The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

March 28, 2024, 11:24:58 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • A Nürburgring: November 28, 2018
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: UKAC - Nürburgring 1990's DTM - Fun race - Nov 28  (Read 1892 times)
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 01:16:48 PM +0000 »

Sure i have asked this before, but where does it explain what effect the air restrictors do?  is it as simple as 10% reduces 10bhp or suchlike?

Tonight i will jump on the server and try out the 3 stock DTM cars a bit more to get some times up. Could do with some more drivers putting times in.

Baikal

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 01:28:35 PM +0000 »

Sure i have asked this before, but where does it explain what effect the air restrictors do?  is it as simple as 10% reduces 10bhp or suchlike?

Tonight i will jump on the server and try out the 3 stock DTM cars a bit more to get some times up. Could do with some more drivers putting times in.
From server manual:
RESTRICTOR=0      ; from 0 to 100, cuts the car's engine power. 100=100% restrictor plate. It limits power in the top range of the power band, will not kill total power. Effective handicap depends on car and track, experimentation needed. Advantage over BALLAST is that it does not affect handling. 0=no restrictor plate, maintains original power.
 Smiley

SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2018, 01:37:47 PM +0000 »

Percentage is not equal to bhp. It required lots of trial and error.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2018, 02:19:13 PM +0000 »

To test, i guess you just need one car on a track with a long straight (paul Ricard, Monza, Le Mans) and see what effect it has on the highest speed or better still, speed achievable in each gear.  Smiley 

To test the effect over a whole lap needs someone who can do consistent laptimes too, but really a single long straight from a standing start would tell you the effect each 10% makes to the car.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2018, 02:42:02 PM +0000 »

I was on the server last night with some other drivers. I had the Merc and they were in the Fords.
Currently performance is believable - I destroyed them into and out of corners and off the line.
On the big straights the Merc already can't keep up with the extra power from the turbo lump in the Ford.
This is exactly how turbo Vs Na always plays out so I wouldn't look to artificially match acceleration/top speed as the chassis has a much bigger role in lap speed.
And if you look at Jeffreys times you'll note the Merc is slower than the Ford and Bimmer anyway.  Tongue
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2018, 02:51:28 PM +0000 »

To test, i guess you just need one car on a track with a long straight (paul Ricard, Monza, Le Mans) and see what effect it has on the highest speed or better still, speed achievable in each gear.  Smiley 

To test the effect over a whole lap needs someone who can do consistent laptimes too, but really a single long straight from a standing start would tell you the effect each 10% makes to the car.

There are drag strips in AC. The Alfa seems the slowest on the straights, which could make that car a nightmare in the race.

I'm going to try the Merc a bit more, as I didn't get on well with that car, but FMG showed it can go faster than what I achieved.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2018, 03:14:26 PM +0000 »

That'll be the extra 90kg the Alfa is lumping along i expect. Thats why i prefer the air restrictor route to a heavy ballast penalty.
Ballast will not only affect the cars dynamics it also means your tyres will wear out quicker than the other cars. (though not so much an issue for these 2x20 tests).

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2018, 03:30:55 PM +0000 »

Some 90's DTM car info:-  Smiley

http://touringcarracing.net/Pages/1990%20Cars.html

Apparently in RL, the Alfa came along to DTM after the Merc, BMW and RS500 and in its first season wiped the floor over Mercedes (which in turn had soundly beaten the BMWs in the years before). So now we know where the natural pecking order came from that Kunos adopted. Tongue

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 04:24:15 PM +0000 »

Was able to improve my times on the Merc and Alfa, but they are still the slowest for me. Right now my suggested ballast would be:

RS500 atleast 50kg
Merc and BMW no ballast
Alfa, no ballast or a very small amount (20kg).

Also uploaded a setup for each car on stracker.
KDiesel

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2018, 06:16:41 PM +0000 »

All cars have pros & cons and it's hard to make 'em totally equal for every track. These are my thougts from each car very shortly, Alfa: Best car from offline and good in slow corners, not so good in top speed, BMW: good all arounder, best brakes. Ford: best top speed, awfull @ brakes and slow corners. MB:  very stable, okeish every where ( not much exprience tho). Just leave cars alone and put different type tracks there...I´m affaraid that now car seems to be equal @ this track but not very equal in next ones.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2018, 08:30:48 PM +0000 »

after running more laps in 3 of the 4 cars I think I am going to make an adjustment based on all the times set so far.

The Alfa will have +30kg
The Merc +10kg
RS500 +25kg
BMW 0kg

I ran the Alfa offline straight after using our online fat version and I was 1 sec quicker straight away and about 14mph faster down the straights. So it still needs some ballast.
I tried a couple of drag races  Alfa v Merc and the Alfa won every time. Ran out of time to test anything else. Annoying the drag race option doesn't allow you to add ballast or air restriction in game.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2018, 08:31:47 PM +0000 »

Hi Pete,

if you spot this, could you change the ballast settings for the DTM server to these:-

The Alfa will have +30kg
The Merc +10kg
RS500 +25kg
BMW 0kg

ta   Smiley
MJ

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2018, 08:52:51 PM +0000 »

And please reset stracker on the Alfa, Ford and Merc Wink.
Baikal

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2018, 10:48:24 PM +0000 »

I feel like a boss when driving at Ford Sierra. Gimme one more  punk
Other (kunos) cars are like a  hang for me  Wink  Grin

SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 08:19:36 AM +0000 »

The Alfa will have +30kg
The Merc +10kg
RS500 +25kg
BMW 0kg
Now on the server.

And please reset stracker on the Alfa, Ford and Merc Wink.
Done this too

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com