Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 09:17:55 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S3355F1 Monza: July 15, 2018
July 15, 2018, 09:40:14 PM +0100 - Monza (Full 10km) - UKGPL Season 33 (2018) 1955 Grand Prix
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Clive Loynes
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Mercedes W196 SL F1 1955 3 +0.579
135.870mph
1 47:14.056
134.200mph
17 2:44.802
135.753mph
Continental  
Cookie
 Antipasti Racing
Lancia D50 F1 1955 5 +0.924
135.586mph
2 +0.458
134.179mph
17 2:44.741
135.803mph
Pirelli  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Lancia D50 F1 1955 2 +0.393
136.024mph
3 +13.953
133.543mph
17 2:44.703
135.835mph
Pirelli  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Mercedes W196 SL F1 1955 7 +2.152
134.585mph
4 +21.092
133.209mph
17 2:45.233
135.399mph
Continental  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Ferrari 555 SS F1 1955 10 +3.576
133.442mph
5 +49.233
131.909mph
17 2:46.875
134.067mph
Englebert  
FullMetalGasket
 Black Night Racing
Gordini T16 F1 1955 8 +2.915
133.970mph
6 +1:07.182
131.093mph
17 2:47.398
133.648mph
Englebert  
DLogan

Maserati 250F F1 1955 11 +5.078
132.257mph
7 +10L
124.102mph
7 2:45.945
134.818mph
Disco
Pirelli  
francesco
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Ferrari 555 SS F1 1955 9 +3.234
133.714mph
8 +13L
130.615mph
4 2:47.024
133.947mph
Disco
Englebert  
Ziu Bacubacu
  OLD SCHOOL RACING TEAM
Lancia D50 F1 1955 4 +0.772
135.711mph
9 +0.079
130.600mph
4 2:49.180
132.240mph
Disco
Pirelli  
Jeep
 TEAM-GTLDK
Mercedes W196 SL F1 1955 1 2:44.081
136.350mph
10 +15L
131.891mph
2 2:45.960
134.806mph
Disco
Continental  
uli

Ferrari 555 SS F1 1955 6 +2.152
134.585mph
11 +16L
126.494mph
1 2:54.875
127.934mph
Disco
Englebert  
4 UKGPL

Lancia D50 F1 1955 12 12 DNS ---
---
{unknown}  

Moderator's Report

Summary
Just 1 reported incident.

Server replay time: 0h14m08s

Lap 5 – Curva Nord – Ziu Bacubacu and Francesco Molteni
Francesco and Ziu have been trading places for a couple of laps. As the cars approach Curva Nord, Ziu has a great draft and is travelling 7mph faster than Francesco. He moves to the right to take the inside line but Francesco moves across forcing Ziu onto the hard standing to the side of the main track. The hard standing comes to an abrupt end leaving Ziu with no option but to take to the grass. Ziu cannot maintain control and he spins into Francesco taking both cars out of the race.

On lap 4, Ziu made a successful overtake at the same corner when he achieved 100% overlap at replay time 0h1m16s. This overlap was achieved before the second to last bollard. However, on lap 5 when he tried the same manoeuvre he didn’t achieve 100% overlap until a long way after the last bollard (replay time 0h14m07s). Ziu should have realised that he wasn’t in as good a position on lap 5 as he had been on lap 4 and he would have been wise to back out of the manoeuvre.

Having just been passed the lap before on the same corner, Francesco should have been prepared for an attack by Ziu and should have been monitoring his mirrors. Ziu clearly disappears from Francesco’s mirrors on the approach to Curva Nord so Francesco should have known that Ziu would be on his inside. It would have been wise for Francesco to leave much more room for Ziu than he did. Any defensive move to the inside should have been made much earlier whilst Ziu was in full view and BEFORE Ziu made his move.

The normal guidelines which address the % overlap required when attempting a pass are aimed at corners where the cars turn-in towards a definite apex. The banked corners are rather a special case in that they are more like straights and don’t have a conventional apex. Ziu made his move to the inside at replay time 0h14m05s. As Ziu comes into full view in Francesco's right hand mirror, Francesco also moves across. It is difficult to prove Francesco moved across in response Ziu’s move but it should have been obvious that once Ziu had disappeared from view that Francesco had to leave room.

Both drivers could have done something to avoid contact so neither driver can be held solely responsible. Consequently blame cannot be wholly apportioned to one driver and hence this collision has to be called a racing incident.

It must be noted that the declaration of a racing incident does not mean both drivers are exonerated. Rather both drivers are to some degree culpable, they should consider their actions and endeavour to avoid similar incidents in the future.

• Racing incident

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 33 (2018) 1955 Grand Prix - Monza 10k - Jul 15  (Read 2380 times)
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 09:10:40 AM +0100 »

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!
What an absolute belter of a race, and sorry to find out afterwards that a few had suffered a screen freeze.  That happened to me on the last visit here, in the previous season, but I'm happy to say that no such event has happened since transfering to my new race pc.

I had done the best part of qualy on race fuel, and had towed Ziu around for his best lap as well.  In the last ten minutes or so I went for a run on low fuel but couldn't find a tow, which I thought that I would need to better my original time.  I did manage to tow Evil for his lap that turned out faster than mine!!  Grrr.

I made a good start and passed Evil on the way to Curva Grande.  John held on around the outside and I then just tried to avoid contact with everyone.  As a result I arrived at Parabolica in 4th spot, not having contested a pass anywhere.

But that was all part of the plan.  In my test runs on the server with Axel it appeared that whilst he could make my life difficult through the slow stuff with his Lancia, there was no way, if we were close, that he could get across the line first unless it suited my plan.

Evil was also in the Lancia so the fly in the ointment was John in another SL.  The GPL gods took care of John for me.  Hard luck John, remind me to make a suitable offering.   Roll Eyes
After I had towed our group far enough away from the chasing pack, I really wanted to be in 3rd spot, so that I was safe from other's brake fade.  Evil obliged by passing me at Curva Grande and having achieved my aim I settled down to watch the Lancia Show.  Grin

With about six lap to go I decided to start stiring things up a bit and went back to the front and tried a few different lines to see what the other two did about it.  The gods came to my rescue again when I watched the two Lancias duking it out in Parabolica.  Evil took avoiding action due to what he later referred to as "Axel's wandering rear".  This dropped Evil out of the tow and at that point the odds were well in my favour.

I just had to make sure that I was within 100m of Axel as we exited Parabolica on the last lap and the race would be mine.

Thanks to Axel, Evil and John for some great racing.

What's the next one?

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 01:33:08 PM +0100 »

Yes, thanks for that tow at the end of qualifying Clive  Wink. Up to that point I was beginning to think that my deodorant was not working, because I could not find anyone to slipstream  Shocked...something that is critical around here!

Monza 10k is a circuit where the race is decided on the last lap, provided you are in the leading group and stay out of trouble  Roll Eyes

So...getting 2nd spot on the grid was going to help me stay with the wild bunch at the front. Clive and John looked to be a big threat in those SL's and Axel had obviously done some serious practice in his Lancia. There were some fast cars behind who might have similar ambitions  Undecided

Like Mr Loynes, I was not bothered about leading provided that that I was "in the tow" and in the leading group. There were a few nervous moments in the early laps as John and Axel set a punishing pace and looked like they might possibly escape. So I was relieved when Clive eased past in his SL and towed me back into contention  Wink. John and Clive effectively towed Axel and myself away from the chasing group until we were a safe distance clear and I could relax and sit in 4th....until John vanished and Axel and Clive pushed the pace.
I suspect that my gearing was different to that which Axel was using, because he appeared to be able to run faster around the banked section but through Curve Grande and the Lesmos I could make up any lost ground.  It did occur to me that Clive must have been sick of pulling a gap around the high speed sections, only to see my Lancia sat on his a** exiting Lesmo 2 for lap after lap.
Then he dropped back and I suspected that he was just sandbagging in his silver machine, which gave me a dilemma. Should I stay with Axel at the front ? or drop back with Clive and rely on his slipstream to drag me back to the front in the final laps?
I opted to stay with Axel at the front, just in case I made a mistake later and lost the tow from Clive. This was OK for the next 10 laps and I was beginning to work out where I might gain an advantage in the final lap.
It was around this point that I realised I was carrying around 10 galls of extra fuel!!, which might explain my lack of top speed? but not how I was faster through the corners!!??
Then Clive decided to rejoin the action and cruised up behind us. I was watching him in my mirrors and Axel's tail pipes as we approached Parabolica. Axel was taking the inside line and Clive looked like he was just going to wait for the banked section to make his move. As I turned into Parabolica Axel's rear end twitched and I was obliged to take avoiding action to avoid any contact. The move to miss Axel unsettled the car and broke the adhesion ( what adhesion??!!) of the tyres and my Lancia slid towards that huge gravel trap  Roll Eyes I thought that i had almost caught the slide and might just get away with it..........but the tarmac was a few cms too narrow and I dropped two wheels into the gravel. By the time I had regained the tarmac and full control Axel and Clive were gone and beyond slipstream range.
I tried to close the gap, hoping for a mistake from the pair ahead, but eventually I had to accept that 3rd was my best hope. Undecided
No probs with Axel's "twitch" that is what happens when you race at those speeds and that close.

Grats to Clive and Axel and to all those who finished.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 02:06:42 PM +0100 »

Yeah,
that was Monza at it's best, thanks to the Clives and sorry for John who got lost early  thumbup2

I was not too much worried about the 5th position on the grid,
so I followed Johns tow and was in second position out of Lesmo2... Shame he got lost!

The rest was gaming around with this great feeling when you go through Lesmos or other "corners" side by side...
I overdid it into Para and Clive avoided contact with me, sacrificing his chance of a 2nd place, sorry and thanks  Roll Eyes

It was clear that our Lancias had not grunt enough to pass an SL, so Clive L won because he made all right.

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 08:32:29 PM +0100 »

It was a great race, Monza10k is huge fun. 

I had a bit of a bad start, for some reason my frame rate was dropping to 30FPS in the corners for the first couple of laps. So I had to drive very carefully and a I lost a few places before I actually went wide at Parabolica and ended up second last.  After that the framerate issue cleared up and I tried to catch up. My super fast Merc SL provided a bit of help to Dean but he was faster than me on the corners which I suspect caught him out at the Curva Grande (I saw him spin in my mirrors probably trying to avoid my cautious approach - sorry mate). After that I caught and passed the mid-field runners but I couldn't catch the first three. The gap stayed pretty constant so with a tow I might have been able to make it a four way fight. I saw Evil drop back and I thought I might have a chance to close in given he had lost the tow but I pushed too hard, made mistakes and dropped back. A good race for me, admittedly I had a massive car advantage but I needed it. You pay your tokens and you take your choice.

The next round at Aintree will be a completely different challenge. I won't be using the SL, I need a car with brakes?Huh
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 08:47:21 PM +0100 »

Don't pick the Gordini then - I even ran out of brakes here!

I had hoped the Gordini would fare better here what with it's decent top speed and fairly good handling - but this actually seems to be the harshest track I've driven on yet for her Shocked
I had been hoping to hang in there and maybe even try to steal a place at the end, but after Phil blasted past and lift Fulvio from my clutches I was left lapping on my own at the back.
I stayed on track in the hope someone would suffer brake/brain fade, but no-one did Sad

See you all at the next one, I'll mostly have flames coming from my wheels I suspect.
uli

If you want finish first you have to finish first.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2018, 09:44:39 PM +0100 »

no luck this season
Engine trouble (piston) after only one lap Sad
cu next
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 10:36:50 PM +0100 »

no luck this season
Engine trouble (piston) after only one lap Sad
cu next

Hard luck Uli.  I think that Axel lost his engine at Indianapolis after two corners and many years ago I can recall some poor unfortunates having their engines expire on the grid. 

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2018, 12:12:52 AM +0100 »

Mod report published.
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2018, 10:13:08 PM +0100 »

Mod report revised on appeal.

Please note the declaration of a racing incident does not mean neither driver did anything wrong.  It simply means the margins are so tight it is difficult to apportion blame to one driver and one driver alone. In this case, as in all racing incidents, there are lessons to be learnt:

• Spacial Awareness - Always be aware of where other drivers are even if you cannot see them. It is not acceptable to move across into another driver just because they are not visible. To race GPL safely on-line you need to develop a 6th sense and know where the others cars are even if you cannot see them.  Whether you think you are right or not, in the interests of self preservation it is wise to be cognizant of your surroundings and avoid any contact.
  • Patience - On some tracks passing opportunities may be few and far between, but at Monza the slipstreaming means it is quite feasible for two evenly matched drivers to exchange places several times a lap. Unless you are sure you can make a clean pass, back off and wait for a better opportunity. It WILL come.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com