The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 10:23:16 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Oculus Rift in AC  (Read 4854 times)
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2019, 04:41:29 PM +0100 »

I think VR headsets are all about distant vision, don't be fooled by the lenses being just mm away from your eyes. For the Rift you can get 3rd party lenses made to your prescription.

The HP is praised for its picture but again it only has a software IPD adjustment Sad It's also a fair bit more that a Rift but equally a fair bit less than a Valve anything. I got very close to buying a Reverb as HP had a glitch on their system and I could have got it £50 off. Sadly was too slow Sad I'll wait now for more reviews and to see how quickly it may drop in price. Windows WMR headsets often are available with a good discount and it's only what 5 months to Black Friday  Grin

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2019, 05:14:08 PM +0100 »

The rift is focused to just under infinity - so if you're short sighted like me then you'll see bugger all without your glasses Tongue
My only option is the Index, with my eyes there's no way I'd be able to use the new Rift thanks to the software IPD adjustment and my tiny head.

Pete - do you have a link to the custom lenses? It would upset a friend of mine hugely, but I'd love to use it without having to wear glasses!
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2019, 07:19:20 PM +0100 »

Not needing glasses for long distance I've no personal experience. Google throws up a couple

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/
https://vr-lens-lab.com/

I think someone in one of the flight sim groups I'm involved with may have got some I'll ask.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2019, 04:40:36 PM +0000 »

anyone here upgraded to a Rift S yet?  I'm wondering whether its worth the expense considering its not a quantum leap over the cv1 version. Its dropped to £349 in most places now so not exorbitant but not cheap either. But it does have better resolution and is apparently more comfortable to wear for longer periods.  Undecided  For the amount of hours i wear it over the year for enjoyment/immersion i dont feel its too bad an expense to improve the all important visuals and a bit more comfort.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2019, 03:54:16 PM +0000 »

Typical, went to push the button on one of these today and the sneaky price fixing basts have put it back up to £400 'everywhere'  Roll Eyes nowt like competitive trading  taz

I read a lot of reviews from the sim community and the general feel was that the visuals and comfort were a big step up over the Cv1. Will just have to wait until January sales now i expect 

LesN

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2019, 11:17:10 PM +0000 »

Haven't looked at the specs for the rift s, but for now I'm happy with my cv1. The upgrade from the dk2 I had before that was more on the level of integration with the audio and controllers than the graphics.

If I was going to upgrade right now I'd be looking for a wider field of view and a much, much higher res display. And to run that I'd need a much higher spec pc as well... The pimax headsets look interesting but don't offer  a complete solution yet.

But despite the low res of the headsets compared to my 4k monitor, I'd never willingly go back to racing on a screen
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2019, 07:06:21 AM +0000 »

Grin Exactly why I don't bother with ACC, good on monitor, crap in VR.
Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2019, 09:02:34 AM +0000 »

Typical, went to push the button on one of these today and the sneaky price fixing basts have put it back up to £400 'everywhere'  Roll Eyes nowt like competitive trading  taz

I read a lot of reviews from the sim community and the general feel was that the visuals and comfort were a big step up over the Cv1. Will just have to wait until January sales now i expect 

what does it require in power pc?
I have a ryzen 2600x and a rx480, comfortable for the games I use, but surely too low for quality vr ?!
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2020, 08:55:23 AM +0000 »

I need some advice here guys. There is an Asus Radeon RX480 8gb on its way to upgrade my gaming rig and I was wondering if it would put me into the basic VR ballpark. And as someone is so nice to offer me a Rift cv1, practicly giving it away, i am now diving into the basic requirements for a Rift.

So my current rig uses an old but fast Xeon quad core (3.5ghz) which would have been good enough last year, but now i am reading about the Oculus Home installer checking for the SSE4.2 functionality and ruling out older processors from installing their software. Sad
It looks like I need to upgrade more than just the GFX card..

As most of my “happy budget” is spend on the new card, I am looking for a cheap and quick upgrade for the MoBo, CPU and RAM next to switching to W10.
So are there still people running VR on older CPU’s like maybe an I7 2700K (socket lga1155)? These upgrade kits are fairly cheap to come by at this moment and would mean I can upgrade within budget.
I will probably still get a message that my hardware is not meeting minimum requirements that way, but I have no clue if that is really a problem to run AC in VR..?

The other option is to source me a really basic LGA1150 or 1151 MoBo and processor, but one that does not have any good upgrade/overclock possibility’s.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

School is important, but race cars are importanter
LesN

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2020, 09:04:51 AM +0000 »

I'm still managing to run my cv1 with an i5-3570k from 2013, although I've upgraded the gpu to a 1070. That said, I've been getting cpu occupancy >99% messages on and off, and I need to be thinking about an upgrade. Still, you should be okay with yours
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2020, 10:52:19 AM +0000 »

my pc spec is now about 4yrs old and i ran the Rift cv1 and now Rift S perfectly, no stutters or fps slow down.  Smiley

Asus 1511 Prime B2520-Pro motherboard
Intel i7 6700 cpu
EVGA 1080 GTX Gfx card
16mb DDR4 RAM
SSD Drive 1gb
HDD drive 2gb
Asus VC239H Monitors x 3
Rift S

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2020, 08:11:44 AM +0000 »

I'm still managing to run my cv1 with an i5-3570k from 2013, although I've upgraded the gpu to a 1070. That said, I've been getting cpu occupancy >99% messages on and off, and I need to be thinking about an upgrade. Still, you should be okay with yours

Ok, good to know. So you don't have annoying messages that it is not compatible then? My quad core doesn't support SSE4.2 so I won't be able to install the Oculus Home installer it seems..

Are there people here that are running it on AMD processors? Ryzen should be good, but how about the older (FX) series? I haven't looked into AMD for ages, but wouldn't exclude them in my search for an upgrade.

School is important, but race cars are importanter
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2020, 12:23:49 PM +0100 »

Any Rift-s owners on here? I’ve tried searching for ways of disabling ‘guardian’ as it’s just not needed for sim racing and has recently been randomly losing tracking whilst mid race which is bloody frustrating. It seems linked with their recent driver updates as it was rock solid for months.  Roll Eyes

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2020, 09:36:33 PM +0100 »

Any Rift-s owners on here? I’ve tried searching for ways of disabling ‘guardian’ as it’s just not needed for sim racing and has recently been randomly losing tracking whilst mid race which is bloody frustrating. It seems linked with their recent driver updates as it was rock solid for months.  Roll Eyes

No idea, can't you just tell the software to 'forget' the headset and then set it up again?
Then you can skip the guardian bit when you reach it and that won't cause any problems.

There might also be an option in either the account tab or one near it..
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2020, 06:52:36 PM +0100 »

According to all the vitriol on the Oculus forums, I’m not the only one not impressed by guardian interference and batteries lasting only a couple of weeks.  Roll Eyes Oculus only seem to respond to threads that suit them which incenses people further  Grin
Never had these problems with the cv1  Sad to be fair it’s only just started happening since a coupld of big win10 updates and oculus driver updates.  taz

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com