The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 19, 2024, 10:32:59 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Cars 2  (Read 7617 times)
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 09:42:42 PM +0100 »

Just had a quick go.

Graphics: Looks better than on videos, probably same as PC1, but slightly less than AC. Weather effects look really good tho.
Sounds: Seem fine.
Physics: Tried the M1, which felt a bit tame and easy to drive, but probably wasn't pushing that much. But overall it felt pretty good. Then the Sauber C9 which felt a bit weird, back of the car seemed to steer away without it feeling like oversteer. Same with the M6 GT3, sometimes the rear steps out a bit but immediatly it regains grip.

But let's talk rain...oh my that rain  Grin. Visibility gets a lot less and following a car closely really requires wipers on full speed. Track gets full of puddles and they are lethal  Shocked. You hit a puddle at high speed and you will almost certainly veer off into the barrier. That feels really realistic and makes you sit on the edge of your seat. Was driving at Road America and there was a large puddle at the exit of the long right hander, so you really had to take a different line to catch the sudden understeer as you cross that puddle. Makes you take different lines and really makes you look for grip.

FFB: Didn't really tweak a lot, but FFB felt fine.

Overall it's not that bad, atleast what I tried. AI is terrible, but I don't care as I only race online. I prefer AC's physics and feel from the few laps I tried, but it's not bad. Probably no competition for AC when it comes to physics and FFB, but not that far off or "simcade".
For me the big thing about this game is the weather, all the other stuff I can get in AC. Not going to buy it when it's not going to be used for online racing, as I don't care for offline races. Would probably be a better idea to wait a few months for patches and see how the game develops, but to me it's not a game I'll never come back to.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2017, 10:37:50 AM +0100 »

May sound strange but my first drive was in a GT86 around Brands GP. Wanted a car that handles well but that doesnt have too much grip to it.

Car setups look quite different than in pc1, rather more options as well, but defaults are alot better. Brakes feel very sensitive which reminds me of iR. Stated a quick 10 lap race in GT4's but was really struggling locking up the rears as i was try to brake too hard. Not convinced triples work properly as you still have the FOV setting but finally got it looking ok, but dont feel its that different from pc1. Alot of the menus and setup pages dont fit well on the centre screen so decided to trying running the full bezel correct size but the game couldnt handle it as it was shifted to the left with a black edge on the other side.

Actually prefer the UI on 1 rather than 2. Car selection pictures look a bit rubbish

Some tracks are laser scanned and look amazing, others less so, had a quick go in the community timetrials around Knockhill in a caterham which was fun as your sideways everywhere but the track textures looked a bit poor.

Its hardly a big leap from PC1, especialy being a year after PC1, and does feel like more of a car pack; its hard not smile when you see the cars available, huge GT3 field, GT1s, group5's etc

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 01:07:18 PM +0100 »

Had another go with this, and dislike it even more now.
The sounds are "ok" though a bit weedy, tried a couple of cars at some tracks, tried Bathurst as I know that from
other sims, and I got to the 2nd turn and gave up. Quit from game. probably neve to return unless someone
finds something good to try. I can't imagine how anyone on here can like it?
The cars have not even a vague notion of real world handling, very arcade to me, do they do refunds.....

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 01:54:02 PM +0100 »

do they do refunds.....
I think if you bought it from Steam and have played for less than2 hours I think you can get your money back.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 04:26:46 PM +0100 »

Thanks, Yep I went an have requested a refund

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 06:19:22 PM +0100 »

Hmm not exactly glowing reviews on here then! Think I'll wait a while longer and see if it's improved over time with patches and fixes and read some post release reviews first.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 06:47:02 PM +0100 »

They have refunded me, no trouble
If I had seen this and all I had done was geoff Cramond's F1 I woiuld be gob smacked with wonder
but I have seen other better things.

The cars, at least the few I tried, don't handle as well as GTL never mind R3E or AC.
Some of the cars in AC are rubbish, boxter for e.g wanders around the road as if it's
not connected to the track, some of the cars in R3E are also poorly crafted, but the cars in
this feel more like playing doom, they just change direction like an arcade game.
Perhaps if I had stuck with it, and tried more cars I might have got to like it
but initial impressions were very low. Some bloke telling you what the menus did summed it
up rather. I KNOW WHAT a codding STEERING WHEEL DOES!!!!  Cheesy
Unfair, but that was my personal experience.

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 06:49:40 PM +0100 »

Hmm not exactly glowing reviews on here then! Think I'll wait a while longer and see if it's improved over time with patches and fixes and read some post release reviews first.

Same here.

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2017, 07:10:25 PM +0100 »

what are people waiting for/ expecting? People seem to be expecting the second coming, the level of hatred i've seen in the last few days on facebook. Its another sim/game title thats broadly similar to all the others on the market!

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2017, 07:12:40 PM +0100 »

If you hype something up to be a world beater, and it's more of a carpet beater, expect derision.

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 07:47:14 PM +0100 »

All i've seen is them comparing/ aim it it to GT or Forza i think it was.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 07:51:27 PM +0100 »

and that is probably a good comparison, I am not, and I think most of the people on here are not
in that market. If it was the only thing that anyone was running on line I would use it
but I don't need to because AC and R3E do the "simulation" approach much better IMHO

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 10:24:52 PM +0100 »

Hmm...
https://youtu.be/C1XmIS8NaQ4

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2017, 10:38:43 PM +0100 »

Watched that review few days ago, incredibly bad review. He hardly goes into detail about things and just rambles on.

Game is all over the place at the moment and it has its high and lows. Probably better than GT and Forza, but worst than AC IMO.

I can guarantee one thing, if you want to race offline, don't buy this. It's the worst AI ever and it's an absolute joke. No idea how it got released in such a state.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 05:52:57 PM +0100 »

Still persevering with this but for a period wasnt sure if i wanted to carry on and go back to PC1 as really its not too different. Biggest issue for me is the triple support, struggling to get it looking right with too many options to change it. Also the FFB, taking time to 'learn what its telling me'. Not as detailed as AC to be honest at time, but in PC1 you could reduce the centring spring/ damper easier which transformed it. Every game does FFB differently anyway.

Been doing a number of pick up online races but they still havent improved the general user-friendliness of it. When your in a server you have no idea on session lengths, the race distance or anything. Interesting seeing there approach on an online license but not sure how it really affects you race by race.

Thankfully something has changed and now the loose setups are driveable! But setups only load properly when you save it again and actually never realised there were different setups to load for the cars. Why it defaulted to the loose setups i dont know, it would have ruined the game for me.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com