Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 08:06:42 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S31 Monaco: August 13, 2017
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 31 Fun - Monaco - Aug 13  (Read 2353 times)
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:41:06 PM +0100 »

S31 - 55 F1 - Fun Race – Monaco

Next Fun event with the 55s takes place at Monaco, the 55s track with the highest brake wear ...

The event is unmoderated – but the usual high standards are expected.

Works/Pro drivers should not use a silver car

Unlimited Shift R is allowed & there are no Stop & Go’s. But please be carefull...

Race listiGOR
ServerUKGPL_8
IP addresslook at IGOR
Date13-08-2017
TrackMonaco
Mod55F1 with 60fpsV2newmod
Damage INT long
Race time~ 21:30 UK time
Qualifying 20:45 UK time - 45 minutes
Race length25 laps
Replay get here

Please restrict chat to emergency messages only including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

GLA and FUN

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 12:54:57 PM +0100 »

Not Monacane for added machoscism realism then?  Grin
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 01:27:00 PM +0100 »

Monocane is not accurate in chicanery.  It's tighter than the real one was, and the camber approaching is tricky too.  Hope remains amongst the debris, for a 100% realistic version someday.
Does anyone know of a fix for the Fez 555 brake indicator light? My 2 minute try showed me that it didn't work...
The recently released Update patch might have a replacement light bulb with it.  BTW, dashboards did not originally have green, yellow or red lightbulbs.  They're a modern GPL aid.  Originally, drivers could more easily feel their limit, and smell burning brakes.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:20:38 PM +0100 »

OOOOOOH!!  Martin you are a tease!!   Shocked Shocked

Does this mean that the 55 modders are working on a "smellysim"!,  where we will be able to ignore the red lights and detect the deteriorating brakes with our olfactory senses?Huh  All ex Wazas who have been trained to drive blindfolded with a white headband and only by sense of smell will have a huge advantage  Grin Grin Grin

Those guys at Mod Central are so clever. Shocked

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 03:22:20 PM +0100 »

I've sensed the Evil smell of victory has thusfar been missing from 1955.  Something else missing from the tracks, is tyre debris caused by overheating.  Tyre failure was modelled in later Sims.  Instead, ours eventually overheat and loose grip, for we talented few who corner askew habitually, or spin several times a lap.

There were no soft compounds before the 1960's.  Hard, old fashioned rubber remained inflexible, up to the point of melting.  No warmup needed for full performance.  Our guru's have stretched our rubberized tyre properties to their limit, to make them more as was. 

GP cars of pre-55 ilk, often needed new tyres mid-race.  That would mean brake fade, and tyre wear for us to battle with, and against.  Mod work has become low on talent, but if an earlier mod is someday completed, we may need to be high on talent to race it.     
Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:40:11 PM +0100 »

Does this mean that the 55 modders are working on a "smellysim"!,  where we will be able to ignore the red lights and detect the deteriorating brakes with our olfactory senses?Huh 

I had my own version of that a few laps in when approaching the hairpin at the BA race. Hit the brakes and nearly s*!t myself. Didn't smell like brake dust though.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 03:36:06 PM +0100 »

It could have been the brakes John! I understand that they tried some very inventive and agricultural compound mixes back in the day.....or that might be pure bullsh*t?? Roll Eyes

Rank   Only when I sweat
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 09:38:10 PM +0100 »

Lasted all of 20 seconds after the flag dropped before mayhem and my laptop overheated.

New computer needed for Grand Prix Legends. Sad

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 10:41:13 PM +0100 »

Sorry the mayhem was my fault, Tim was very slow starting and I went to the left where Bastian allready was...

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 11:21:05 PM +0100 »

Sorry the mayhem was my fault, Tim was very slow starting and I went to the left where Bastian allready was...

Not to worry Axel, I thought it was a great move.  I passed underneath one of you and was able to concentrate on the cars in front, there being nothing in my mirrors after the first corner.  First time that a Monaco start has ever worked in my favour!

And I've made the podium!!

I started from 5th on the grid but, as Axel has said, 4th and 3rd touched when the flag fell and all hell broke loose. Being up close to the incident helped because the cars were still in the air when I passed. Those behind were not so lucky and I exited T1 in 3rd and with not a soul in my mirrors. Perfect!

I was holding on to the two cars in front until the red one came to grief at the chicane. After that it was just Tim Muttram in front of me. The gap varied a bit as we each managed our brakes and I kept him in sight until about half distance.

I then had my usual low fps attack but this time there was nobody sat on my tail to hit me as I struggled through it. After that Tim was long gone and without me to think about he gradually pulled away.

The backmarkers who I encountered were very well behaved and didn't cause me to compromise my brake management, for which I was most grateful.

Congratulations to Tim on a great drive. I'm not yet fully converted back to gpl mode but I'm getting there. ;-)

Thanks to Axel for running the event. Doubt that I will make next week's race as we are moving house two days later and who knows when the internet will arrive at our new place. However, a full-on mancave is planned with a proper sim racing setup. After a full day of shifting heavy boxes, and the like, my back almost locked up on me as I squirmed about on my office chair. Can't wait!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:01:51 AM +0100 by Clive Loynes » Logged

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Samb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 08:46:37 AM +0100 »

That was my first race with UKGPL in the 55 beasts, and it's fair to say I haven't unlocked their potential just yet.

Managed a few laps before a misjudged move on Doni into Tabac ended in disaster. Sorry to see you retire after that Doni, my fault completely and one to learn when we're starting the season proper.

A few laps from then I was struggling with brake management so threw in the towel before I was a menace to any other unfortunate racers.

I was seriously impressed with the leaders managing to brake so late into the corners. When I tried that I cooked them straight away! The engine braking wasn't quite as strong as I was hoping for. More practice is needed methinks.
bagrupp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 08:54:55 AM +0100 »

Struggeling with brakes a bit in the first half especially in the last two corners,
later a bit more conservative but there is still way to go. First Maserati drive,
ok but i just like my silver car.

No worries Axel, i hope you hab a good flight. Wink
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 09:55:58 AM +0100 »

Grats to the podium, but especially to Tim who I suspect has been practising with the Gordini and finding ways to make it fly around Monaco.

The pile up at the start effectively killed any chance of getting a taste of champagne, I think I was almost dead last when GPL allowed me to respawn.

Fighting my way back up through the field proved just how difficult it can be in these cars, trying to force the pace with brakes that vanish just when you need them. Another issue that I think I recognised for the first time in the new 55 cars is how difficult it is too avoid someone else's incident when you have no brakes. Twice I came upon road blocks with cars strewn across the track and although I had seen the yellow flags and eased off, there was no way of stopping myself joining in.

I suspect that Monaco made this more noticeable with the limited space to take avoiding action, but it is something for everyone  to look out for in the coming season.

Rank   Only when I sweat
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 02:07:10 PM +0100 »

Gave this one a miss because I could not manage the brakes, or manage to drive without them. Looking at the results there were a couple of stand out performances
 Tim dominating the race in the little Gordini & Fran who seems to have worked out these cars. Even in the Merc 3rd place is impressive on what was pretty much a Pro grid.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 02:24:49 PM +0100 »

Gave this one a miss because I could not manage the brakes, or manage to drive without them. Looking at the results there were a couple of stand out performances
 Tim dominating the race in the little Gordini & Fran who seems to have worked out these cars. Even in the Merc 3rd place is impressive on what was pretty much a Pro grid.

Are you going to be changing your logon name to Billy 55 Can'tbrake?   Roll Eyes

Graham Poole came around a couple of weeks back to try out the 55mod.  He thought that six months solid practice might just get him in touch with the back row of the grid.

I'm impressed with the people who can do this as well as the other mods.  To me this is one on its own.  When I drove GPL before, the brake was part of the steering geometry!  You just can't do that with these beasts.  There is nothing quite so gratifying as hearing the tyres squeal as you change down!

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com