The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 03:06:00 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SHH shifter  (Read 1928 times)
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:32:38 AM +0100 »

Does anyone here have a SHH  shifter? Apparently it feels better than the TH8a and it's even cheaper. Plus it can switch between sequential and H pattern very quickly.

Its base is 3d printed, so that looks a bit cheap,  but not too fussed If the rest is all good.

http://www.shiftershh.com/en/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:38:47 AM +0100 by Jeffrey » Logged
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:58:13 AM +0100 »

Oooh, bit cheap! the website doesnt really help explain or show its use.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 07:51:44 AM +0100 »

Oooh, bit cheap! the website doesnt really help explain or show its use.

The outer case looks cheap, but personally I don't care, as the inside seems to work very well. Not a lot of videos on it tho.
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 01:20:22 PM +0100 »

Well I ordered 1, will be shipped the 4th of December, just in time for the end of the Lotus season Tongue.
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 09:21:34 PM +0100 »

Interesting stuff. Didn't hear of this make before. Keep us posted please.

What kind of wheel/pedal setup are you gonna use it for?

School is important, but race cars are importanter
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 09:39:38 PM +0100 »

Interesting stuff. Didn't hear of this make before. Keep us posted please.

What kind of wheel/pedal setup are you gonna use it for?

I'll make a review of it when I have it. I have a T500RS, which I'll keep, I just need to move the pedal plate a bit for heel-toering.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 10:24:28 PM +0000 »

Got it yet?

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 03:14:16 AM +0000 »

Got it yet?

No, delivery was expected on the 4th of December when I ordererd it.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 06:55:00 AM +0000 »

Yeah, sorry. looked on their website and realised the rather long wait!

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 04:11:21 PM +0000 »

It arrived a few days ago and had a bit of testing done.

First let's start with some issues I stumbled uppon. When tightening the bolt which secures the gear knob, I heard a small cracking as I was tightening it. That's the downside of 3d printing. It's strong with horizontal forces, but not vertical. Like putting a screw in wood which can cause it to split. I didn't break it, but you realise it can be fragile, but the knob was secured, so in the end no real issues.

The table mount which I've got it a bit weird. It's 3 bolts with a lose plate on top which has 3 gaps in which the bolts go. But you can take that plate off without any problems, as it just lies lose on the bolts. That's fine if you put the shifter in its place and don't move it, but I can imagine it being a bit finicky when you mount and demount the thing the whole time. Eventhough my desk is only 3,5 cm thick, it was too much for the table mount. So I had to leave the mounting plate off, which means I now secure the bolts against my desk.
It's still very secure that way, but I don't know if it will cause scratching.

But now for the most important thing, how does it feel? It's really has a heavy feel to it. The gear stick really clunks into the gear making it feel absolutely solid. Rest of the people in the house might not thank you for it though  Tongue.
Haven't tested sequential yet, but it's easy to switch between the modes.

All in all a very solid shifter with a nice feel to it. Looking at TH8 videos, this is a lot less toy-like.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 06:46:38 PM +0100 »

Do you still use this Jeff? Whats it like as a sequential? I'm looking at something to use as a handbrake for rallying but want something with a short throw, and well sprung. Tried using a cheap joystick but felt rubbish.

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 01:36:18 PM +0100 »

Do you still use this Jeff? Whats it like as a sequential? I'm looking at something to use as a handbrake for rallying but want something with a short throw, and well sprung. Tried using a cheap joystick but felt rubbish.

Sorry, I completely missed this post  Embarrassed.

I only use it as gated, which is really good. I'm not so sure about the sequential mode, still feels like you are pushing it in something, and it doesn't feel smooth/fluid.

Hope this is still somewhat useful, 3,5 months later  Embarrassed
Podkrecony_Ziutek

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 05:56:20 PM +0000 »

First let's start with some issues I stumbled uppon. When tightening the bolt which secures the gear knob, I heard a small cracking as I was tightening it. That's the downside of 3d printing. It's strong with horizontal forces, but not vertical. Like putting a screw in wood which can cause it to split. I didn't break it, but you realise it can be fragile, but the knob was secured, so in the end no real issues.

I've just got mine and it's no longer a problem. In latest version you only need to screw on the gear knob to the shaft. There are no extra bolts.

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 08:14:56 PM +0000 »

I saw FMG mentioned to go with a SHH shifter also. I have been eyeballing this SHH too. There seems to be a choice of 7+R or 6+R?
Unfortunately they won't take anymore orders at the moment as they are completely overloaded. So I have to wait a few months probably before I can get my hands on one.. Undecided

School is important, but race cars are importanter
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 06:20:30 PM +0100 »

Sorry Stefan, I didn't see this when you posted.

My SHH did eventually turn up (slightly early Vs due date, but I'd had a month and a half build time quoted at the time Shocked )
I'm generally pretty happy with it, I went for a 7&R.

The number of gears is determined purely by which shifter gate is fitted.
Hence my going for the 7+R, Once things are back to normal at work I'll be running the plate through a basic CMM to get all the profiles, from there I can make my own custom plates (Seq, 3+R, 4+R, 5+R ect as well as dogleg variations.

The feel for both Sequential mode and H is OK, but the location system appears to be based on some very clever hinge geometry and a big spring. As a result it doesn't have any sort of resistance when entering a gear (I don't know of anything that does though off the top of my head).

My only real complaint is that the 7+R is a bit of a bugger to get to grips with in VR - as sometimes I managed to find 7th instead of 5th when it was new to me.
In non-VR titles this was never an issue.

For the money it's really quite a good piece of kit, although my fag-packet designs for a sequential shifter that improves on my current home made one continue..... (this one will have positive engagement into gear Grin I'm hoping to then develop that design for a floor mounted H shifter too......)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com