by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 09:23:17 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Passing/lapping in GTL  (Read 794 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:23:47 PM +0100 »

Following some comments I have received I feel it would be helpful if Drivers were reminded of our current rules regarding passing and lapping. I have copied these below.

The driver of the passing car bears primary responsibility for safely overtaking the car being passed.
If the driver ahead runs wide and provides an opportunity for the following driver to get alongside, both drivers are responsible for leaving each other racing room.
Where two drivers on different laps are racing for position by virtue of one of them having made a pit stop before the other, any passing attempt should be regarded as for position and not as lapping.

Lapping And Being Lapped
The lapped driver should not change their line on a straight whilst being lapped.
A driver may elect to hold a tight line out of a corner and remain on the inside to allow a lapping driver to pass them using the normal racing line.
Drivers should not suddenly slow in the middle of a corner unless they are on the outside and the lapping car is clearly inside them.
The lapped driver should hold a predictable line and allow the lapping driver to move around them. The lapped driver may blend off the throttle slightly to help the lapping car past; drivers being lapped by cars in the same or slower classes are strongly encouraged to do so.
A driver should never lift off or brake on a straight with another driver right behind them.
The lapping driver should wherever possible prefer a pass under power to a pass on the brakes.
This frequently means being patient and going through at least one corner following the driver about to be lapped, setting the pass up.
A driver who is about to be passed by a car not on the same lap shall not unreasonably hold up the faster competitor.
This covers both being lapped, and being 'unlapped', that is, passed by a faster car that is one or more laps behind.

Passes for Position ('contested' passes)
Where drivers are racing for position, they are expected to display a high level of sportsmanship.
A driver must not move over on a straight to prevent a pass if doing so would force the driver behind to lift off or brake to avoid running into them.
The following driver does not need to have any overlap for this rule to be in effect.
If the leading driver exits a corner leaving enough room on one side track for another car, they are not permitted to move to that side if the following driver has clearly committed to it and is too close to switch to the other side without lifting off.
A driver must not move over more than once on a straight to prevent a pass.
A driver must not change line in or immediately before a braking zone.
A driver who is hit from behind as the result of doing this has only themself to blame.
Persistently driving down the centre of the track in order to make passing difficult is not acceptable.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:32:39 PM +0100 »

Hmmmm, I suspect this post was prompted by Monday's 1st race, where I was considering an incident report
as I felt wronged. But these (ok not new) rules would make it 100% my fault, so no point.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:36:38 PM +0100 by phspok » Logged

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com