The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 06:41:12 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • A Silverstone: December 19, 2018
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: UKAC - Silverstone GP Legends - Dec 19  (Read 2304 times)
Fabri Fibra

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2018, 02:01:59 PM +0000 »

Yes, Eagle is fast and easy, Lotus fast and hard.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2018, 03:49:22 PM +0000 »

I was wondering if a series could be run whereby you all start in the slowest cars and win a seat in a quicker car by results  Undecided That would have a vintage real world feel to it, earning a ride in a faster team by winning or finishing on the podium or accumulating several good results, ie top 6 for instance. I know that probably means the fastest guys will rise quickly to the best cars but thats true to life anyway, and they still have to get that result from a slower car initially.

Nobody commented on this, no thoughts from anyone ?   boat

Had a damn power cut and a water leak today so not been able to get any laps done  Angry still no power after 5 hours  Roll Eyes

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2018, 04:12:47 PM +0000 »

It can be lonely enough at the mid to back of the field as it is. If you do well and get rewarded with quicker car all you'll do in ensure the gaps are bigger and no one gets anyone else to race. Not a good idea in my book unless I've misunderstood what you're proposing.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2018, 04:43:27 PM +0000 »

I think for that to work and to get decent sized grids you'll have to pay us Mark Wink
As picnic says, for midfield and back drivers what is the incentive to race?

As it's GPL I'll be up there fighting with Fulvio and Manteos (and Jeff if he decides to join us) for a go in a lotus.
But, here, as in GPL, I drive to race. If im in an Eagle or a Lotus then I'll only have Manteos or Fabri to race against.
If I'm in a Honda or a BRM, then provided slower drivers pick from the faster cars I'll actually have more people to race - even if this means I can't expect to win a championship anymore I do nonetheless enjoy it more because I have to work like crazy just to make the podium.

I don't think your suggestion would encourage decent grids throughout a season I'm afraid. Deffinately not from people who don't have a massive interest in these cars.
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2018, 04:51:58 PM +0000 »

Nobody commented on this, no thoughts from anyone ?   boat

Had a damn power cut and a water leak today so not been able to get any laps done  Angry still no power after 5 hours  Roll Eyes

I didn't replay because I thought it was the worst idea ever  Wink Tongue. It will make the first race a cup race with everybody in the same car and after that the field will just get stretched.
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2018, 09:51:16 PM +0000 »

Oh well was just a thought, maybe it might have worked better if only the quicker guys started with the slow cars and earnt their better ride  Undecided

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2018, 10:35:36 PM +0000 »

You've not looked at the timings lately then?  Tongue

Somehow I'm faster in the Hondola than in the Ferrari! Shocked
Manteos

P&G Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2018, 10:50:17 PM +0000 »

I got checksum error when trying to join the server with Brabham BT24 now Huh

"The second principle: Take every gain without showing remorse about missed profits, because an eel may escape sooner than you think."
Joseph Penso De La Vega. Confusio de Confusiones (1688)
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2018, 07:13:08 AM +0000 »

Are you sure you're running v2.15 of the mod? Fabri has reported the Brabham as working.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:29 PM +0000 »

Aside from the 33 that's everything now. I'm not sure what's going on with the sector 1 time for the Mclaren, I'm fairly confidant the actual laptime is correct as it agrees with my pb on my own pc - also the graph looks fairly normal and believable.

Matteo, Fabri: what are you guys planning to drive?
I'm guessing Cooper again for Fabri?
How about you Matteo? I'm thinking I'll probably have to take the Ferrari for a close fight - I've got the Honda working too well - I think you are a similar pace in the Mclaren?

Anyway, looking forward to weds now  Grin
Manteos

P&G Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2018, 01:17:15 AM +0000 »

Are you sure you're running v2.15 of the mod? Fabri has reported the Brabham as working.

I'm sure of it, and I've joined the server on a Brabahm 2 or 3 days before. However I downloaded again the mod from the link in the first post, and installed it again. Hope that car won't cause issue the day of the race.

About my car choice, I didn't try too much the Mclaren Fmg, but seems the one that could match better your and Fabri's laptimes, if he's going to choose the Cooper again. I'm just doubtful I'll have some more time to try that car again before the race. And I'm even more doubtful to be on time for the race, but I'll do everything I can to take part in it. I Promise  Wink

"The second principle: Take every gain without showing remorse about missed profits, because an eel may escape sooner than you think."
Joseph Penso De La Vega. Confusio de Confusiones (1688)
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2018, 08:52:50 AM +0000 »

i've only managed a single half hour practise session since last week  Sad been plagued by lengthy power cuts all weekend and last night/this morning  Angry so i am probably only 50:50 to make the race at this rate  Cry  I am also out all eve tonight so no more chance of practise until the race. How annoying  taz

I will be in the Mclaren if i can race.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2018, 11:10:52 AM +0000 »

Aside from the 33 that's everything now. I'm not sure what's going on with the sector 1 time for the Mclaren, I'm fairly confidant the actual laptime is correct as it agrees with my pb on my own pc - also the graph looks fairly normal and believable.

Matteo, Fabri: what are you guys planning to drive?
I'm guessing Cooper again for Fabri?
How about you Matteo? I'm thinking I'll probably have to take the Ferrari for a close fight - I've got the Honda working too well - I think you are a similar pace in the Mclaren?

Anyway, looking forward to weds now  Grin

You front guys should be running Matras to give the rest of us a chance to keep up Grin though its probably healthier for all if the front few break away from the pack and have their own battle  Wink
I thought the Honda is supposed to be slower than a Ferrari?

I assumed the natural pecking order was:-
Lotus 49
Eagle
Ferrari
Cooper
Mclaren

with BRM/Brabham/Honda etc all fairly similar midfield then Matra and L33 bringing up the rear?

Baikal

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2018, 11:26:24 AM +0000 »

Hope i'll learn one turn better tomorrow and join in Eagle in race  Smiley

SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2018, 02:48:54 PM +0000 »

You front guys should be running Matras to give the rest of us a chance to keep up Grin though its probably healthier for all if the front few break away from the pack and have their own battle  Wink
I thought the Honda is supposed to be slower than a Ferrari?

I assumed the natural pecking order was:-
Lotus 49
Eagle
Ferrari
Cooper
Mclaren

with BRM/Brabham/Honda etc all fairly similar midfield then Matra and L33 bringing up the rear?

It's highly track dependant, but I wouldn't expect the Honda to be this strong at Silverstone in GPL.
I must have just nailed the setup through luck.

Speedwise it depends on whether you're talking GPL or real life.
GPL is nearly always as follows:
Lotus
Ferrari/Eagle
Brabham
Cooper
Honda
BRM

On very fast circuits expect the Eagle to gain an advantage,  on very slow tracks it's often between the Lotus and Brabham.
The Honda and BRM always suck as they made their engines from Uranium (the BRM is also very unreliable) while everyone else used ultra light aluminium.

In real life the tracks had a bigger effect.
Very fast circuits favoured the Fez, Eagle, Honda and BRM although reliability generally meant the Brabhams won if the Lotus couldn't Wink
The Cooper had a great chassis but a 10 year old Masserati V12 which couldn't really compete with anything other than the Repco lump.

While the Lotus should be strong favourite, the 49 was too new to be reliable - it was also only rolled out in June. So most races were driven in the 43 before then. Which used the same bonkers and heavy H16 as the P83/115, hence the 33 being used at Monaco.
The Ferrari's had similar reliability issues and weren't meant to be too great to drive.

Essentially anything that wasn't a Brabham needed nursing to the end of most races, Jack won the season thanks to reliability over pace, for 69 Brabham would ditch the Repco for the Dfv, as there was nothing left to coax out of it..

The Mclaren was an also ran in 67, they only made one car and we're still learning what was needed a F1 level.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com