The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 09:18:03 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: using phone for VR  (Read 213 times)
SRW
Sunday Supremo
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2018, 08:10:56 PM +0000 »

Has anyone got any experience of using their phone as a VR headset on AC or RRE?

I have been reading about steamVR and vridge and was thinking about giving it a go
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:42:10 PM +0000 »

I've tried it in the past with TrinusVR, but was never able to get the right settings to make it work. Hope others can be more helpful, as I'd like to try again.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 08:31:06 AM +0000 »

I've can't comment on the phone method as have never tried it, but my understanding is that phones rely entirely on their internal gyros for position.
As a result you only get 2 or 3 degrees of freedom instead of the 6 you get out of a rift/vive.

That should be enough to be fair bit I've no idea what sort of angular resolution a phone can achieve, which might prove to be immersion breaking (Rift/Vive will position you to sub mm accuracy within the play area).

Another important one is to make sure that any phone option you use allows you to focus to infinity - otherwise you'll have serious eye strain after even sort usage, a full race would probably be painful.

Rift/Vive trick you into seeing in 3D, I don't know if phones apps can do this? And it's the depth perception from the 3D which is the biggest benifit in VR when racing . The whole being the car having to look at mirrors and being able to get out while parked thing is just icing.
SRW
Sunday Supremo
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:24:47 PM +0000 »

after doing some research it turns out my phone doesn't have a gyro in it  Sad . so no cheap VR for me
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com