by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 11:07:02 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L18FER Silverstone: July 09, 2018
July 09, 2018, 08:42:07 PM +0100 - Silverstone (GP 1952-73) - UKGTL Season 18 1950s Endurance Racing
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Ferrari 375+ (#14) GTC-65 1 1:37.571
108.387mph
1 57:19.237
104.548mph
34 1:38.547
107.314mph
Dunlop  
johnw
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Jaguar D-Type (#15) GTC-65 2 +0.656
107.663mph
2 +7.771
104.312mph
34 1:38.561
107.298mph
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Ferrari 375+ (#545) GTC-65 3 +3.634
104.495mph
3 +1L
100.882mph
33 1:41.457
104.236mph
Dunlop  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Mercedes 300SL (#0) GTC-65 6 +4.604
103.503mph
4 +1:22.147
98.542mph
33 1:42.911
102.763mph
Dunlop  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Jaguar D-Type (#16) GTC-65 5 +4.512
103.596mph
5 +2L 32 1:41.781
103.904mph
fuel
Dunlop  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Aston Martin DBR1 (#14) GTC-65 8 +5.694
102.411mph
6 +3L
95.161mph
31 1:43.349
102.327mph
Dunlop  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Jaguar D-Type (#16) GTC-65 4 +3.927
104.193mph
7 +5L 29 1:41.603
104.086mph
accident
Dunlop  
lovegtl

Jaguar D-Type (#8) GTC-65 7 +5.044
103.059mph
DNS ---
---
Dunlop  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 18 1950s Endurance Racing - Silverstone - Jul 9  (Read 2243 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 01:01:03 PM +0100 »

Great race last night with good racing with Clive and Kurt in particular. Very enjoyable. Did have one moment when following Clive he braked earlier than I had anticipated and as a consequence I had to go full anchors which mean't I lost control and span off. I rejoined and was narrowly missed by Kurt, good reactions mate!

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Bob M.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 02:13:06 PM +0100 »

Grats to the podium. 
will try to race with you guys again the 23rd at Brno.  Bill the heat kills me also, it's a age thing I'm sure.  It's been around 95*F (35C) with high humidity here daily.  My oldest son and myself have been cleaning the garage and such outside getting ready for the move and it really saps the old body....

See you all later
Bob M.
BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 02:43:22 PM +0100 »

Grats to the podium. 
will try to race with you guys again the 23rd at Brno.  Bill the heat kills me also, it's a age thing I'm sure.  It's been around 95*F (35C) with high humidity here daily.  My oldest son and myself have been cleaning the garage and such outside getting ready for the move and it really saps the old body....

See you all later
Bob M.

Yes it was trying to keep up with a pair of 26 year olds. The  grandson has spent many summers with us and was trying to show his partner as much as he could eg all of Weston super Mare prominard, Pier and town in 32 degrees with a cloud less sky! Real stamina sapping weather.

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 05:05:05 PM +0100 »

Very hard race yesterday.  Knew it would be a tough one when Johnw signed in, so absolutely needed the fastest car for me, which was the 375.  Never liked it; can't dial out its vices via setup, so just had to work around them.  Had to exceed myself to claim pole, getting into 1:37 for the first time.

Crappy start, losing several places, but made them up on L1, to claim the lead.  John right up my chuff, in relentless pursuit. Any mistake was punished immediately, with the distance shortened.  At one point he went slightly off, giving me a 3-4 secs gap.  Should have been a small breather, but I made small mistakes myself, and then caught traffic in very awkward places, costing me more time than John, so he was soon breathing down my neck again. 

Thus the first 30 laps was more sprint than enduro. When John went for the pits very late in the race, the gap was around 7 secs.  Had tested offline that I could do 31+ laps, so planned to pit on L30. Fight with John must have eaten more fuel though - if I had waited to L30, I couldn't complete another lap, in case I missed the pits, so moved it ahead to L29 instead.  Executed it as fast as I could, and probably looked more in my mirrors than ahead for the first lap after.

When I passed the pits after that lap, the board showed a 12 secs gap, and with 4 laps to go, I could finally relax a little.  Caught some traffic on the final laps, but tried to stay far enough back so I wouldn't interfere with the battles going on.

Apologies to Clive, if I inadvertently held you up at T1 after finishing the race. Stupidly didn't consider that you had one more lap to complete oops  I know you ran out of fuel, but still shouldn't have been so thoughtless.

Thanks to John for a very hard fight, and congrats to him & Roger for filling the podium.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 07:16:35 PM +0100 »

Grats to Erling and John (in the 55 D-type!!)  and Roger who had their own race out front. I was hoping that by taking the 57 Jag it might remove the car from the list as I could never seem to find the sweet spot, or master that 4 speed gearbox. Practice and qualifying were spent trying to tame the wayward braking, that Matt was also fighting.
I opted for the vintage tyres as they looked like they might last longer, but the only way that I could make the setup work and keep control was to brake early and gently ( sorry Tony  Shocked ), then almost 4 wheel drift the car through the apex as I poured on the gas. FWIW I found that I really could not brake into the apex, because the car just would not turn if my foot was anywhere near the stop pedal, but it was very stable under smooth acceleration ( no wheelspin!). By the end of the race I had dialled into the car and just when I was feeling really confident...I ran out of gas  Undecided.lol

Just a little miffed that I did run out of fuel on the last lap, but probably no more than I deserved after zero practice and simply guessing how much fuel was needed at the pit stop.

I had intended to just refuel and keep the old tyres for the whole race, as they were only 50% worn and just 6 laps to go?? Should've been OK and kept me comfortably in 4th......but I am still wrestling with the panic and process at pit stops. Had to back up twice to get the pitboard up and then forgot to cancel the tyres  Undecided Undecided what a numpty!! When I did eventually emerge from the pitlane Tony swept past to claim 4th, but I was reasonably confident that I could outpace his car, having done exactly that earlier in the race. I had just made the pass and pulled a safe gap when i realised that I could not make the full race distance.
I wanted Erling to pass me before the S/F line and save me having to do another lap, but Tony was too close and Erling was too much of a gentleman to push past us Sad

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 08:58:04 PM +0100 »

Result

Cool

Less competitive than desired, but fun. Thought that we already raced here in these cars but couldn't find a setup.
What a pity LoveGTL left before the start - I assume he was confused about the mismatch notification.
Not quite sure concerning the correctness of Matt's result which I posted. As far as I remember he completed at least 30 laps
and I passed him only towards the end of my 31st lap (cannot watch the replay atm as I'm on Linux)

Thanks for organizing

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 09:19:43 PM +0100 »

I was 2 or laps down Kurt, doesnt matter about accuracy  Grin

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 10:33:44 PM +0100 »

I wanted Erling to pass me before the S/F line and save me having to do another lap, but Tony was too close and Erling was too much of a gentleman to push past us Sad

Sorry about that Clive; it's never easy to know what to do.  I would hate to break up someones battle, by forcing a pass I really didn't need - maybe you should predefine a message saying 'Pass me you idiot!!'  Grin
johnw

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 09:22:54 PM +0100 »

That was fun while it lasted Smiley I seemed to have a bit of an advantage on grip over Earling in the first few laps, but once the tyres had gone off a bit I wasn't able to fully commit in the fast stuff like Abbey for fear of losing it  Shocked

As Clive and Matt have already said - the brakes are a bit of a handful, I think I had the balance set a bit far back for a long race, it was fine for the first half, but then increasingly wanted to swap ends on the way into the corners. Little mistakes started to creep in and once I'd lost the tow I couldn't stay close enough to put any real pressure on.

Thought about changing tyres halfway, but it never seems to be worth it given the extra time taken. I went with the vintage tyres as they seemed to have more grip overall, but weren't anywhere near as progressive as the modern ones, which didn't help with the braking situation.

I briefly thought Erling might be running out of fuel at the end, but didn't realise he was just being gentlemanly.

Grats Erling, good racing thumbup1

then almost 4 wheel drift the car through the apex as I poured on the gas

That's the fastest way, Clive!
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 09:57:48 PM +0100 »

............. what a numpty!!

Excuse me!  No call for that sort of thing.   Roll Eyes

@JohnW  Well done that man!  Keep the soggy flag flying!   thumbup1

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 10:02:46 PM +0100 »

Grats Erling, good racing thumbup1

Thanks John, it was indeed.  Looked at the replay and must say I'm impressed at the way you were attacking the corners in that D-Type late in the race. Had I known at the time I was being chased like that, it would have made me nervous..  Shocked
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 10:12:43 PM +0100 »

the brakes are a bit of a handful, I think I had the balance set a bit far back for a long race, it was fine for the first half, but then increasingly wanted to swap ends on the way into the corners.
I believe that GTL will let you alter brake balance in car.

EDIT: Just checked and the default keys are "[" for front brake bias and "]" for the rears. Never bothered myself so I have no idea if/how it works.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com