Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 05:59:45 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S32 Nürburgring: September 17, 2017
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 32 -55 FUN - Nürburgring - Sep 17  (Read 1528 times)
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2017, 06:12:58 PM +0100 »

S32 - 55 F1 - Fun Race – Nürburgring

Next Fun event with the 55s takes place at THE most challenging Grand Prix circuit,

After some 55 Fun events the final and crowning track is the Nürburgring Nordschleife

The event is unmoderated – but the usual high standards are expected.

Free car choice!!!

Unlimited Shift R is allowed & there are no Stop & Go’s. But please be carefull...

Race listiGOR
ServerUKGPL_8
IP addresslook at IGOR
Date17-09-2017
TrackNürburgring Nordschleife
Mod55F1 with 60fpsV2newmod
Damage INT long
Race time~ 21:30 UK time
Qualifying 20:45 UK time - 45 minutes
Race length5 laps
Replay get here

Please restrict chat to emergency messages only including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

GLA and FUN
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:51:12 AM +0100 by Phil Thornton » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 08:46:12 PM +0100 »

Phil will host this race at iGOR with UKGPL_4

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 09:45:12 PM +0100 »

Well, what a complete waste of time and practice that was.  Angry

Went to the grid and found myself off track the wrong side of the fence with no way to get onto the track. I think someone needs to have a look at the grid files, not a happy bunny. Sad

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:42:09 PM +0100 »

Same here but I arrived on top of the fence!  A reset might mean a DQ, or land me on another car. Shocked A sad start and end to a race.  I'll suggest a 2nd time, for the Server track versions to be made known, somewhere where all will see it.  This is always done for Kyalami.
I stayed to watch the fun, with a great scrap for the win, from 2 of Ukgpl's finest. ban
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:02:39 PM +0100 by maddog » Logged
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 12:04:15 AM +0100 »

Sorry about the mix up gents.  I'll investigate, not sure if it was just me incorrectly editing the track.ini file for loose on-line grids or whether trackside objects in a 55 layout is sufficiently different from the 67 layout that may have caused it.  If that is the issue then Martin is right and we need to be explicit in which variant we are using.

Sorry again that this happened but better in a fun race than a league race.

Rainier
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:24:48 AM +0100 »

Same issue for me at the start.
I was out of the track ...with only 3 wheels (probably due to a collision with another car)
I made a reset and everything was OK.

Le silence éternel de ces espaces infinis m'effraie
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 01:08:39 PM +0100 »

Bad luck for all those dumped into the scenery by the grid layout, always worth trying a Shift/R once the pack have moved off??? I'm sure that Phil will fix any issues before the season starts  Wink

I did a 2 lap practice race a few days ago on Axel's server and that was the first time I had tried Nurby in the 55's and that was the first time I had driven the Mighty Merc. It was enough of a run to make me realise that the secret around here might be NOT using the brakes for some of the corners, but saving them for where they would give the best gains. It does take a supreme effort of will and confidence in the car setup to keep your foot off that middle pedal !!

Tim looks like the "man to beat" in the 55's after his performance with the Gordini at Monaco and Spa. I was half expecting yet another masterclass for this race, but he chose to roll out the Fezza 625 instead. I opted for the Maserati ( I did not think it fair to take a Merc or Lancia ) but I needed to get a base setup sorted for a mid range car before the new season started. After a few false starts in qually and a few tweaks to the setup, that super smooth 6 cylinder Mazza began to give me the confidence to push a little throughout the lap. Second on the grid was a surprise given all of the Lancias that were buzzing about, but at Nurby grid position is less important than a consistent pace, and anyway I was still around 5 secs off of Tim's pole lap.
I did struggle for the first lap until the tyres warmed up and gave back just a little more grip and it was re assuring to keep Tim within range. I was sure that if I allowed Tim to get clear and relax then he would just drive away from me so I pushed as hard as I dared to keep him honest. By now the chasing pack had dropped back and it was between the 2 of us.
Then a small case of brke fade and brain fade combined gave him a gap of around 200mtrs and I could see that he was trying hard to break away completely...........until he clipped a grass bank and performed an aerial ballet with extra points for artistic impression. I was closing fast and committed on a section of the track where my brakes were cooked and I was intending to wrestle the car through the bends. I could not stop if I wanted to, so I aimed for the grass verge and squeezed through, although I did feel a slight clunk on the rear  from Tim's car.
When things settled down I was in 1st place and Tim was around 500mtrs behind and possibly needing a SnG....oh! that would be so good if he lost another few seconds in the pits  Roll Eyes
I knew that Tim was probably 3-4 secs faster per lap in full attack mode and I had around 10 secs lead with 3 laps to go. The important thing for me was not to make any mistakes and force Tim to take risks if he wanted to catch me. Each lap he was taking huge chunks out of my precious lead and was clearly much faster on some sections, but I was still driving at 95% and trying to keep things under control.
The last lap started and now I could see Tim appearing in my mirrors around 100mtrs back. I knew that with his pace he was sure to catch me, but passing me would be difficult as long as I did not make a mistake. Sure enough he was soon sat on my tailpipes looking for a chance, and I guessed he was waiting for the long straight where I knew he was quicker.
So I had to get some breathing space before we got there and for a few corners I saved my brakes and effectively baulked Tim before nailing the gas and attacking the last part of the lap. I'm not sure if Tim made a small error but I swept onto the straight with around 90mtrs lead and watched Prib count down the gap as his Ferrari wound up the wick. Under the bridge and down to the Esses and I was still in front....just don't screw up the braking into that last corner!!
I almost blew the win when I missed a gearchange out of that final corner, but managed to get across the line just 0.11 secs ahead of Tim.

Grats to Tim who was clearly faster, but made that crucial mistake and still caught me after a SnG. ANother lap and it would have been a different result!! Well done all those who finished on a track where brakes do come in useful and the discovery that for the corner ahead they ain't gonna work is rather disconcerting Shocked

The new season looks like it might be great fun  Grin

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 05:37:53 PM +0100 »

That was great fun (again!).
I opted for the Fezza this time, as I realised that after complaining about the missing brake status light I still hadn't raced it. I also had the consideration that the Gordini brake drums are quite likely lined with cheese so would be harder to drive to the standard of the faster cars.
Also, as it was a fun race and not for points - victory was more important than useful token expenditure Vs point maths Wink

I'd just started pulling away from Clive having inadvertently cooked my brakes earlier than intended on lap 1, and was settling into a rhythm when I missed my apex while dropping through the Kallenhard Esses towards Adenau. Anywhere else and I would have just had an ignominious visit to a hedge and likely dropped back to Clive. But here there's a sodding great big bank to hit, so I 'did a barrel-roll' and landed on my head somewhere in the hedge...

1 Shift R later and I'm behind Clive but close enough not to worry - Except I decided that it would be an idea to see how hard an SnG is at the ring as there's a good chance I'll need one in the season to come...
I rejoined around 1/3rd or 1/2 mile behind Clive and set about doing what I could to re-close the gap.

It almost worked but besides Clive's own gamesmanship I also made a mistake entering the main straight.
I did briefly consider stuffing my Fez up the inside into the chicane but Clive left the braking late enough I was fairly certain of an accident.

Instead I set up for a fast exit from the chicane, which ironically was possibly foiled by Clive's miss-shift as I had to back off slightly due to catching him too fast in the narrow part!

Still. Great fun trying to recover and good practice.
Well done to all the finishers - especially Doni who somehow managed a lap without falling off (The only one of us according to GPLRA).
Real bad luck to those stranded as spectators, sounds like an ini issue to me, not sure how any 55 changes should cause that issue here - I'm not aware of any added physical objects that should mess anything up?
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 07:48:27 PM +0100 »

I also had the consideration that the Gordini brake drums are quite likely lined with cheese so would be harder to drive to the standard of the faster cars.

Ah!  Not just me then.   Roll Eyes

I thought that I would try the Gordini at Monaco, since you had been quick in it, and found that it was more difficult to keep the brakes healthy than it was with the Maserati! 

Think I probably have to optimise the four poxy gears for brake preservation rather than trying to use the three dead rat power of the engine.  Having said that, it does have power but over a very narrow rev band and it seems to kick in at any time that it thinks that it may throw you off the track!

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:04:46 PM +0100 »

Brakes in the Gordini are the worst of all the cars in this mod. The best being a toss up between the D50 and the W124 based on long runs I've done so far.
The time difference at Aintree between myself in the Fez 555 and Tris in his Lancia I put down to brake efficiency.
After the race I went back and ran 10laps in the Lancia. It wasn't an optimised setup so was actually slower on a flying lap than the Fez but over the 10laps I was between half a second to a second faster on average as the Lancia could take the abuse  Shocked

The Merc seems to behave in a similar fashion although once eventially red it does take an age to cool. The Gordini just needs one half decent stop from speed to cook itself  Grin
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 09:07:37 PM +0100 »

Sorry about the mix up gents.  I'll investigate, not sure if it was just me incorrectly editing the track.ini file for loose on-line grids or whether trackside objects in a 55 layout is sufficiently different from the 67 layout that may have caused it.  If that is the issue then Martin is right and we need to be explicit in which variant we are using.

Sorry again that this happened but better in a fun race than a league race.
I've checked things out.  It was a bad track.ini file that I had installed on the server rather than proper one I had been given.  Silly copy and paste error. I set the race off without testing it.  It won't happen in the league races.  So nothing to do with 55/67 trackside objects, so there shouldn't be any need to worry about incompatabilities between the server and clients provided we all use the tracks identified in the registration threads by the folder name and URL (in the case of the non-papyrus tracks).
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 11:05:56 PM +0100 »

Thanks for the grid diagnosis.  Perhaps a less dramatic cause than I feared.  I was not involved in semi-backdating our 1960's tracks, so don't know the extent of potential problems.  Nice graphics for Offline, and potential problems for Online.  sweatdrop
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 11:35:28 PM +0100 »

Pleased to see you've entered the 55 series Martin. Me, you, Fran and Robert is a decent turn-out for Team Antipasti Grin
Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

Aussie Paul Hawkins. Sitting in Porsche 910

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 01:11:02 AM +0100 »

Clive, I figure the Gordini is a high corner speed, spinning it "on the pipe", type of thing... just like a 2 stroke GP bike. Odd that it doesn't have a 5 speed transmission at a minimum. 4 speed wastes a lot of advantage.

www.clark-hillracing.com

"Racing is life.....anything that happens before or after, is just waiting"
Steve McQueen from "Le Mans"

GPL Rank +15.145 29/3/2012
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 09:00:43 AM +0100 »

Clive, I figure the Gordini is a high corner speed, spinning it "on the pipe", type of thing...

Hi Geoff,

You only get the high cornering speed if your name is Tim!  I just get the spinning!

I guess they just didn't have a 5 speed transmission or it would have gone in.  The power delivery feels very peaky.  At Monaco I find that I have to shift up early in the tunnel to prevent the thing from spinning up and stuffing me into the inside wall.

However, having been "granted" Pro Status I guess that I'm going to be seeing a lot of the little rascal!

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com