by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

March 19, 2024, 07:44:22 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L19KAD Thruxton: May 22, 2019
May 22, 2019, 08:31:35 PM +0100 - Thruxton - UKGTL Season 19 K.A.D. Cup
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#39) GTC-TC-76 1 1:23.852
99.664mph
1 25:40.975
97.618mph
18 1:24.752
98.606mph
Avon  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#113) GTC-TC-76 6 +1.847
97.516mph
2 +31.322
95.673mph
18 1:25.914
97.272mph
Avon  
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#0) GTC-TC-76 3 +1.390
98.039mph
3 +31.811
95.643mph
18 1:25.552
97.683mph
Avon  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#0) GTC-TC-76 5 +1.773
97.600mph
4 +1L
89.742mph
17 1:25.304
97.967mph
Avon  
S.Cargo

Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#3) GTC-TC-76 4 +1.660
97.729mph
5 +0L
94.946mph
18 1:25.790
97.412mph
Avon  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#0) GTC-TC-76 11 +9.144
89.864mph
6 +0.443
94.920mph
18 1:26.344
96.787mph
Avon  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#115) GTC-TC-76 8 +2.749
96.500mph
7 +5.841
94.597mph
18 1:26.398
96.727mph
Avon  
Bob M.
  OLD SCHOOL RACING TEAM
Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#55) GTC-TC-76 7 +2.434
96.853mph
8 +17.308
93.920mph
18 1:26.987
96.072mph
Avon  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#4) GTC-TC-76 10 +6.035
92.972mph
9 +21.075
93.700mph
18 1:27.475
95.536mph
Avon  
Dominick

Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#113) GTC-TC-76 2 +1.218
98.237mph
10 +10L 8 1:25.992
97.184mph
unknown
Avon  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Austin Mini Cooper S KAD Works (#15) GTC-TC-76 9 +3.867
95.270mph
11 +17L 1 ---
---
suspension
Avon  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 19 K.A.D. Cup - Thruxton - May 22  (Read 1709 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2018, 04:46:28 PM +0000 »

Championship Standings here

Grid/server capacity: 22

RACE ONE

Practice/car change: ~19:20 (60 mins)
Qualifying: 20:20 (10 mins)
Race: 20:30 (18 laps)

Track: Thruxton Download this

Cars allowed: KAD Mini Cooper S Download this Excluding Car #'s 6, 9, 40, 58 & 80
                       Additional skins Download this

Time of Day Setting: 14:00
Start: STANDING
Tyre wear: Normal
Fuel consumption: Normal
Pit stops: Not required

Server: simracing.org WEDNESDAY
Password: see above

Notes:
(1) It's best if all drivers can make sure they are connected before the Qualifying session as drivers on track during qualifying will not see cars that join after they are on track until they go back to the garage.
(2) Please make sure you are fully aware of the SimRacing.org.uk Rules.
(3) The AI control should be turned off so that you have control of the car at all times, including pitting. Your player file should therefore read
Autopit="0"
Force Autopit Off="1" // Forces autopit always off
No AI Control="1" // AI never has control over car
If you still finding pitting problematic, experience tells us that its less to do with positioning and more to do with approach speed. A slow approach to pit crew chief has proved most reliable.

Special Notes: None.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:38:50 PM +0000 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 10:26:59 AM +0100 »

Amuse Bouche  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo1g3WaK7w0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:32:03 AM +0100 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 11:29:54 AM +0100 »

OK, so it is no big secret that I find Minis, of any description, a challenge to drive in GTL. 

So, after getting disco'd from a GPL race last night I thought that as I was already sat at my PC, I would test the Thruxton/KAD Mini server in preparation for Wed's race.
The first 10 attempts at a lap barely passed T3 without swapping ends, clipping kerbs and rolling over or exploring the countryside. Various changes to my approach and tweaks to the setup to try and get control of the little beast gradually improved things, to the point where I was beginning to feel that maybe I was on the right wavelength for the majority of the lap.

Except....... At the end of the long straight as I approach the chicane section over the crest of that small incline and the first semi right hander ( at what I consider to be racing speeds ) the car becomes uncontrollable as I apply the brakes Huh?? with 75% front bias on brake setup.

If I apply the brakes early and whilst still "on the straight" it feels like either the wheels are octagonal, or the road surface is like a washboard, and the car hops about becoming uncontrollable. If I manage to wrestle with the thing and avoid diving off the track, I will miss the first apex by a mile and then I am travelling too fast to allow the car to transition through the right-left-right of the chicane.
 If I try and brake a little later ( keeping some 25%~ power on to avoid locking wheels ) I might make the first semi right hander and just about get the nose of the car around the first element of the R-L-R, but 90% of the time the rear end refuses to stay where it is supposed to be and the car tries to take a shortcut into the pits by missing out the chicane entirely ??!!!! It is as if the rear tyres are on ice and simply pendulum around.

The only way that I can find to get through this section is to be really ( and I mean REALLY ) slow and in tonight's race I would be a definite hazard to anyone who might be behind me.....not that I expect many cars to be slower than me!!. But if I am being lapped the speed difference might be a serious problem for the faster guys.

I have tried various changes to brake balance 65%-90%, altered the rear roll bar settings, changed front and rear dampers but nothing seems to have any noticeable effect  Undecided
 I cannot believe that this section needs to be driven as slowly as my attempts appear to show, and I am convinced that although my driving might require some changes, it has to be a setup related issue as regards the "washboard" effect??? If I could get the car to retard smoothly on the straight section, then I could probably attack the chicane with some confidence.
Is anyone inclined to offer any advice???

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!

Rank   Only when I sweat
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:53:10 AM +0100 »

I find that really smooth braking on the far left of the straight, before beginning an easy turn in to the chicane, works best.

Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 12:51:15 PM +0100 »

You are not alone in having problems on the approach to the chicane Clive, that confounded big bump is just where you need to be braking & completely upsets the car just when you need it to be settled. As you say the only semi reliable way is to take it slower & I have to brake far earlier than seems necessary to reliably make the first apex without the car going out of control. Don't know why the track maker decided to put a big bump there, I'm sure the real track does not have such an extreme bump there.

The other place which can catch you out is Church, where it is easy to take too much kerb & roll the car. Could be a lot of carnage tonight methinks. Shocked
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 01:35:14 PM +0100 »

Thanks for the feed back guys.

It is of some comfort to know that others are finding it tricky at the chicane, but when Geoffers says that he is braking "early" that is probably still 100 mtrs after I throw out the anchors in an attempt to join the last of the late brakers club:-\.  

Tony's advice about taking the far left hand side is something that I also tried, hoping to find a smooth piece of tarmac that would not upset the car. I sort of worked out that would be a good plan during qualifying, but at Thruxton the approach to the chicane is just about the only real passing place, so odds are that if ( big IF! ) I am at all competitive and hope to make a pass, then that nice piece of track will be occupied by another car lol......unless of course I am the intended victim  Roll Eyes
Either way, I foresee my Mini severly testing all of the barriers around the chicane over the course of the 2 races.  Grin

Now I am going to walk the dog in the afternoon sunshine...........and contemplate.  Wink

BTW plans are afoot for a visit to Thruxton and a drive in their single seaters as part of Andy Livingston and myself doing our Grand Tour of UK race tracks. So maybe I will find out if there really is a big bump on the approach to the chicane.........and if there is, perhaps Thruxton will be minus one single seater???

Rank   Only when I sweat
S.Cargo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 04:19:57 PM +0100 »

not that I expect many cars to be slower than me!!.
But if I am being lapped the speed difference might be a serious problem for the faster guys.
I should be around, so there will be at least one car slower than you  Grin
and I am also a bit worried about being lapped.
For that last point Tony's video made me realize that depending where on the track it happens it can be quite tricky... We'll see.
With its bumpiness this track makes me happy that I do not own a motion simulator rig !  Grin
SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 05:46:09 PM +0100 »

A tricky track indeed - not one of my favorites  Tongue

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 06:12:21 PM +0100 »

BTW plans are afoot for a visit to Thruxton and a drive in their single seaters as part of Andy Livingston and myself doing our Grand Tour of UK race tracks. So maybe I will find out if there really is a big bump on the approach to the chicane.........and if there is, perhaps Thruxton will be minus one single seater???
I'd like to join you if possible?

Dominick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 06:57:21 PM +0100 »

Wish I could help you guys but I'm rather struggling with the two fast crested right handers and the only advice for the chicane approach I have so far is: Don't sneeze just there....
Also: power surge protector issue permanently solved: Yay.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 10:09:44 PM +0100 »

Results and replay now posted.

S.Cargo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 10:23:52 PM +0100 »

What a racing evening!  eek  Cheesy
As I struggled with the car and the track when preparing for the races I did not expect much (apart from being lapped).  Embarrassed

So I was really surprised to be on P4 in race 1.
My start was not too bad (even if I am more used to end of grid start) until my screen froze and turned black right after T1 !  cursing
I tried then to move to the grass to avoid creating chaos (not sure how successful I was).
After that I tried my best at keeping a decent pace, knowing that there would probably be some "events" on track. And I must admit that I was lucky enough to take advantage of a few incidents and the final result was more than satisfactory.
Not sure what happened when I saw Clive literally take-off on the S/F line at the end of the race, nice aerial acrobatics anyway.

Race 2 went even better.
P2 on the grid (thanks to the non-qualifiers  Wink ) and no freeze at the start.
Of course I was no match for Fulvio, Clive & Geoffers, but I managed to come back to this group when they were fighting against each other. This fight was quite entertaining at some point.
Then I managed to pass Fulvio and a moment later I had a hard time keeping it on the tarmac, which caused Fulvio to spin (and relieved some pressure). Again I benefited from the fight between Geoffers & Clive, to finish a surprising (and surprised!) second.  Cheesy

Now all this does not come from nowhere: actually I carefully selected my car livery: it states "RAPID" on its license plate... and it is !  punk (I probably also had a decent setup)
Anyway I'd have to get the one that reads something like "Rocket Powered" to be remotely competitive with Geoffers... What a show once again! Bravo Monsieur !  thumbup2
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 09:19:37 AM +0100 »

Grats to the podium finishers in both races, I had suspected that Geoffers would be the class of the field and so it proved.

My comments and questions, pre race helped my problems with the chicane section, but did not entirely solve my issues in that area. I think that maybe that I got that sequence szomewhere near right for about 25% of all laps  Undecided
I have to confess that the two races in the KAD Mini were approaching, but not quite, enjoyment. For some reason my brain and muscle memory simply does not gel with these front wheel drive boxes and as a result each race is extremely hard work. I can never get the handling quite as I would like it, so I am fighting the car for the whole race, especially trying to hit the correct lines which tends to be a little random and inaccurate.
I think Geoffers had an up close and personal view of my erratic progress in race 2 when he was trying to stay ahead of him.
 I honestly was not trying to block your progress Geoff, I was simply at ( and often beyond ) my ability, which was why my yellow peril was all over the track at times ( other reasons excuses are explained below   Wink ). The slightly unpredicatble handling and steering caused a couple of spectacular rolls when I got too close to kerbs and flipped the car. The incident at the start of the final lap in race 2 was particularly annoying as I might have made the podium  Undecided

I'm glad that someone else noticed my acrobatic finishes in both races..... ( currently under review by the stewards  Roll Eyes)

Early enquiries appear to show that Mable and Arnold may have had some input.
Without asking for my opinion, Mabel had suggested that we have our own champagne celebration regardless of finishing position and Arnold took it one step further by engineering an automatic uncorker for two Jereboams that he secretly mounted in the boot.
That extra weight is quite obviously the reason why my car handled so badly and I failed to win either race. What the stupid pair failed to appreciate
( twice!!!) was that two Jereboams of bubbly mounted in the boot of a Mini for 18 laps, riding over kerbs ( rolling over )  and multiple bumps and lumps on the road does nothing for the stability of the contents.

When Arnolds ingenious uncorker, which utilised elastic and metal clips from one Mabel's old bras, removed the corks as I crossed the S/F line the thrust generated from the pair of bottles could have produced one of two possible results. Either, my yellow Mini would have accelerated to a rocket powered Mach 2 and soared over Stonehenge (just a mile or two away) like a UFO, or as did happen at the end of both races, the downward thrust sent the car into a series of flips and twists more akin to a gymnastic floor exercise.
My head is still spinning from the experience and until I feel better further enquiries are on hold. But fear not, someone will pay for this!!!.... and that wasted champagne!!

Rank   Only when I sweat
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 05:55:47 PM +0100 »

Still wasn't too happy with the car when I joined the server & a few practice laps showed it to still be very difficult to get into the chicane. So I tweaked the setup some more, increased rear toe-in to 1° and put the brake bias fully to the front to try to stop the rear overtaking the front. It seemed to work & I went nearly a second quicker in qually than I had achieved before.

1st race, not much to say really other than where were you all.  laugh

Race 2 was much more like it, start wasn't too good this time & nearly got sandwiched by Bob & Kurt (I think) in T1, luckily they didn't close the door & I squeezed between them. Rest of lap 1 was a case of being in the right place at the right time & approaching the chicane I was already up to 3rd place Shocked. Lap 2 I ran wide onto the grass at Village & lost a place to SC, took a couple of laps to find a way back past & set off after Fulvio & Clive. Caught them after a couple more laps & when Clive found an opening to get past Fulvio I more or less followed him through. However getting past the evil one was much more tricky, got alongside a couple of times but I'm sure he had Arnold fit extra wide wheels to the Mini as there always seemed to be not enough room to complete the pass. Eventually Clive was a bit slow through the Chicane & I had to jump the kerb on the last part to avoid rear-ending him which also had the added benefit  of getting me into Allard in the lead. Clive then had a tumble at the Chicane next lap leaving me with a comfortable lead over SC.

Congrats to Matt & Erling & SCargo & Fulvio on their podiums.  clap clap clap clap
SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 06:09:57 PM +0100 »

Result_Race 1 - created with Autosimanalyzer V1.69

Cool

Not much to say about both races. Simply not my track.
After the start of R1 I could not avoid S_Cargo and damaged my suspension which eventually led to my early exit.

R2 was a little bit better but also a very short one. All in all the slowest driver in the field.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 06:16:16 PM +0100 by SpecialKS » Logged

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com