The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 20, 2024, 12:32:44 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Oculus Rift in AC  (Read 5094 times)
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2018, 09:54:14 AM +0100 »

Nicked this tip from a rift thread at Kunos and it seems to sharpen up the image.
In your graphics.ini change the LOD value from 1 to 0.7  and in the oculus.ini change the 'pixel per display' current value to 1.5. (I wonder how far up that value can be pushed? - guess depends on your pc hardware) as early threads stated making it 1.4 for the sweet spot but gfx cards have improved since then. (I have a 1080).
There’s a YouTube thread that shows superb (monitor quality) using a Rift with iRacing so must be able to improve it for AC. Mine definitely looked better last night after making the tweaks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:02:53 PM +0100 by Mark J » Logged

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2018, 02:50:04 PM +0100 »

Also this:-
https://youtu.be/yp3jPUA7pJM

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2019, 09:55:24 AM +0100 »

anyone bought or tried the new Rift S yet? Saw a youtube vid where he slated it for not having IPD/A adjustment which seemed a major feux-pas for a VR headset that needs to suit anyones visual range. Now makes me think i cant buy one without trying it first as my left and right eyes are quite different in range. I havent heard whether its sharper visually than the old rift or if it has brightness adjustment.  Undecided

TinMan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2019, 10:26:27 AM +0100 »

IPD/A adjustment is done through the software, rather than physical adjustment. GamerMuscle did a try out of the Rift S and said that the image was much sharper, with next to no screen door effect.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2019, 10:39:01 AM +0100 »

interesting, thanks Tinman.  Smiley  its not too badly priced so might be worth an upgrade. Cant help but feel the current rift is ruining my eye-sight with constant eye strain and the poorer sharpness compared to a monitor isnt great either.

frex

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2019, 10:58:05 AM +0100 »

IPD/A adjustment is done through the software, rather than physical adjustment.

That is correct, the problem is that software adjustment of IPD can only correct for world scale effects to ensure images have the correct sizing. It cannot account for the effects of distortion, aberration and discomfort that can result from incorrect IPD setting. The lenses in the Rift S are set 63.5mm apart (pretty much the average value for male adult IPDs) and Facebook have published an ideal user IPD range of 61.5 - 65.5mm. Anyone within this range should be fine. You might also be fine if you're outside this range as there is wide variation in tolerance to IPD errors. But if you're a long way outside it might be wise to try it before buying.

The screens have better resolution, but at the small cost of slightly lower refresh rate. They've also ditched the high contrast OLED screens for lesser LCD panels, but overall the general impression is indeed of increased visual quality. I hope to try one myself soon.
MaxVeloce
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2019, 11:48:18 AM +0100 »

I have my name down for the Valve Index, its looking like probably the best with proper IPD and lens distance adjustment,  and still using the vive base stations for tracking - this bit is going to be crucial for my next upgrade as I need a second sensor tracking the seat rather then the headset for motion cancellation in VR!  (did I say SFX100 - google it  Tongue)

Rift S does look pretty good though, I'm sure it will help with eyestrain.  I always got annoyed at the original rift (and vive) because distance details are just not even close to sharp and you have to really look for braking markers etc coming up. Vive-pro fixed this for me, and I think the Rift S and Valve Index should be better than that out of the box.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2019, 12:57:58 PM +0100 »

@ Frex, can we determine what IPD range our eyes have before buying? or is that not possible?

will look into the Valve index, never heard of it!

frex

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2019, 01:41:27 PM +0100 »

It's easy to estimate your own IPD with reasonable accuracy (just google it). But assessing how much tolerance you may have if your IPD falls outside the recommended range is not. Some of this tolerance is down to how your eye muscles work, and how much "slack" they have in reserve, (an Optometrist should be able to advise you on this if you explain the issue) but some is down to highly individual psycho-visual factors that are not easily quantifiable - how much blur and distortion an individual can tolerate is highly subjective, and not something that can be measured as such.
frex

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2019, 01:54:22 PM +0100 »

Palmer Luckey was one of the founders of Oculus. He's no longer with the company after disagreements regarding marketing strategy, but he know's all there is to know about VR. He has a large IPD of 69.5mm and has thousands of hours without problems in the Rift CV1, but he can't use the Rift S.

Interesting article here: http://palmerluckey.com/i-cant-use-rift-s-and-neither-can-you/
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2019, 03:01:52 PM +0100 »

good article and explains it all well enough. But looks like i am definitely dumped back in the 'need to try before i buy' camp  Undecided  I wonder if you buy direct from Oculus they offer a no quibble refund if it doesnt suit your IPD.  Other than that i would have to hope someone like John Lewis stock it and demo it in-store  Undecided

MaxVeloce
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2019, 03:11:06 PM +0100 »

Surely amazon will sell them,  buy it, don't like it, just send it back.  They are very good for that.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2019, 10:53:28 AM +0100 »

Surely amazon will sell them,  buy it, don't like it, just send it back.  They are very good for that.

did think of them too, could be a good punt.  Smiley

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2019, 03:13:56 PM +0100 »

https://youtu.be/TsFAmEEbwfg

Good review of the HP Reverb

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2019, 04:19:47 PM +0100 »

Will watch that later ta Pete.

Did read some reviews on the Valve index earlier, seems good kit but very spendy at 1k  Shocked plus says its not glasses friendly (which i oddly need for the Rift even though my close up vision is strong  Huh )

The Rift S really gets a big mix of positive/negative reviews. A lot berate it for cheaper materials, tinny sound and the lack of IPD but also a lot of current Rift Cv1 owners say its a huge improvement in the visuals.

I'm very tempted to take the risk and ordering one off amazon as i am craving sharper visuals. If it doesnt suit my IPD i can send it back. Problem is i am also eye-ing up a GT Omega R rig to replace my playseat setup. Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com