The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 01:47:44 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Oculus Rift in AC  (Read 5141 times)
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:43:41 AM +0000 »

So I finally took the plunge and ordered one of these at the weekend  Smiley

Can you guys who already run them share any useful tips, links etc to getting them set up and optimised in AC ? Would help others too if we have useful collective info on using them that can be got from this thread.
Thanks in advance  Smiley

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:37:56 PM +0000 »

Running in Win7 I've found mine doesn't like having 2 sensors plugged in.
It might be that the one mounted on the desk wobbles due to the wheel, but I don't get this in any of the free games that came with my rift when I tried them.
Despite what it tells you it will happily run the touch sensors with only 1 sensor, although you'll probably need both plugged in to set the system up.

The other thing I'd advise is to check exactly what your GFX card manufacturer software is upto. When I enabled mine it detected that I run VR for AC and changed loads of settings it 'improve' it.
For some reason they made things worse for me, while frame rates do drop with a lot of cars around I'm getting better performance still with graphics set to almost full whack - just with AA disabled and smoke turned down a bit.

This is with a 1070GTX and I7 with 12Gb of RAM. Next planned mod is to max myself out at 16Gb of RAM.
Then look into dual boot so I can go Win10 and maybe upgrade a bit more - Oculus essentially don't bother to support Win7 so if you run it expect to do a lot of searching in their forums as it seems to be the only place you'll get useful help.

I recommend you start by downloading and installing the software from the website now, there are numerous bugs (For W7 at least) which may take you a good number of hours to work around because Oculus haven't bothered fixing them for about the last year. Not what you want when you have a shiny new toy to play with  Wink

Apps-wise I recommend Helicorsa. You'll only have the normal mirrors for what ever you drive in the rift. The 962 isn't even the worst car in the game for placement either Grin
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:58:41 PM +0000 »

Cheers FMG, I have a 1080 and 16gb of Ram with an i7 on win 10, so hopefully it'll run sweetly  Smiley

There is a massive 105+ page thread on the Rift in the Kunos chat forum, so I'm also wading through that for tips.
I'll ease myself in gently I think with a flat track and easy car to lessen the oft-mentioned motion sickness that a lot suffer until the brain gets used to it. (So road Atlanta would be a no-no!) Doesn't arrive until mid week anyway then I'll probably need a few days acclimatising.

Is it possible to run two AC configs with one set for VR and the other my triple monitors?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:00:41 PM +0000 by Mark J » Logged

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 06:12:18 PM +0000 »

I just switch between the 2 in the settings menu tbh.
I found the Grp. C cars helped me adjust fastest as they don't slide around much - The standard Mk1 MX5 I tried out first nearly made me throw up Grin
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:56 PM +0000 »

Win 7 runs the rift fine. I have an i7, 1080 and 32gb of ram, two sensors and no issues, stays at 90fps constant, tried Win 10 and couldnt get back to 7 fast enough, found it to be the proverbial bag of you know what that most folk said it was.
Ceolmor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:14:29 PM +0000 »

I have just moved from W7 to W10 and my Rift is still running smoothly.   In fact I now have the advantage of running ASW, which I couldn’t with W7.  You probably won’t need ASW with a 1080.

There was a really good webpage on how to set up the Rift for AC, but the page is no longer available.  Typical.

Definitely use supersampling. 1.5 or above if you can. No need to go above 2.0. You can permanently set this in AC files.

You don’t need 2 sensors for racing. 1 is sufficient.

Make sure you have AC locked to horizon.

When it arrives, just post any problems here and we can all help.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:41:24 PM +0000 »

Win 7 runs the rift fine. I have an i7, 1080 and 32gb of ram, two sensors and no issues, stays at 90fps constant, tried Win 10 and couldnt get back to 7 fast enough, found it to be the proverbial bag of you know what that most folk said it was.

I think I've found my 2-sensor issue.
While movning stuff on my desk I noticed the sensor on top of my PC rotates a bit whenever there's a fairly big bump Grin
They'll be getting wall mounted soon so that should fix that.

Otherwise it's good on 7
ChrisR
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 08:24:02 PM +0000 »

Lock to horizon should be off in VR.

Having it on makes the car act all funny and when you go up bankings like rockingham/ daytona etc the car is at a wierd angle to your view.

Ceolmor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 09:53:58 PM +0000 »

I think lock to horizon is personal preference.  Yes it is weird on the banking, but I found locked to car made it more difficult for me to focus ahead, so overall prefer locked to car.  Mark J try both and see which works best for you, especially if you suffer any motion sickness.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 09:07:30 AM +0000 »

Just what we needed  Smiley

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/assetto-corsa-vr-guide.19037/

ChrisR
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:29 AM +0000 »

Something that guide doesnt detail is the graphics.ini

Render frames should =1
And the line underneath (mip bias details?) should be -1 or -2 it sharpens the overall image at no cost to fps.

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 11:26:23 AM +0000 »

Your in trouble then, Rift display needs a HDMI port. You need 3 USB 3.0 ports as well, one for the headset and one each for the sensors. I believe the Rift is a little fussy on what USB controller chipset you may have to. I've got all mine plugged in to the ports on the back of the motherboard and it seems ok. Some people seem go get away with running the sensors on USB 2.0 ports but I've never tried.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 01:18:15 PM +0000 »

Eek I only have usb 2 ports and I just ordered a usb 2.0 hub as well in case my older peripherals don’t  run on 3.0  Roll Eyes Think I have an additional hdmi on the rear of the Mobo.
Hmm does that mean I can’t keep my triple set up in place until I get used to VR ?  Cry

Felix Simoes

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 01:28:42 PM +0000 »

I suggest something like this. Really cheap and handful Wink

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00FPIMICA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 01:49:30 PM +0000 »

Pretty sure that Inatech are the brand that's highly recommended for the Rift.

Doubt you can use the HDMI on the motherboard, that won't be connected to the GPU just to the CPU's inbuilt GFX if it has it. Have you a spare DVI or Display Port on the GFX card MJ? I think the Rift will need HDMI, you'll definitely not get sound though via a DVI-HMDI adaptor if it does support that. I think people have mixed success with DP-HDMI adaptors and the Rift. You'd probably find it easier to get one of your existing 3 going using DVI-HDMI or DP-HDMI. If the monitors support DVI and you've a spare one on the GFX card then use that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com