The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

March 29, 2024, 01:13:38 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Noobie in RRE  (Read 545 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2018, 09:12:20 PM +0000 »

I was looking through your races here at RRE and noticed the DTM series and thought .............hmmmmmmm  Roll Eyes

So... I downloaded the free version from Steam to see what it was all about.

I did eventually get the demo to run and tried a short race, but I had unbelievable problems registering an identity etc because my mouse just would not function correctly in RRE?? Is this a known issue? or is there some sort of glitch at my end??

The cursor was invisible for 50% of the time and whenever it re appeared it was back at the top right of the screen and it would vanish again before I could move it to where I wanted it!!!  I almost gave up and deleted the whole damned thing.
As things stand I would never be able to join an on-line race even if I bought into the extra content, because the mouse is so random I could never click the relevant buttons in time.

Does anyone have any advice for a computer numpty Huh?

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 09:31:43 PM +0000 »

Try here Clive

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?posts/149904/
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 10:48:07 PM +0000 »

Looks like a possible fix, I have had no mousey issues on either of my Gaming machines, they are both Win7 though
never tried Win10

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 08:31:46 AM +0000 »

Thanks guys. I will try the "official" solution later and report back.

Don't expect to see me on the server any time soon, because based upon my limited try out so far, these modern cars have so much more grip than I am used to. I might need to get my head around tyres that actually work, unlike GPL or the older cars in GTL.

Rank   Only when I sweat
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 09:46:14 AM +0000 »

Not sure that 1992 DTM cars are all that "modern" The GT3s perhaps, Stephen's aussie series cars are a real handful
and the DTM1995 Merc series I run are very loose, and are also easy to drive, but not easy to drive really fast.
The M1 procars are, well, M1 procars, and have their own little pecadillos....

Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 11:07:07 AM +0000 »

I know what Clive means, initially I was braking too much for the corners with these more modern cars, even last night with the BMW M3 it took several laps practice before I was used to how fast it would take corners. So far I haven't strayed too far from default setups and to be honest I can't really feel much difference when I do change something. If you get the mouse sorted Clive take the plunge & join in on Thursdays, it is the best way to learn I find. Even the GT3s on Sundays are good fun.

Oh the Aussie V8s Matt refers to are in AC, not RRE!  no
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 11:28:58 AM +0000 »

Oh yeh... it's all a mash up to my addled brain these days  Roll Eyes
Setups make a big difference to me, for the Gr5 cars I have to change stuff or I fall off
every lap. The milder DTM92 cars not so much.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 11:31:24 AM +0000 by phspok » Logged

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 03:49:22 PM +0000 »

RRE has had several mouse problems for me. If I run it on my 4K monitor the mouse started big but would change to a normally scaled one, so stupidly small. I'd 'lose' it then but it hadn't disappeared, it was just difficult to find. Once found I found moving it slowly was ok.

The other mouse problem I had was the the mouse would disappear over the OK button used to exit the game. I used to have to use ALT-F4 to shut it down. This seems to have gone away either with a GFX driver upgrade or game update.

I still have a flashing problem over the password dialog, I can see the left half but not the right. Not a problem but certainly a tad annoying.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 01:17:30 PM +0000 »

I have tried the mouse solutions suggested and although it seems better, it is not right, maybe I am just getting used to it??  Undecided I might have to delve deeper  Undecided

I tried the Aquila Leaderboard challenge just to see how different these new fangled cars are and how RRE works on track. It took a few laps and many mistakes to get the feel of the car with so much grip, but eventually I found the groove and claimed   1st place...not sure that I will stay there for long  Roll Eyes.
So then I tried the other free content which were saloons on the Stowe circuit, which I thought might be more fun. OK, so I won the 2 races I tried against the AI, but I was frustrated as hell with the car going into "limp mode" at a couple points on the track??!! Just when I want to give the car full gas it just goes dead for a couple of seconds?? It feel like about 2 days before things pick up again! So I tried a race at Portamou (?) in the Aquila's and the same thing was happening at a couple of points on the track, almost like auto pilot? but zero power or control other than steering.

I looked at various options within the controls area and I am running at "get real" level so I wonder if any of you have an answer. Incidentally I have no probs on the leaderboard challenge, just if I try to run a race??

Rank   Only when I sweat
frex

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 01:26:46 PM +0000 »

but I was frustrated as hell with the car going into "limp mode" at a couple points on the track??!! Just when I want to give the car full gas it just goes dead for a couple of seconds??

Yeah, that's the dreaded (and stupid imho) cut track penalty kicking in - cut too many corners (or make one massive cut) and you have to slow down to give back time, or the game will cut engine power for you.. Yeah, how realistic in a race-sim, especially as the warning will often kick in when you've gone off track and already lost time. Only applies in races, and we often run races with it turned off.
frex

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 01:28:28 PM +0000 »

Oh and now is a good time to be setting leader-board times - all the boards were cleared a few days ago after a big physics update!
frex

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 03:23:32 PM +0000 »

Also Clive, if you're just trying out the free content at the moment I would suggest trying the Formula Junior single seater. That was originally paid content, but has just been made free for a limited trial period. It's a lot of fun imho, especially with manual H-shifter.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 03:28:43 PM +0000 »

but I was frustrated as hell with the car going into "limp mode" at a couple points on the track??!! Just when I want to give the car full gas it just goes dead for a couple of seconds??

Yeah, that's the dreaded (and stupid imho) cut track penalty kicking in - cut too many corners (or make one massive cut) and you have to slow down to give back time, or the game will cut engine power for you.. Yeah, how realistic in a race-sim, especially as the warning will often kick in when you've gone off track and already lost time. Only applies in races, and we often run races with it turned off.

Aha!!! so it is a cut corner penalty  Undecided it does seem a little draconian and harsh when you are trying to "race".

Is there any consistency about what constitutes a "cut"? Two wheels still on the tarmac seems to be the usual acceptable in most other sims. Or, does getting two wheels onto the rumble kerb get you a penalty? also running wide appears to penalise me as well.
At least now I know and can adjust my lines....just a little lol.
Thanks Frex
The only problem with joining in with you guys is the fact that you race on Thursday evenings. The one evening when I try to keep this finely honed body of a racing slug "race fit", by playing badminton.  Undecided

Rank   Only when I sweat
frex

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 03:56:38 PM +0000 »

Is there any consistency about what constitutes a "cut"? Two wheels still on the tarmac seems to be the usual acceptable in most other sims. Or, does getting two wheels onto the rumble kerb get you a penalty? also running wide appears to penalise me as well.

Yes, similar to other sims - two wheels on the track, two on the rumble strip should be fine, although there are some variations - some corners seem overly harsh while others seem to allow you to make quite a large cut without penalty. And yeah, go wide and the penalty will often kick in as well, which (most of the time) is just silly..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com