Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 10:25:46 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S31 Aintree: August 27, 2017
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 31 Fun - Aintree 55 - Aug 27  (Read 1374 times)
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2017, 12:51:38 PM +0100 »

S31 - 55 F1 - Fun Race – Aintree 55

In the north of England, Aintree is undoubtedly famous for the iconic Grand National horse race but for several years it reverberated to the sound of horses of a different kind. The circuit was built in 1954 and hosted the Formula One British Grand Prix five times, in 1955, 1957, 1959, 1961 and 1962. Stirling Moss, driving a Mercedes, won his first British Grand Prix at Aintree in 1955.  It was the first time a British driver had won his home Grand Prix. The first British driver / British car victory in a British Grand Prix was also at Aintree in 1957, when Stirling Moss and Tony Brooks shared a Vanwall. Quite why Grand Prix racing stopped at Aintree is unclear.  The close proximity of housing may have been a factor but the circuit would no doubt have needed to improve safety standards.  The original track can still be seen, and driven on, today. The lack of any run-off areas in the section to the west of the Melling Road all too apparent. The section to the east of the Melling Road which is wide open and relatively safe is still in regular use for motorcycle racing.

The event is unmoderated – but the usual high standards are expected.

Works/Pro drivers should not use a silver car

Unlimited Shift R is allowed & there are no Stop & Go’s. But please be carefull...

Race listiGOR
ServerUKGPL_8
IP addresslook at IGOR
Date27-08-2017
TrackAintree
Mod55F1 with 60fpsV2newmod
Damage INT long
Race timeRace starts at 21:30 UK time
Qualifying 20:45 UK time ~45 minutes
Race length20 laps
Replay get here
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6lg2vl

Please restrict chat to emergency messages only including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

GLA and FUN
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:50:01 PM +0100 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:51:27 PM +0100 »

It is recommended that all drivers carry a bucket of water with them, to throw at seriously overheating front brakes during the race.
Samb
UKGPL Divisional Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 10:42:26 PM +0100 »

You weren't wrong there Martin. I was seeing red just about the whole race!

That was the first time I've driven the Maserati and I did appreciate the 5th gear compared to the Vanwall I drove last time out. It was quite a lonely race for me, not enough pace to catch Tim up in seconds but comfortably clear of the battling Clive's for 4th. Pretty happy with a podium. I'm still not convinced I've got the braking technique sussed. It was more of a case of throwing the car into the corners and hoping for the best.

Congrats to Tris for the win, blistering pace up front.
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:18:24 AM +0100 »

Well done Sam, you had good race pace there.

Congratulations also to Tristan and Tim.  Some amazing times being posted by both of you in qually and the race!

I also think that everyone deserves congratulating on the good clean start.  It's not easy to keep it clean in these brakeless beasts.

After more than a week of house moving activities, my race preparation started at about 2pm when I began to re-assemble my desk!  Everything emerged from its boxes and was plugged in in time for three laps on the server with Martin with about two hours to go.  I then went back to shifting boxes.

I had badgered Simon into taking part but then the ratbag went and out qualified me!   ban At least he had the decency to make a lousy start!  Grin

For most of the race I was hanging on to Sam but then Axel and Evil caught me.  Axel managed to pass me into T1, one of my no-brake corners, but just as I was hunkering down to make life difficult for Evil I slid gracefully onto the grass and gifted him the place!  Angry  I heard him laughing as he went past.  I held on to him and we both passed Axel when he was facing the wrong way just after T4.  I was very slowly gaining on Evil but not enough and that's how we finished.  

I had 12 ltr of fuel left at the end so had over egged that side of things.

It was great fun and far more entering than shifting boxes about.

Many thanks to Axel for organising these races.  thumbup2
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:43:27 AM +0100 by Clive Loynes » Logged

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
bagrupp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 09:33:41 AM +0100 »

I was having connections issues and lost connection the second time at the start of the race.
First try with ferrari (horrible car) and Vanwall (nice to drive)
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 02:20:28 PM +0100 »

I had a fling with the Merc, as it was able to provide a worthwhile race pace.  But it's not the best handling car, and I spent the entire race trying to balance stopping power, with flinging power.  With tyres and brakes overworked, I decided it best to avoid potential embarrassment, and parked it neatly in a hedge. Undecided   
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 01:21:39 PM +0100 »

With no pre race practice and TBH not that much experience in many of the 55 cars I opted for the Connaught because at least I had a half decent setup from an earlier race.
The Lancias were obviously quicker and Tim has shown that he has got a feeling for these cars and the brake fade issue, so 4th on the grid was as much as I had expected.

I was still experimenting with where to use the brakes and where to save them when the race started, but a pattern was emerging that looked promising  Wink Samb stormed through from the grid and just could not live with his pace and hope to survive so I let him go....hoping that his brakes would be in flames in a couple of laps.....no such luck!!

The race went well except for a misjudged downshift at a point where I had no brakes left, that threw me off and dropped me back to about 6th place. The chase after Axel and Clive Loynes was fun and I actually felt that I was beginning to have a handle on the brakes and the best way around Aintree. By the time Axel went wide ( again) he had dragged me back up to Clive and I set about hunting him down, all the while being careful to keep the brake usage under close scrutiny. Slowly I was closing and it was clear that on some sections of the circuit I was quicker and on the straights his Mazzer had more HP.
Then he did the decent thing and ran wide onto the grass and allowed me to take 4th place again.

I was able to build a gap of that allowed me to keep Clive at a safe distance and keep my brakes in the Yellow and Green sectors, so I knew I had ammunition if he got too close.
These cars appear to demand a tactical approach and careful, consistent driving ( something that I struggle with generally!!) which is what makes them such a challenge I guess.
Looking forward to the new season guys  Grin

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 05:37:22 PM +0100 »

That was an interesting one. Over a single lap qualifying effort the SuperSqualo had just enough brakes to only burst into flames when entering the final tight right-hander.
Just enough to allow me to take pole with a lap that was better than I'd expected  Grin

The race started as expected for me with Tris out dragging me in the D50 - He was kind enough to run slightly wide exiting T2 which got me up alongside him. I then made full use of having stone-cold brakes and the inside line, and entered T3 as if I was in a '65 car - securing 1st as a result.

I managed to comfortably hold the lead for a couple of laps and then started to run into brake issues - I hadn't had as much practice over distance as I'd have liked, and as a result was overusing my brakes to stay ahead of Tris.
Watching the replay I''m fairly certain the Lancia just handles brake heat better, Tristan seems to be using his harder throughout the race and even seems to run a greater front bias than me (Corner entry speed is much higher - the cause of a fairly large accident we had at one point).
I'm meaning to have a spin in the D50 to see what brake temps are like over a 10 lap stint while running in the 2:01's (I could only sustain 2:02's with the odd drop into 2:01 during the race) as I feel understanding brake performance is probably more important than gears and horsepower in these cars!

Well done to Tris on the win and to all our other finishers - like Clive I'm looking forward to the season proper now  angel
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 12:18:58 AM +0100 »

I see a fix for the Ferrari brake light has been posted.  It's news to me, that the one we were supposed to use was replaced.  The replacement has a bad light bulb.  I have the original dashboard and bulb, made by the famous Ginetto, if anyone wants it? angel Roll Eyes

If a Moderator can help upload a small .zip, it could then be made available to all?  And if not, a PM with E-mail address, would get you a lightweight F1 Ferrari dash.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 06:09:32 PM +0100 »

So there is - I just tested it and set a new WR at Monaco  Grin

I'm going to have to use the 625 more now, it's a joy to drive angel
Still has a good .5 to take off the Monaco lap too I recon as I made a few mistakes...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com