evidence of last nights race we are going to have more issues with moderating incidents in the braking zones, where cars at the back of the pack run out of brakes and become bowling balls. I noticed a few incidents involving multiple cars and if this was not a fun race there might have been a few reports going in to the moderators?

Perhaps members should give their views on how we handle the inevitable incidents of brake fade problems.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 09:22:22 AM +0100 »

I thought that I had the brakes tamed but after a few laps the green light didn't seem to be worth as much as it was at the start!  Or perhaps there is another factor, who knows? 

Keep in mind that this track is not a problem for the brake.Also if the brake becomes red you have long straights to recover the green.Different is on other tracks like Aintree ,to not speak about Monaco.

Agreed again.

I have raced at Aintree and Monaco so I know exactly what you mean.

But I stll couldn't slow down enough on a few occassions.  Perhaps it was the slipstream effect but I'm not sure that this would explain my inability to stop at T4.  In the heat of battle it is difficult to watch everything and sadly I forgot to save a replay so I can't put the offending laps through the analyser.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
bagrupp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 09:38:44 AM +0100 »

Well, i experienced the same issue but i thought its because my driving skill is not as constant as yours.

The brake fade seems to react a little random, which is maybe even realistic ?
it's quite difficult, i also think the car react's more instable in acceleration when the brakes are red.

The next issue, shifting down under engine break with some 15 km/h too fast ends in a spin in the breaking zone. But we will have some funny races, i'm sure. But there must be taken more care
with these cars, for sur.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 09:49:59 AM +0100 »

You need to remember that the light on the dash only has 3 settings. Green doesn't mean stone cold it means ' working nicely'.
After 2 or 3 laps of hard breaking you aren't getting the brakes down to the same level as at the start of the race, so you'll hit fade earlier.

Even with the disks on the Connaught I had to manage my breaking into turn 5 to avoid suffering fade.
With the 2 English cars the disks only allow you to brake harder,  I'm finding little advantage in ability to absorb or dissipate heat so far.

My race was exactly as expected until I was rear ended by greg in T2, I'm guessing this was due to his pc woes as brakefade wouldn't have been an issue there. This effectively put paid to my race for the podium as I rejoined dead last about a mile behind the leaders and didn't have the power to catch up again when out of the tow. Happy enough to salvage 5th though.  It was very nearly 3rd but the Lancia I tried to go around the outside of on the last corner understeered wildly out at me so I had to lift Sad
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 11:08:41 AM +0100 »

You need to remember that the light on the dash only has 3 settings. Green doesn't mean stone cold it means ' working nicely'.
After 2 or 3 laps of hard breaking you aren't getting the brakes down to the same level as at the start of the race, so you'll hit fade earlier.

Spot on Tim, which is why I spent the first half of qually on full tanks doing continuous laps to make sure that my elected braking regime wasn't going to come unstuck.  Everything was hunkydory until I had the rest of you lot to contend with.

I must say that I'm really enjoying the extra challenge of the '55mod but a lot of patience will be needed by those taking part.  It isn't the version of GPL that one should use as an introduction to on-line racing.   Grin

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 01:36:55 PM +0100 »

I came along to see the show, from the rear of the field, but found myself up to 4th early on, as others brake-faded into the distance. 

Fading comes from the 55 'physics' doing what drum brakes do more slowly.  They remove heat more slowly, which makes maximum braking not always possible.  Huge brake drums, and cooling fins could not fix this.  Discs would soon fix this, but were new and experimental in 1955.

Brake fade started out worse in Mod testing, along with more frequent mechanical failures.  Getting optimum performance configured into them, took some persuasion.  According to the figures available, we're now getting the maximum stopping power possible.

Getting the cars slowed down correctly was and is, a big part of the challenge, and needs some learning.  It's the downside of our quest for racing realism.  Note  :  use of trees for assistance shall be considered, unsporting.  Onwards to glory!   Grin 
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 02:35:49 PM +0100 »

One small additional note of I may?
Any chance these fun races can stick to the normal 9pm slot?
I know it's only half an hour but even a 9 O clock start is pushing it for me as I have to walk the dog at 5 on work days  Wink
Only really managed last night as I have today off to collect my track car from the body shop..
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 03:51:45 PM +0100 »

It was a tad late.

francesco

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 05:29:45 PM +0100 »

On the evidence of last nights race we are going to have more issues with moderating incidents in the braking zones, where cars at the back of the pack run out of brakes and become bowling balls. I noticed a few incidents involving multiple cars and if this was not a fun race there might have been a few reports going in to the moderators?

The pilots must learn how this brakes work,many have used the brake like in the other mods.When all have learned i think we could have beautiful races,always with the possible brake fade unknown.
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 05:39:06 PM +0100 »

. . . . It's environmentally friendly to stay green. angel
Pelle_B

Bang & Olufsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 11:24:01 PM +0100 »

Strange, could not Log-In here for a long time, remember my name but not password...today, no problem  Undecided
GT was kind enough to put my report into his post, Thx...unfortunately, not all car brands are right in this 55 mod. Huh For example Mercedes has become Brabham.

Reims Report

Installed this 55 mod yesterday - followed links from Post #1 & everything worked perfectly - that is, the word perfect can't be used for the brakes, really a shock. Shocked
It can be a fun detail to follow reality, but I think it will create many situations in brake duels where it will end in crash.

Reims Race:
No matter the bad brakes, long ago I've had so much fun, really a good experience with cars from the same year...yes, I was born laugh
Big Grats to Axel & Alessandro thumbup2 The fight for 3rd...absolutely amazing race, thank you to all of you thumbup1

Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 10:10:56 AM +0100 »

...unfortunately, not all car brands are right in this 55 mod. Huh For example Mercedes has become Brabham.

Those cars with "wrong" GPLRA brands are the Mercedes SL and the Ferrari 625, they were added late as bonus cars Wink

Even though I was test driver, I still have massive problems under braking sometimes...
Worst case is to brake in a tow where the speed is higher and the tow neutralises the brake deceleration,
thats how I lost my 2nd position in L1 to the last place...

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Pelle_B

Bang & Olufsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 01:56:55 PM +0100 »

...unfortunately, not all car brands are right in this 55 mod. Huh For example Mercedes has become Brabham.

Those cars with "wrong" GPLRA brands are the Mercedes SL and the Ferrari 625, they were added late as bonus cars Wink

Thx for info, Report changed...I hope for the right cars Grin ...If not, just refresh your browser when you're on the page.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:14:21 PM +0100 by Pelle_B » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com