The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

March 29, 2024, 07:00:29 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Oculus Rift in AC  (Read 4859 times)
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2020, 07:21:26 PM +0100 »

Do as I suggested above - I had to start again recent due to a replacement headset.
I don't have the guardian enabled so no issue here Smiley
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2020, 03:22:08 PM +0100 »

Whoohooo. Rift CV1 up and running here. Wauwie, VR puts you right there on the track instead of just looking at it from 2D. The immersion is most impressive and it is feeling much more natural to drive instantly.

With the standard settings I was getting naussea after some 20 minutes. Then after switching all G-forces and vibrations to 0 it still wasn't helping much. Now running with the option Locked to Horizon and that cures my naussea for quit a bit. Now I am able to do 45 minutes, so looking good for some online action.

The thing is; locked to horizon is the natural way we see it IRL, but AC is handeling it a bit too harshly and is also not natural. So do you guys run settings from Neck FX in Contant Manager to slow down roll movemend in the standard locked to car settings?
A hybrid system as iRacing or slider would be much beter...

School is important, but race cars are importanter
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2020, 03:25:03 PM +0100 »

Oh and today I opened Oculus home to adjust the headphone level and when I pressed to return it threw me in the sensor setup menu with the HDMI and 3 USB cables showing..
This probably means I have to redo the setup again for no reason?
I have the headset and both sensors in USB3. Is this the thingy that I should put one sensor in a USB2 slot then?..

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2020, 05:19:44 PM +0100 »

Nothing you do will cure the nausia setting wise - you just have to wait for your own head to learn to ignore the inner ear Wink
Pick something that doesn't slide around and drive that for a while (Don't crash for gods sake!!!) as I found that helped me massively.
When I got my Rift I could do maybe 10 minutes driving an AE86 in my normal slidey style before having to stop as I felt sick.
I then drove the short tail 962 and was still fine 30 minutes in - until I span and hit a wall, that was nearly vomit central wacko

I run all my sensors in USB3 slots (headset and 2x room sensors). My only problem is the carp drivers that mean I have to leave the headset unplugged until I've loaded home, or 60% of the time my headset is only connected via USB2. I got a warranty replacement recently and that does the same thing so I know it's their software/drivers Roll Eyes

Once you've setup a CV1 and finished the install you shoudn't have to do the install again unless you've run that option.
Volume is controlled by 'Devices - Rift (the headset one - I'm in Win 7 so don't have the software to hand at the minute) and volume can be found in there.
The other option is to just put on your rift while Oculus is running and adjust volume with your wands (I think it's near the clock on the dash).

AC ignores most of that and you set volumes through the games own sound driver anyway - this is the most annoying part if you switch between driving in VR and higher quality replays on the screen if you forget to change the setting....

The CanAms next week may make you a tad ill I'm afraid - but the Formula Easters are perfect to teach your brain to adjust  Smiley
MaxVeloce
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2020, 12:30:36 PM +0100 »

Nice Stefan, welcome to the future  Shocked

Maybe check you have solid 90fps, low fps = instant trip to the land of vom!

For me, lock to horizon is totally not real, I turn that off and run the g-force for movement very low, maybe 0.5x vertical and 0.1/0.2 for pitch and yaw.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2020, 06:39:52 PM +0100 »

don't forget those other settings I emailed you to sharpen up the image too. Glad its all installed and working. Single seaters are awesome with it  Smiley As others said, use slower cars to work your brain upto it and soon you will find no nausea at all. Only time I still feel slightly sick is if you hit the Armco or spin into a void like found on some mod tracks. Also close your eyes when entering/exiting a race server as that can make you slightly sick too as the UI changes.

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2020, 10:41:34 AM +0100 »

Thanks for all the tips guys. I am not getting 90 fps as I have a VR entry level GPU in the RX480-8gb. I will spend some time doing a bit of overclocking on the Ryzen CPU and GPU too see if it has noticable gains. Also I am on 8gb RAM, so I will get me another 8gb next month.
However, I don't seem to notice much difference in frame rates with most of the settings in CM. Only reflections, shadows and Supersampling have some effect.

If I put the headset on, you see the pixels, but that disappears when you exit the pits! It is truly another dimension and I am really impressed. Especially looking into the turns and catching a sliding car is way more natural now. Only thing is the brake markers are barely readable.
Been driving the 917/30 @Road America, C9 @LeMans, GTaM @Croft and DRM @Brands and the motion sickness is ok for driving an hour or so. Though I still feel that Locked to Horizon is the more natural view imo. To bad it is really hard locked, so not completely as irl.

One more question then; in all of the Kunos cars I am exactly placed at the correct seat position. Not with the DRM cars, here I have to move the view settings. That is something normal with mod cars I suppose?

Well, tonight I will fire up KartKraft in VR...

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2020, 10:50:02 AM +0100 »

surprised you are placed correctly in any car automatically. I pretty much have to set my seat position in any new car until I save its view setting. And yes, reading brake boards is a little tougher with the Cv1, thankfully sharpened in the Rift S. Its just one of those compromises of using a VR headset unfortunately until they make them as sharp as monitors. Its generally outweighed by the massive improvement in situational awareness when racing and being able to look into the upcoming apex etc.

Should use it for wedsnesdays race in the 917 open cockpit cars, its mega  Smiley

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2020, 12:36:39 PM +0100 »

Kartcraft?
Make sure you have an bucket handy - especially at Atlanta Cheesy
MaxVeloce
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2020, 12:46:40 PM +0100 »

Though I still feel that Locked to Horizon is the more natural view imo. To bad it is really hard locked, so not completely as irl.

Horses for courses and all that  Smiley

Maybe try the Real Head Motion app then, I read that works in VR and will allow you to modify that lock to horizon too...
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2020, 02:48:35 PM +0100 »

Well KartKraft is great in VR too! But it is moving about much more, so i still feel dizzy today. Roll Eyes
Sitting here with some anti motion sickness wrist band from my son.
I will however try to start tonights race to see how it is in an online environment.

I will look into the head motion thingy in the next few days and post my results.

Anyone got a fps counter working in the rift?
It is not the same but there is some hud performance app hidden in the debug tool.

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2020, 10:58:30 AM +0000 »

So my Content Manager seems screwed and I am back using default UI. Now I would like to hear the sound through my tv when watching replay's. That was easy in CM, but now I can't get it to work. It keeps playing sound through the rift and when I make a video there is no sound anymore. Anyone know a work around perhaps?

frex

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2020, 11:33:03 AM +0000 »

That sounds like you just need to change playback device. Do you have a speaker icon in taskbar that you can click on? If not look in sound settings.
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2020, 12:39:55 PM +0000 »

I did change the sound output in the W10 task bar, but it remains playing the sound through the rift...
That was easy to change when using CM!  Roll Eyes

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2020, 01:36:48 PM +0000 »

I think you need to change the Window's default sound device before running AC.

I have a Reverb WMR Headset and when you put it on the PC detects a new USB sound device and immediately makes it the default one. I then have to change the default before running AC or RRE or I get the game sound in the headset.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com