Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 08:38:36 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 33 - End of season review  (Read 1397 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:03:22 PM +0100 »

It is something of a tradition here at UKGPL to have an end-of-season review where the drivers get a chance to declare what went well and what didn’t. Season 33 is no different, so this is your chance to influence the direction of UKGPL. The moderators cannot promise to implement all your suggestions but where possible they will be considered when setting up Season 34.

Here are some questions to get the ball rolling:

1.    Has the token system worked well with all car sets?
2.    Should “Amateur” drivers get extra tokens?
3.    Should all races be “Pro” rules?
4.    Has the mixture of 2L and 3L classes worked well in the 66F1 series?
5.    Was having the available tokens listed in the race announcement helpful?
6.    What car sets do you want to see in Season 34?
7.    Do you like the rule that drivers must complete 50% of the race to score?
8.    What tracks would you like to see in Season 34?
9.    Do you like the combined championship tables as in the 1967 F1 where there was a combined table and separate tables for the Works and privateers?
10.   Are the rules, penalty guidelines and etiquette recommendations fit for purpose or are there any areas that need revising?

There are numerous other questions that could be asked so don’t limit your responses to the above.

We are planning to start Season 34 on Sunday 13/01/2019 with the intention to have an eight week break in the summer with Season 35 starting on Sunday 28/07/2019. That way we can fit two full seasons into a calendar year. Having a season always starting on the second Sunday of the year should help drivers plan their racing calendars.
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 11:44:11 PM +0100 »

The one I entered, yes. (65)

Depends if you want faster Ams racing slower Pros in the races where a an Am can take a Lotus and a Pro is in a BT7.
Some Pros say yes, some Pros say no.
If it is a truly split grid, with 2 separate races, then no, as equal tokens will help split the grid further.
If there is a 65 league i Plan on taking the BT7 in Ams as I like driving it and I would like some closer racing.
Would like a bigger grid too.

No. Us inconsistent Ams like to finish the odd race. Smiley

Probably for some but I don't use it as I keep my own spreadsheet so I can plan what chassis to use and practise with beforehand.

69X

Yes

10.   Are the rules, penalty guidelines and etiquette recommendations fit for purpose or are there any areas that need revising?
Yes and none that I know of.

DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 01:39:16 AM +0100 »

...1.    Has the token system worked well with all car sets?...

I think it has. Instead of being static as they have been, tho, I suggest that the most used cars get more expensive, and the least used cheaper, after each season. Less tokens for pros v. ams would be good, too.
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 09:35:07 AM +0100 »

Worked fine in 55s.

No

Yes if there are Pro/Works drivers in it.

Haven't a clue.

Yes.

Yes

This season in 55 the tracks were good.  No daft fantasy tracks!

9.    Do you like the combined championship tables as in the 1967 F1 where there was a combined table and separate tables for the Works and privateers?
Sounds a good idea but I didn't look.

Still seem ok.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Rainier
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:49:28 AM +0100 »

Quote from: Phil Thornton
It was OK for me

Yes when they drive with "Works", but maybe less extra tokens than in season33

YES

It was perfect for me.

YES

mod67, mod66 and maybe F2

YES, YES, YES

50% papy tracks, 50% new tracks

Yes, it was very nice

seems to be OK in 99% cases

We are planning to start Season 34 on Sunday 13/01/2019 with the intention to have an eight week break in the summer with Season 35 starting on Sunday 28/07/2019.
There is no holidays in UK on August ?  Cool
8 weeks break in summer, and season starting on 28/07 means a break from 10 June to 27 July. I would prefer from 5 July to end of August ...

Le silence éternel de ces espaces infinis m'effraie
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 05:54:24 PM +0100 »

1. The token system seems too generous, it allows drivers to switch to nimble cars on slower tracks without penalty.  It could also be adjusted to demand, as already suggested.  A third improvement would be a token cost every time a driver switches chassis? 

I would prefer a more team based approach for at least one series, with an offseason wrangle for chassis, or team leaders signing drivers.  Perhaps a 65-69 series?

2. Six-seven drivers doesn't justify a separate series.  While we should encourage new drivers, this needs a new approach, and it seems doubtful we could start a rookie series for a twenty year old game.  Perhaps a greater presence on social media, and some form of amateur hour before races might help?

3. Yes.

4. The generous token problem is with all the championships, however the 66s suffer most.

6. As its the fifty year anniversary for the 69s will we run the classic 69 championship?

7. Yes.

8. When you have a grid of mixed ability it is difficult to race circuits like Syracuse?  While the 1955 series should have appropriate circuits, it doesn't seem necessary to force the sixties chassis onto them?  Jarama and Bugatti aren't raced enough considering they are genuine 1967 F1 tracks.  Otherwise the new Interlagos circuit could be tried out.  Though Spa is preferred, Zolder isn't a bad circuit if Spa were to be omitted for some reason.   
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 10:17:08 PM +0100 »

There is no holidays in UK on August ?  Cool
8 weeks break in summer, and season starting on 28/07 means a break from 10 June to 27 July. I would prefer from 5 July to end of August ...
Good point David. I appreciate the school holidays in most countries are in July and August so it would be a good idea to have the UKGPL summer break in that period. The only problem with that proposal is that to fit 2 seasons in one calendar year we would have to run 3 of the "Season 35" races immediately after the last "Season 34" race. Otherwise the "Season 35" races would not finish on Tuesday 10/12/2019.

I don't really have a problem with that because I think I can run a registration thread for "Season 35" at the same time "Season 34" is running. But how would the drivers feel about moving straight from "Season 34" to "Season 35" without a break? Albeit there would be an 8 week break just 3 weeks into "Season 35".
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 07:04:51 AM +0100 »

As you say Phil, an interesting issue. One idea would be an extending the season over the whole calendar year & running 20 races. We can split the breaks over Easter, August holidays & Christmas. No so different from real Formula 1. It will reduce  the work on moderators by only having to set up a season once a year & we cut out the debate about when to start the new season. I guess the downside is the championship get decided half way through.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
AnGex

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 02:08:58 PM +0100 »

1. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. 69x 67x 66
7. Yes
8. Bathurst, Charade, Daytona Road Course, Interlagos, Jerez, Kyalami, Laguna Seca, Nordschleife , Road 67
9. Yes
10. All in all I am satisfied! Smiley

Get up, stand up: stand up for your right!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 06:53:18 PM +0100 »

One idea would be an extending the season over the whole calendar year & running 20 races. We can split the breaks over Easter, August holidays & Christmas.
Another would be to have a 10 race season between Sunday 13th Jan 2019 and Tuesday 11th Jun 2019, a 3 month summer break and a shorter 7 race season between 8th Sep 2019 and Tuesday 10th Dec 2019. We could run fun races and the Joe Shaw memorial series in the summer break.

Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 07:14:04 PM +0100 »

A twenty race season is different from late sixties Formula One, which had twelve races in classic format, though this was only run once as the Spanish GP was not official in 1967 and Spa was cancelled in 1969.  If there is an anniversary 1969 series, will Spa be cancelled?

Three months is too long a break, with a 13-7 split in racing fortnights, another alternative might be to have the autumn series run every week- so the spring series would be four mods and twelve races and the autumn series two mods and twelve races?  This is seventy-two races instead of eighty, how about a non-championship cup race at the end of every series, with tokens allocated based on the championship result?
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 12:32:40 PM +0100 »

Three months is too long a break..
It doesn't need to be a complete break. We could use the summer break to fit in a few mini series of underused car sets (e.g. a 3 race CanAm series) and the Joe Shaw Memorial races.

another alternative might be to have the autumn series run every week- so the spring series would be four mods and twelve races and the autumn series two mods and twelve races?
Interesting suggestion. The only potential problem would be only having a week between races but providing we retain the token system and don't go back to a system of car allocation based on Championship position that would be OK.
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 06:08:37 PM +0100 »

While it might be difficult to have a cup competition based on allocation straight after the last race, you could start a series or season with the cup competitions from the previous series or season, which would allow the moderators the entire break to set it up.

A one-race cup competition would provide an opportunity for slower drivers without burdening faster drivers with a slow chassis all season.  If we run separate series on the same grid you'll have a return of the situation where a lonely amateur just turns up and makes it past halfway to win a race.

Pepe Higdon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 04:17:42 AM +0100 »

I was unable to compete in most of the last season, but what concerned me more than anything else was pitting my modest talents against those drivers in the Works category. I found that it was not nearly as frightening as I'd imagined and would be pleased to be invited back again for whatever kind of series or format the administrators eventually choose.
bagrupp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 10:04:46 AM +0100 »

1.    Has the token system worked well with all car sets?
> i guess so
2.    Should “Amateur” drivers get extra tokens?
> puuh, unsure.
3.    Should all races be “Pro” rules?
> no, its too hard
4.    Has the mixture of 2L and 3L classes worked well in the 66F1 series?
> for me yes
5.    Was having the available tokens listed in the race announcement helpful?
> yes
6.    What car sets do you want to see in Season 34?
> i like the wingless open wheelers most
7.    Do you like the rule that drivers must complete 50% of the race to score?
> yes thats good
8.    What tracks would you like to see in Season 34?
> stable ones !
9.    Do you like the combined championship tables as in the 1967 F1 where there was a combined table and separate tables for the Works and privateers?
> its ok
10.   Are the rules, penalty guidelines and etiquette recommendations fit for purpose or are there any areas that need revising?
> all in all, very consistent, reliable and transparent
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com