by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 08:56:17 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L18FER Longford: February 12, 2018
February 12, 2018, 08:41:55 PM +0000 - Longford - UKGTL Season 18 1950s Endurance Racing
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Maserati 450S (#66) GTC-65 1 2:18.736
113.122mph
1 58:15.104
107.767mph
24 2:19.229
112.721mph
Pirelli  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Maserati 450S (#513) GTC-65 4 +4.081
109.890mph
2 (+2) +2:31.291
103.296mph
24 2:23.231
109.572mph
Pirelli  
Bob M.
  OLD SCHOOL RACING TEAM
Ferrari 375+ (#99) GTC-65 6 +11.328
104.583mph
3 +1L
98.891mph
23 2:29.852
104.731mph
Dunlop  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Mercedes 300SLR (#3) GTC-65 7 +16.585
101.043mph
4 +2L
95.448mph
22 2:34.598
101.515mph
Dunlop  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Maserati 450S (#9857) GTC-65 5 +6.001
108.432mph
5 +3L 21 2:22.552
110.094mph
clutch
Pirelli  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Mercedes 300SL (#268) GTC-65 8 +29.512
93.279mph
6 +5L 19 2:47.195
93.867mph
unknown
Dunlop  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Maserati 450S (#9857) GTC-65 3 +2.163
111.385mph
7 +8L 16 2:22.445
110.176mph
suspension
Pirelli  
BillThomas
 Kerb Crawlers
Mercedes 300SL (#262) GTC-65 9 +52.091
82.242mph
8 +20L 4 2:56.873
88.731mph
suspension
Dunlop  
Ziu Bacubacu
  OLD SCHOOL RACING TEAM
Maserati 450S (#133) GTC-65 2 +0.121
113.023mph
+24L 0 ---
---
engine
Pirelli  

Moderator's Report

Roger makes a mistake, and gets on the grass so is unable to avoid hitting Ziu taking Ziu out of the race. Roger continues with damage

• rogukpenalty — roger takes Ziu out after getting on the grass — 2 places lost

SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
GT Legends
GTC-65
2:18.736
113.122mph
Erling G-P
Qualifying
Maserati 450SFebruary 12, 2018, 08:41:55 PM +0000
L18FER
GT Legends
GTC-65
2:19.229
112.721mph
Erling G-P
Race
Maserati 450SFebruary 12, 2018, 08:41:55 PM +0000
L18FER
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 18 1950s Endurance Racing - Longford - Feb 12  (Read 2515 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 10:19:08 PM +0000 »

Results and replay now posted.

And the car we lose is the Maserati 450S (5.7)  Cry

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 10:00:12 AM +0000 »

Should've read the book more carefully Undecided

Extract from ..................

The Glutbucket Racing Drivers Handbook.

Chapter 5 ...Driving Tips and Tricks

6b) Sneezing
Sneezing whilst driving is never ideal, but being biological entities we cannot control when a sneeze might happen. In a perfect world the urge to sneeze will happen half way along the main straight, in which case a driver can simply maintain speed and direction and allow the sneeze to happen.
But, if a driver happens to be approaching or negotiating a tricky technical section when the urge to sneeze occurs things are different. It is far better to slow or even come to an almost stop rather than try to maintain maximum speed and risk an incident.

I did not heed Mabel's advice and when I felt a sneeze building as I approached the Esses at the bottom of the hill. I was finally "in the groove" and beginning to make the big Mazzer work and wanted to maintain my pace which was slowly improving. Bad Move!!  Undecided

I thought I had supressed the urge to sneeze through the Esses  and nailed the gas towards the narrow bridge on worn rear tyres that were beginning to protest at the abuse they were suffering. Then the sneeze came back and caught me totally unprepared. the result was that I totally lost the rear end and missed the bridge!! plunging into the river and oblivion  Angry

My plan had been to start at the back of the pack of Maseratis and simply shadow them. In a brief practice session I realised that I could squeeze 21 laps from a tankful of gas and by short shifting the tyres might be OK with gentle treatment. All that went out the window on Lap 1 when cars ahead tangled at the Esses. I did not make contact with anyone but in trying to avoid the crashfest I snatched 1st gear and lost the rear end causing me to smack the inside barrier. I had to wait for everyone to pass and when I got going it was apparent that all was not well with the suspension/brakes and over the next few laps the car was an absolute nightmare. The poor handling put extra wear into the tyres and when they reached the red zone after only 8 laps a quick change of tactics was required.
After an early stop, with repairs, which cost around a minute and Erling lapped me ( oh!! the indignity of it!!  death) I had a car that was driveable and I set about hunting down the cars ahead. Slowly I climbed the leader board as I passed the slower cars and others took pit stops ( unlapped myself from Erling  Wink ) until I found myself running in 3rd with around 6 laps to go. Rog was approx. 30 secs ahead and one mistake from him might put him in reach before the end, so I pushed on.
My early pitstop left me with old tyres just when I needed all of the grip, but by adjusting my braking points and keeping smooth all was OK. When Erling caught me I was distracted by his car in the mirror and just overcooked the braking. A half spin allowed him through, but not too much time lost, so continued the chase. After the horrendous early laps a podium finish would have been great.
THEN I SNEEZED!!

Grats to the podium and all finishers especially those in the slower cars that allowed the monster Mazzers room to pass.

Grats to the podium

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 01:10:17 PM +0000 »

I chose the big Merc SLR as practice had proved that in my hands either of the Massa's would not result in a pleasant evening. I found them too close to the limit of my reaction zone. The Merc had good power, behaved under braking (with some setting adjustments) and with Dunlop Vintage tyre's had very good tyre wear. So for me it was a no brainer.
Fueled short so that at my pitstop I just had to brim the tank and I was good to go. Knew I would outpace the Gullwings but would lose out to the Massa's and Bob's Ferrari. However there was always the chance that the quick guys would have incidents and so it was that I finished 4th. Grats to all finishers and commiserations to those who met with misfortune.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:24:09 PM +0000 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 01:51:13 PM +0000 »

Longford is a car breaker in anything for me. My pace in the Big Mazzer was good enough to be in the top 3 "if" I stayed on the road
big word "if"  Roll Eyes  tried the gullwing ally while trying setups, but I was 13 secs slower in it, so, what the heck, lets take the monster....

Avoided Ziu's nose by a midge's tadger, after Roger's attempt to jump the river  Shocked and found myself in 2nd following Erling
so far so good, then immediately missed the brake zone into the 90 right onto the 1st straight through reading chat  whistling
which let most of the field through. then went off again somewhere on my own, then had two instances of passing slower cars
who were trying to be helpful, but changed lanes at the last moment and I couldn't avoid fast enough in the cumbersome rocket
sorry guys, I did my best to avoid, ended up wasting loads of time, and bent the car somewhat, one of them got me a cut track
then I went wide in T1 onto the grass losing more time and collected another cut track, and a stop and go for helping the
Tazmanian road dept cut some grass.  taz , then got another stop and go getting on the grass out of T1 agan twice
and then got wobbly past the pits with worn tyres and the pit electromagnet pulled me in at 180 mph, and can't imagine why
I got a speeding in the pits ticket...... so yet another stop and go. A bit of a disaster for me, biggest issues were trying to
pass slower cars on this relatively narrow track, and cut tracks, which are not really needed here, and perhaps could have been
turned off, then of course my rubbish driving  Roll Eyes Finaly put the car on it's roof off a fence and 0% engine, so quit
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:54:06 PM +0000 by phspok » Logged

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 03:55:04 PM +0000 »

Unfortunately, one of my GTL installation/PC quirks, means although it's OK offline I can't get the Merc SLR online!   Cry So I drove the Gullwing as most stable car for me.  I think I caused Matt a twitch when I moved over to give him the line for the next corner but he passed without hitting me.

I gradually settled down and became more confident with my braking points until I missed a marker at the fastest part of the track and skidded down the escape road and wrote off my car on the line of Straw Bales blocking it!  oops helpsmilie

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 03:58:47 PM +0000 »

I can't get the Merc SLR online!
I don't know if this will fix it Bill but do you have compatability mode ticked for GTL? (right click GTL.exe and look at properties) If you do, please try unticking it.

Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 04:17:47 PM +0000 »

Set out in offline practice to make the 5.7 Mazzer easy to drive.  Had to realize it can't be done - not by me anyway  Roll Eyes  Did manage to shave a little off my pb, but at the price of making the car behave more differently with or without race fuel - needed noticeably longer brake distances with race fuel.

Very surprised and not a little puzzled, to find myself on provisional pole late in qual. Ziu's been sandbagging heavily in pre-race praccy lately, but surely wouldn't do it so far into qual??  As I later understood it, the disappearing black marks on track caused him grief.  Normally I would be in trouble too, but here my inferior driving proved an advantage  Cheesy - in the Loony Mazzer, I had to brake waaay before the black marks in most places, and thus had to rely on various trackside objects for brake markers instead.

Once again got lucky on the first lap at Longford, escaping the mayhem. After seeing poor Ziu being taken out in my mirrors, I next caught a glimpse of Matt, barreling straight on in the 90º righthander. He was the only one not affected by the incident, so when he created his own, I was suddenly all alone, with a big gap after just a few turns.  Kept extending that gap, save for a couple of laps where I overshot my brake points and had to reverse.

Only company was when lapping other cars.  Apologies for a few clumsy executions and a lack of 'thank you' flashes. In the big Mazzer, the closure rate on the slower cars can be frightening, and on this narrow track you absolutely have to know where the other driver intends to place himself. Coupled with a need to watch for your brake point, it at times overwhelmed my multi tasking ability...

Caught Clive (again  Grin) late in the race. He seemed in no mood to be lapped, and I really wasn't in a hurry, so didn't press the point and just followed him for a lap. When the ever helpful Mazza decided to mug him in one of the 90º righthanders, I accepted the invitation and slipped past.  Sorry about the distraction Clive  whistling

Sad to hear that so many had so much trouble, and of course over Ziu's untimely exit.  Looked like I could have had a great battle with him, instead of a lonely and not very exiting race.  Grats to all survivors and the rest of the podium.
BillThomas

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:33 PM +0000 »

I don't know if this will fix it Bill but do you have compatability mode ticked for GTL? (right click GTL.exe and look at properties) If you do, please try unticking it.

Thanks Tony, compatibility mode is currently unticked. Any other thoughts?

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 06:56:47 PM +0000 »

Delete and re-install?

SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 08:29:48 PM +0000 »

Results

Cool

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 11:34:29 PM +0000 »

Thanks Kurt thumbup1

BillThomas

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 06:18:19 AM +0000 »

Delete and re-install?

Thanks Tony but that's what I started with when I found the problem initially.  I uninstalled and reinstalled 3 or 4 times and it made no difference.  Huh Hence my decision to accept no SLR for me in this Series!

I can't reinstall GTL because when I try there is an incompatibility problem with my G25 which prevents me from setting it up! There is no problem with other simulations, I have the latest software and have no problems with RRE. 

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com