The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

March 28, 2024, 09:30:25 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Oculus Rift in AC  (Read 4851 times)
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 05:34:06 PM +0000 »

Wow I was blown away using the single seaters, they are epic with VR  Shocked
I tried a modern Lotus and several old school single seaters including a Lotus 49 grid at Kayalami ...amazing!
Just sitting in the cockpit is spectacular, looking over your shoulder etc. Makes you feel like Jim Clark with your virtual arms sawing at the wheel.  Cool
I had my pixel density in default 1.0 so just adjusted that up to 1.4 and will see how it looks next time as did find it looking very pixelated. Frame rates are smooth as silk even with 20 cars and lots of tyre smoke and most of my settings left on high   Smiley
Wish I’d got one months ago.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 06:03:40 PM +0000 »

Something that guide doesnt detail is the graphics.ini

Render frames should =1
And the line underneath (mip bias details?) should be -1 or -2 it sharpens the overall image at no cost to fps.

Chris, i couldnt see 'render frames' ?
This is my graphics.ini (havent tweaked anything yet)..so change first line to 1 (max frame latency)? and MIP LOD to -1?

[DX11]
MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=0
MIP_LOD_BIAS=0 ; GO NEGATIVE (ie. -1) TO SHARP THE IMAGE
SHADOW_MAP_BIAS_0=0.000002
SHADOW_MAP_BIAS_1=0.000015
SHADOW_MAP_BIAS_2=0.0003
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_DX10=0 ; UNSUPPORTED USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
SKYBOX_REFLECTION_GAIN=1.5

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 06:07:18 PM +0000 »

I found the Oculus tray tool good. Just set a profile for AC and run the app before AC.
ChrisR
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 06:49:11 PM +0000 »

[DX11]
MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=1
MIP_LOD_BIAS=-2 ; GO NEGATIVE (ie. -1) TO SHARP THE IMAGE
SHADOW_MAP_BIAS_0=0.000002
SHADOW_MAP_BIAS_1=0.000015
SHADOW_MAP_BIAS_2=0.0003
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_DX10=0 ; UNSUPPORTED USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
SKYBOX_REFLECTION_GAIN=1.5

is was the first option, frame latency.

copy and paste that into your graphics.ini and save.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 06:51:32 PM +0000 »

Cheers Chris  Smiley

Anyone know how to turn off the stock leaderboard that appears down the left edge of your screen? Spoils the immersion and I use the neater stracker one anyway.

ChrisR
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 06:57:04 PM +0000 »

F9 cycles through them.

Ceolmor

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 12:43:21 AM +0000 »

The big neg is the resolution compared to what I’m used to with the triples but have read that most don’t notice it after a while. Does look a little 1990’s arcade pixelation, hopefully my brain will filter it out.

That is the screen door effect.  Your brain will filter it out.

The immersion factor is stunning.

The immersion will soon outweigh the lack of resolution.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 11:36:14 AM +0000 »

Yeah I hadn’t adjusted pixel density nor those settings Chris suggested so I’m hoping it looks a bit better next time I fire it up. Can guarantee I’ll be buying the next generation version when it comes out if the visuals improve further.  The immersion already outweighs the gfx for me after just a couple of hours familiarity, though I do like my eye candy normally.
Anyone know if VR works with flight sims? Can just imagine how cool it would look inside a spitfire etc cockpit with a Rift  Shocked though not sure I’d spot a dot in the sky as an enemy plane with the pixels  Cry

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 11:44:18 AM +0000 »

Anyone know if VR works with flight sims? Can just imagine how cool it would look inside a spitfire etc cockpit with a Rift  Shocked though not sure I’d spot a dot in the sky as an enemy plane with the pixels  Cry
Not in to combat flight sims so can't comment on that but DCS World, IL2 Stormavik (or however it's spelt) support native VR and I think it's coming in an update for Cliffs of Dover. XPlane 11 has recently added VR support, Prepar3d also has native VR which they claim to have improved in 4.2 which released last week. For FSX (Boxed or Steam) there is no native support but look up FlyInside as that adds it. Also available for Xplane and P3D. FlyInside allows you to drag other windows in to VR so you can still use things like moving maps/external checklists etc. Like the car sims the flying ones are again super immersive, not only is stuff in 3D it's also scaled correctly.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 12:36:09 PM +0000 »

Cheers Pete, I just need to retire so I can enjoy all this stuff  Cry only flight sims I have are Rise of Flight (ww1) and IL2 cliffs of Dover. I haven’t touched either in a couple of years as I just never have enough spare time but the thought of flying with VR inspires me to give it a whirl  Smiley

Felix Simoes

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 01:28:53 PM +0000 »

My son plays a lot of WarThunder (https://warthunder.com). It's really nice with VR  Smiley
ChrisR
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 03:56:51 PM +0000 »

Elite Dangerous is VR compatible.

Becareful tho... my mate did some barrel rolls out of a station and threw up lol.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 08:46:42 PM +0000 »

can imagine Elite would make me hurl! 360 degree spinning in any axis  Shocked bet its cool once mastered though.

Any idea why my AC is letting my windows sound (speakers) over ride the Rift in game? i have edited the oculus.ini in AC to say Rift=1 yet its ignoring that. Works okay if i also set windows sound to Rift but i dont want to do that.

TinMan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 09:32:06 PM +0000 »

Download Oculus Tray Tool, tick the relevant box and it will make your system revert to your Windows default sound option when you close the Oculus app.

TC
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 10:36:30 PM +0000 »

can imagine Elite would make me hurl! 360 degree spinning in any axis  Shocked bet its cool once mastered though.

Any idea why my AC is letting my windows sound (speakers) over ride the Rift in game? i have edited the oculus.ini in AC to say Rift=1 yet its ignoring that. Works okay if i also set windows sound to Rift but i dont want to do that.

That setting is irrelevant now.
Once in car, scroll down the apps to your right till you find the one for sound - Then change it to the Oculus.
Save, quit, restart, be happy  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com