Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 02:53:25 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S3355F1 Valentino: July 01, 2018
July 01, 2018, 10:47:21 PM +0100 - Valentino (1955) - UKGPL Season 33 (2018) 1955 Grand Prix
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Clive Loynes
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Maserati 250F F1 1955 1 1:47.934
87.269mph
1 47:35.955
85.751mph
26 1:48.554
86.771mph
Pirelli  
FullMetalGasket
 Black Night Racing
Gordini T16 F1 1955 2 +0.406
86.942mph
2 +58.413
84.033mph
26 1:50.652
85.126mph
Englebert  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Connaught Type B F1 1955 3 +0.847
86.590mph
3 +4L
85.151mph
22 1:48.859
86.528mph
Disco
Pirelli  
bagrupp
 Team Groundhog
Gordini T16 F1 1955 6 +7.185
81.822mph
4 +16L
82.026mph
10 1:52.647
83.618mph
Disco
Englebert  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Ferrari 625 F1 1955 5 +4.529
83.755mph
5 +21L
81.491mph
5 1:53.015
83.346mph
Disco
Englebert  
Cookie
 Antipasti Racing
Gordini T16 F1 1955 8 +12.990
77.895mph
6 +24L
76.746mph
2 2:00.179
78.377mph
Disco
Englebert  
Jeep
 TEAM-GTLDK
Ferrari 625 F1 1955 4 +1.345
86.195mph
7 +26L
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Englebert  
DLogan

Maserati 250F F1 1955 7 +9.309
80.340mph
9 DNS ---
---
Pirelli  
60fps UKGPL8

Mercedes W196 SL F1 1955 9 10 ---
---
Continental  

Moderator's Report

Summary
A clean race with no reported incidents.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 33 (2018) 1955 Grand Prix - Valentino - Jul 1  (Read 2081 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2018, 11:46:57 PM +0100 »

1955 Grand Prix - Round 4 – Parco del Valentino

Parco del Valentino (also known as Valentino Park) is a popular public park in Turin, Italy. It is located along the west bank of the Po river.  Several races were held here between 1935 and 1954, it is the 1954 layout that we will be using for this race.  This is a very challenging circuit with virtually no run-off areas, plenty of undulations and blind corners.  Discretion is the better part of valour for this track.

Carefully read the rules on the championship standings page.

Race listiGOR
ServerUKGPL_8
IP addressSee IGOR
Date01-07-2018
Trackturin55
Mod55F1 with 60fpsV2newmod
Damage PRO long
Race time~ 21:30 UK time
Qualifying 20:45 UK time - 45 minutes
Race length26 laps
Replay here

Please restrict chat to emergency messages only including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Password: see above
Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

Handicapping and chassis allocation.
This season the 1955 Grand Prix cars will be using a token system which allows drivers to purchase any chassis of their choice for a given number of tokens as published on the championship standings page. Drivers classed as Amateurs will be allocated an additional 10 tokens.  The token allocation will not be managed in SRou this season so (unlike the 67F1 Works and 67F1 Privateer divisions) the tokens available to each driver will not appear in the championship table (when the mouse pointer is hovered over the driver's total).  Rather, the available tokens will be published in the race announcement. See table below.

Available Tokens:
Note: These are the tokens available to each driver before the 10 tokens are added for making the race start.

Driver   TokensStatus
bagrupp
Pro
Clive Loynes
Pro
Doni Yourth
Pro
EvilClive
Pro
fpolicardi
Am
francesco   
Am
Phil Thornton
Am
DLogan
Am
Gareth
Am
Jeep
Am
Uli   
Pro
FullMetalGasket
Pro
Will Tway
Pro
Baab
Am
Cookie
Pro
Samb
Pro
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:04:30 PM +0100 »

Not a lot of banter on here.

Is anyone turning up tonight?

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 08:20:53 PM +0100 »

Just starting practice - assuming I have the track....
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:34:02 PM +0100 »

One other thing - can you give the server a different car please?
When It's got the Gordini I always seem to end up in something that doesn't have a brake indicator...
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 08:36:40 PM +0100 »

One other thing - can you give the server a different car please?
When It's got the Gordini I always seem to end up in something that doesn't have a brake indicator...

That must be tricky!

The server could use the Merc SL here without upsetting many people.  ;-)

DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 09:28:40 PM +0100 »

I'm no where near even being somewhat safe on this track. Do brakes do nothing? Of course, expected, dealt with. So rely on engine braking (Plan B).

Which slows me down some times, others (approaching same corner, same line, same stance and speed and rpm and all) and no slow at all and wham.

GLA, cyas next (maybe).
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:23:13 PM +0100 »

Grats to Clive and to Tim (in that infuriatingly quick Gordini), I guess that you two finished 1st and 2nd after I got a screen freeze about 3 laps from the flag.

It looked like a few others also got disco'd as after only a few laps my prib showed only 4 cars running...and then just us 3?

It IS a tricky circuit Dean and I struggled to control the brake fade. Even resorted to picking 3 brake markers for each corner!! one for green, one for yellow and one for red  Undecided Whatever I did it did not appear to give me a reliable amount of brake fade and there were several instances where the bales provided the last bit of retardation.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 10:48:32 PM +0100 »

It is a nice track, I saw it today the first time, but with these stupid cars brakes no joy...
such a shame as these cars could make real fun if the remaining brakes would be 10% better Roll Eyes

I lost my RF wheel at an invisible wall cutting over the boardwalk, so an early ending.

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 10:59:24 PM +0100 »

That is a very difficult circuit in the 1955 cars.  But it is possible to race, so long as you don't try to drive it as a '67 car.

The brakes are variable, depending on how often you use them.  Once you have established a routine for a lap they are not an issue.

If you are following another car you may be dabbing the brakes without knowing it.  That can cause you to think that something is inconsistent but the inconsistency is you.

My brake indicator showed all the three colours over practically every lap, all the way to the end.

I had the advantage of already having messed up three '55 races at this track so I spent some time sorting out a setup that would be quick enough without blowing the engine, which was something that I was doing a few days back.  This morning I did a 32 lap stint on Pro mode to test that the engine would last, so long as I was a good boy on my gear changes.  I was ready for the race!

From the black lines that appeared on the track surface in practice, some people didn't look to have done a lap prior to this event.  I don't think that this approach is going to bring the required results because the '55 mod is a serious challenge for even the most experienced GPL driver.

But please don't winge about the brakes, just figure out where you can use them.  It's the same for all.  (Unless you are in a Gordini.  The brakes on that are lined with Weetabix)

It's no good saying that it is wrong or no good,  just because it isn't the same as the '67 original.

It's a brilliant mod!!!   Roll Eyes

fpolicardi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 11:17:59 PM +0100 »

I had some frustrating practice two days ago without manage to keep the brakes more than two lap. Tonight I took the track more seriously and managed to run 6 laps with Bastian on my neck, but suddenly braking for the chicane before the long straight my car swerved to the right an got a light pylon and ended on fire. End of the game. Congrats to who survived.
Ciao

Fulvio Policardi
Team7 Driver
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 10:04:55 AM +0100 »

I fully agree with Clive Loynes that these cars are an entirely different challenge and should not be compared to the 67's ( or any other mod that we have in GPL).
Personally I find the brake fade issue the very thing that makes this mod so much fun. If the 55's had the same brakes as the 67's, then it would just be the same racing but with different skins??? Following another car closely is very difficult, just as Clive says and I find that I am instinctively tapping the brakes to avoid contact. Unfortunately, when it comes to a big corner half of my brakes are used up and I can be in trouble.

I have found that it takes a change of mind set to drive these cars aggressively. I had not realised just how I was balancing all of the other mods through corners using both the brakes and the gas, and doing that in 55's just does not work for more than a lap or two. I have to really concentrate and tell myself to keep my foot off that brake pedal until I absolutely need it, and yet half way through a race I find that I am reverting to my usual driving style and have to re-focus.

There is a rumour of a 1935 mod somewhere deep in the backroom development area?......so what sort of brakes ( if any!!) might those have?Huh!!! Maybe we will have to plan our braking a lap ahead? or find a way of driving without brakes!!! lol. But if it offers us the chance to experience some of the challenges of that era, I am all for it.  Grin

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 10:22:46 AM +0100 »

Well, a really disappointing night for me. Qualified as best of the rest behind the front 3 but still felt pretty good though having turned in quite a few laps around here in the 55's and knew my Q time was about a second off my PB.

Got stuck behind Tim's French slug off the line but wasn't worried as I knew once he got up to speed he would hopefully drag me back towards the leaders. I never got the chance to find out though as I was completely caught out by his braking point into the chicane on Lap 1. It was obviously a choice of taking us both out (And probably others). So I chucked it sideways and took to the grass in the hope of rejoining once everyone had gone past unfortunately some idiot had put a lamp post right right on my escape trajectory and I ended up on my roof. Sad

Oh well.

I still think the brake face needs a little tweaking. Based on nothing more than "Gut feeling" I think the build up of temperature and recovery after they overheat should be more gradual, more so on the build up side. Drums they may be but they are stuck out in the breeze unlike tin top racing of a similar era. (But JMO, not based on any real knowledge).

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 10:38:32 AM +0100 »

I had some frustrating practice two days ago without manage to keep the brakes more than two lap. Tonight I took the track more seriously and managed to run 6 laps with Bastian on my neck, but suddenly braking for the chicane before the long straight my car swerved to the right an got a light pylon and ended on fire. End of the game. Congrats to who survived.
Ciao

I'm sure that you will get the hang of it Fulvio.  As Evil Clive says it takes a different approach.  You cannot use your brakes as a suplimentary steering aid.  Roll Eyes

The next event is Monza 10K and to be honest the brake management should not be an issue.  The racing is at least three times as difficult because you do not have the option of jumping on the anchors to get out of trouble.

However, those who found that the brakes were an issue here should start to practice for Aintree now!  And avoid using a car at Monza that leaves you with no option other than the Gordini at Aintree.  ;-)   Unless your name is Tim!

Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 10:39:07 AM +0100 »

I was test driving this mod and there were beta versions with more brake left under red!

I do never compare them to 67s, but we had a feedback of a RL Mercedes mechanic,
who confirmed that these cars never had problems with the brakes, you can see the big cooling brake drums they used...

Those drum brakes were racing brakes and not drum brakes of american street cars Grin

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Jeep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 11:54:09 AM +0100 »

I was test driving this mod and there were beta versions with more brake left under red!

I do never compare them to 67s, but we had a feedback of a RL Mercedes mechanic,
who confirmed that these cars never had problems with the brakes, you can see the big cooling brake drums they used...

Those drum brakes were racing brakes and not drum brakes of american street cars Grin

Agreed, and that's my feeling. They should not build up heat so quickly neither should they retain the heat for so long. But as always I acknowledge the research carried out by the mod teams and am happy to accept it even though it doesn't feel quite right to me. I guess it's just such a big step from what we are used to.

TTFN
John.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable.
Choose any 2.

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com