The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 19, 2024, 10:50:41 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Next series  (Read 12248 times)
Baikal

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 23, 2018, 03:35:12 AM +0000 »

The 917/30 is horrible IIRC, let's hope he means the normal 917.
I am not so sure in case of FMG's thoughts  Cheesy
I think he is sometimes dreaming about more than  1200 hp in 917\30 drift yet  Grin
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:44:02 AM +0000 by Baikal » Logged

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 23, 2018, 03:37:01 AM +0000 »

917k naturally  Smiley
God bless you and your family , Mark   yes Smiley
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:42:52 AM +0000 by Baikal » Logged

SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 23, 2018, 08:00:28 AM +0000 »

The 917/30 is horrible IIRC, let's hope he means the normal 917.
I am not so sure in case of FMG's thoughts  Cheesy
I think he is sometimes dreaming about more than  1200 hp in 917\30 drift yet  Grin

It's not that bad once you've tamed the setup a bit any got your head around how to drive it. On low boost its actually quite tame/pleasant.
It's only from about 60% up it becomes evil  devil

As for drifting it, it can be done - but it's incredibly hard at high boost.

Don't take it to the 'Ring though, it gives flugplatz an even more literal meaning than usual Grin
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 23, 2018, 11:15:43 AM +0000 »

ohh i thought 917-30 also  Grin

School is important, but race cars are importanter
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 23, 2018, 12:46:17 PM +0000 »

ohh i thought 917-30 also  Grin

well we haven't raced this car either nor the Moby Dicks so always scope for another fun/test race sometime. Imagine racing the 917/30 at somewhere like Bridgehampton  Shocked but would probably use it somewhere its legs can get stretched like Road America or Mosport.

The 917k is no slouch! Bizarrely it looks faster from replay cameras than it does from the cockpit.

The flipside of using these exotica is often smaller grids as people get scared off them, whereas I love them for one-off's at least.

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 23, 2018, 02:19:54 PM +0000 »

I've been having a play at 1975 version of Interlagos with some of the quicker cars including the 917/30 over the last couple of days. Hadn't even thought of lowering the boost from it's default 80% until FMG mentioned it  Cool  Exiting those long corners with high boost was a recipe for snap oversteer but lowering the boost made a huge difference to the ease of driving the beast and actually produced quicker laptimes.

I struggle to make any races these days but would try to make any of these historic series.

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 15, 2019, 09:50:41 AM +0000 »

well, its getting towards that time again where thoughts need to go to the next series. What the heck do you bunch of complainers want to race next?  laugh

I had planned to run a Porsche supercup style series using the F1 calendar like the real deal, but SRW pipped me to it with his own sunday planned porsche series.  Or an historic F1 series using the great mod that we tested out, as long as we had enough takers to make a series out of it  Undecided
A cup series using Cayman GT4's or something else.
Other than that i am open to suggestions as my motivation is dwindling.. cowboy

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 15, 2019, 10:10:51 AM +0000 »

Anything good for me except the two race format.
nfsw55

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 15, 2019, 11:07:21 AM +0000 »

LMP1's Tongue
KDiesel

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 15, 2019, 02:39:39 PM +0000 »

Old F1's, LMP's, Alfa 33 stradale, Audi Quattro vs. Celica( no idea how that works tho), DTM's...for starters. Smiley Fast tracks & discoballs,  thats all I think.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 15, 2019, 03:39:45 PM +0000 »

LMP's are too niche and difficult to setup. I would get probably 6-9 cars at most each week and only 4 or 5 of them would be set up properly and practised with appropriately  Tongue
I prefer old LMP in the shape of a 917K  Wink

Alfa 33 is a lovely car and i offered it as a historics series but most went for the Alfa GTA...ironically  Tongue

DTM is a good shout though and the test race went well that we ran.  Smiley  but would the car performance differences tell too much over a series?  Undecided  Certainly appeals though, as does historic F1.

Baikal

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 15, 2019, 06:22:18 PM +0000 »

When Shaun left RD i've lost contact with him. Last ver of TCR was not so fun for me, due not so good suspentions feels. But he told me he making a huge upgrade his FWD cars. May be anyone find and tested the new versions? Anyway i'd prefer to test his cars first and then recommend or not it to series.
He planned to build his own website but.. still not .

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:00:46 PM +0000 by Baikal » Logged

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 15, 2019, 07:44:36 PM +0000 »

You should to publicize the next things as much as possible. And, even doing so, not necessarily new players will join. I realize that it is difficult to have a good number of racers. The "virtual racing world" is really too divided into many small and quite closed groups. Sad but true.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2019, 10:07:45 AM +0000 »

Alfa 33 is a lovely car and i offered it as a historics series but most went for the Alfa GTA...ironically  Tongue

Most said they'd race any of the above actually Tongue
I think the GTA's edged it as they were touring cars so should be closer racing, the irony is that the 33 drives much more like a modern car so would probably be friendlier to people who struggle with the Alfa's rear wheel steer characteristics.

To go back to the point Fabri made a few posts back, advertising in advance is key. And by in advance I mean a recruitment post in the relevant section of AC boards a month so so in advance with all of the details already decided on and posted. In the case of the AC/RD posts we have, the first post should be edited to only refer to the current upcoming series - plus of course another new post added at the back to allow people to respond to it or ask questions.
In the case of a GPL mod season I'm happy to post in the UKGPL section and/or PM people I know who have AC. Again, they will need lots of notice as many of them race in the Wednesday night GTL series and won't simply drop out of an ongoing season - this will apply to all potential racers elsewhere too.

For series, stick to race cars - I can't think of any road cars that would be worth racing baring perhaps the S1 AE86 Corrola's. Tuned road Ferrari's and similar are always disaster as they were never intended to race in the first place - STD is the only way to go with supercars and they are still mostly just annoying.

I would imagine a Cayman GT4 series might get a half decent grid, but haven't spent enough time in the car to see if they're fun to drive. If they're better than the Evora's then that can only be a good thing Wink

Classic DTM should at least match that. For the GT4's I'd recommend a 30 or 40 min race - maybe throw in a mandatory pit stop to spice things up, in the recent sunday races the stops have allowed for a variety of strategies to be employed in the race.
The DTM's would work well with either same rules or a 2x 20 min format, I'm not sure the reverse grid format helps numbers though. All it seems to do is encourage accidents, which in turn put drivers off. Fast drivers that are constantly hit off become fed up, and slower drivers are totally put off because they get rear ended by faster drivers or spin avoiding them in the 2nd race.

The Mk4 MX5's would be an absolute hoot with a decent grid, and with decent advertising should fetch one too - they're one of the closest forms of motorsport on the planet after all!

Caterhams would be fantastic but I worry they'd be far too niche (they'd also backrupt me, I recently downloaded the 1700 supersprint mod. and spent 10 mins sat in it in VR getting misty eyed over my old 7 - I keep looking at R400/500's now...)

I think the Formula Easter cars would be an utter blast as they are simple to drive and setup, and have a massive variety of cars available that lap very closely - but again I fear that would be too niche as people would see 1300 Lada and and just think slow (which they aren't).

Same goes for the Suzuki Alto mod, utterly hilarious fun with a big grid (like the early grids in the TCR races), but as so many people think slow cars can't be fun we'd get about 5 people of different speeds who would be bored to death.

The historic Formula Fords might garner interest, but are just as hard to drive fast in AC as I remember them being in real life Grin

I think there's a Lambo Gallardo trophy car in AC? If that's nice to drive it could be an Italian flavoured alternative to the 911 cup.
Fabri Fibra

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2019, 04:23:00 PM +0000 »

I think FMG has summarized the situation well.

I would add that almost the players-number would be roughly the same at the moment, whether for GTA, Evora, 33 or anything else proposed. The players has been reduced by at least 4-5 components compared to the championships with the Lotus 25 and Porsche 962. Obviously, people can sometimes have no more time (maybe for real life things) to race virtually.

TCR is different case. These cars are "similar" (perhaps improper term) to GT3s. I mean, they make possible close battles. A type of car that is excellent for who is looking for competition in the first place, and less the driving/sensations.
Players want this kind of cars; 80% of them use these stuff. Also other groups around did/are doing series with those things. And this is why TCR had good numbers.

However, the TCR championship showed that it was not always so easy overtake. The format 2 x 20 mins often does hurries and also creates confusion (maybe just my impression). Just to give an example, I was hitted the 40% of race 2. For me this is not an excessive problem, because I like recovering from back. But for others this means quit the champ.

About cars, I fully agree with FMG. I like the Alfa GTA (although I'm not fast with her). Also Caterham are funny, as I said. Of course I prefer F1 and prototypes.
For a motor-enthusiast like me (and I believe there are many around), F1, its circuits and its pilots, have made the history of the Motorsport. Same for prototypes.

I recently did a championship in another group with the GPL mod. I started as a reserve because I signed up late. Since the second race I had a car. There were over 30 players signed for 1st race, at the last race (7th) only 12.  Roll Eyes
In any case, I've met some (very fast) drivers who are very passionate about these cars. I could try to contact them via PM.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com