by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 10:12:04 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L19EGTC Targa Florio: May 01, 2019
May 01, 2019, 08:40:34 PM +0100 - Targa Florio - UKGTL Season 19 European GTC Cup
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Mercedes 300SL (#234) GTC-65 1 39:11.381
68.351mph
1 39:11.381
68.351mph
Dunlop  
Dominick

Mercedes 300SL (#268) GTC-65 2 +1:54.883
65.167mph
1 41:06.264
65.167mph
Dunlop  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Austin-Healey 3000 (#473) GTC-65 3 +2:20.438
64.498mph
1 41:31.819
64.498mph
Dunlop  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Mercedes 300SL (#225) GTC-65 4 +1L 0 ---
---
unknown
Dunlop  
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Austin-Healey 3000 (#450) GTC-65 5 0 ---
---
suspension
Dunlop  
Bob M.
  OLD SCHOOL RACING TEAM
Austin-Healey 3000 (#453) GTC-65 6 0 ---
---
unknown
Dunlop  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Aston Martin DB4 GT (#420) GTC-65 7 0 ---
---
suspension
Dunlop  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Austin-Healey 3000 (#471) GTC-65 DNS ---
---
didnotstart
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Austin-Healey 3000 (#473) GTC-65 ---
---
didnotstart
Dunlop  
SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
GT Legends
GTC-65
39:11.381
68.351mph
Erling G-P
Race
Mercedes 300SLMay 01, 2019, 08:40:34 PM +0100
L19EGTC
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 19 European GTC Cup - Targa Florio - May 1  (Read 1703 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:41:51 PM +0000 »

Championship standings HERE

Grid/server capacity: 22

Track: Targa Florio (Regular) Download this

Cars allowed: Aston Martin DB4 GT Download this
                       Austin Healey 3000 (Standard GTL car)
                       Ferrari 250 GT SWB Download this
                       Mercedes 300SL (Gullwing) Download this

Car restrictions: Three drives maximum per make. Check your car allowance here

Practice/Car change: ~16:00
No qualifying (random grid) Be online by at least 20:30
Race: 20:40 (1 lap)

Time of Day Setting: 14:00
Start: STANDING
Tyre wear: 2x
Fuel consumption: Normal
Pit stops required: No

Server: simracing.org.uk Wednesday
Password: see above

Notes:
(1) It's best if all drivers can make sure they are connected before the Qualifying session as drivers on track during qualifying will not see cars that join after they are on track until they go back to the garage.
(2) Please make sure you are fully aware of the SimRacing.org.uk Rules.
(3) The AI control should be turned off so that you have control of the car at all times, including pitting. Your player file should therefore read
Autopit="0"
Force Autopit Off="1" // Forces autopit always off
No AI Control="1" // AI never has control over car
If you still finding pitting problematic, experience tells us that its less to do with positioning and more to do with approach speed. A slow approach to pit crew chief has proved most reliable.

Special Notes: A long track so please use this https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=12160.0. Cuts will be off for this event. Note early race start time. You will need the in-game start countdown to be turned on.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:08:00 PM +0000 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 10:34:19 PM +0000 »

Drivers who set a time in Practice usually get a preferential grid place, even though it's supposed to be "random"  Roll Eyes

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Bob M.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:46:29 PM +0000 »

I prefer to be "Tail End Charlie" , Thanks........

Bob M.
Dominick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 04:05:55 PM +0000 »

Just did a decent enough 36.45 here.
Alas, thrice alas, it was with a non-eligible car, viz. the BMW Procar GTO. Almost perfect for the job.
If I'd use my extensive experience here, off the four available cars I'd recommend.... none of them.
It's pure sado-masochism to pick those cars for this. I doubt anyone, including myself, will make the finish.
And that's coming from someone who doesn't hesitate to take the Gulf GT40, the Lola T70, the Alfa 33, or even the Maserati 450S 5.7L to this track.

Actually, scrap that, let's first try them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:09:57 PM +0000 by Dominick » Logged
Dominick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 06:40:15 PM +0000 »

First update and backpedalling:
The Ferrari 250 GT SWB is doable. It needs a very oversteery setup so you can pivot that bulk carrier in front of the windscreen around corners with the throttle but it's doable.
Any understeer in those few nasty righthanders is insta-death though.

Next up: the Healey
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 06:49:40 PM +0000 »

I had not noticed that Tony had slipped this little gem into the schedule.  Undecided Undecided

Rather ironically, I have been discussing Targa with a fellow GPL'er for the last weeks, because he has taken the time and effort to "learn" Targa and frankly I cannot be bothered to commit that much time even though I am retired.

I fear that this event will be one which I am unlikely to complete, even though it is an historically correct course. There might be an opportunity to do a recce before the actual event, but I seriously doubt that it will result in "knowing" this mammoth course.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 06:51:06 PM +0000 »

First update and backpedalling:
The Ferrari 250 GT SWB is doable. It needs a very oversteery setup so you can pivot that bulk carrier in front of the windscreen around corners with the throttle but it's doable.
Any understeer in those few nasty righthanders is insta-death though.

Next up: the Healey

Any hope of you posting some times? Just so that I know how far off the pace I am??  Undecided

Rank   Only when I sweat
Dominick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 10:57:55 PM +0000 »

Any hope of you posting some times? Just so that I know how far off the pace I am??  Undecided
My time with the Fezza 250 GT SWB was 40.41 which is embarassingly slow. Better skilled drivers with setup understanding could likely get that down to 39.00.
I'm only good at getting the cars all the way to the finish  angel
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 11:02:13 AM +0000 »

My time with the Fezza 250 GT SWB was 40.41 which is embarassingly slow. Better skilled drivers with setup understanding could likely get that down to 39.00.
I'm only good at getting the cars all the way to the finish  angel

40:41 embarrassing huh???!!! and you got to the finish?? Roll Eyes  ...........................................if only  Undecided

I might give this a trial run this pm and I will post any time for a completed run here.........don't expect any news soon!

Rank   Only when I sweat
Dominick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 05:01:43 PM +0100 »

Did a 40.50 in the Merc. Again I must admit it's quite a bit better car for this race than I anticipated. It's quite sluggish and awkward and the gears are too short and five gears would be much better but like the Fezza, it's doable. It's probably the safest option too as it's better at braking and turning in an emergency-avoid-the-bollards-at-all-costs after coming in one of the nasty corners too fast.

The Healey was a big surprise. I always found it an awkward car and hadn't done much with it in all the time I own GTL. But it comes really to life here. It's even....fun. Its quintessential Britishness is a definite plus. It almost feels like you're in a 60's or 70's movie, you know the type. I'll have to have another go though to mention a time because I hadn't reduced the fuel or picked the longest gears in my attempt. However, that's not imminent as my back has put an embargo on more Targa this weekend (did some GT40, Lola and Mazza's too  laugh)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 05:02:45 PM +0100 »

1st attempt at Targa  scared scared scared using the Healey.

Basically it was all point and squirt, because I had no idea where the road went around the next corner. Plus, every time that I thought I knew , I was wrong!, and stuffed the car on one of those tank traps, or plunged across a grassy meadow.
 I guess that there were maybe 8 "offs" and I clocked a 45:20. So if I can control my urge to force the pace ( fat chance!!  Roll Eyes ) there might be a 42:00 'ish time in there.

I cannot see how I could learn the whole course in the next 2 weeks, it would take more hours than I care to spend on it. But maybe a couple more runs will allow me to recall some of the more distinctive sections. I felt that I had the straight bits nailed down, so if I just learn those corners...................................... Roll Eyes

Rank   Only when I sweat
Dominick

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 04:38:41 PM +0100 »

1st attempt at Targa  scared scared scared using the Healey.

Basically it was all point and squirt, because I had no idea where the road went around the next corner. Plus, every time that I thought I knew , I was wrong!, and stuffed the car on one of those tank traps, or plunged across a grassy meadow.
 I guess that there were maybe 8 "offs" and I clocked a 45:20. So if I can control my urge to force the pace ( fat chance!!  Roll Eyes ) there might be a 42:00 'ish time in there.

I cannot see how I could learn the whole course in the next 2 weeks, it would take more hours than I care to spend on it. But maybe a couple more runs will allow me to recall some of the more distinctive sections. I felt that I had the straight bits nailed down, so if I just learn those corners...................................... Roll Eyes

Wait, your very first attempt ever? In any sim? Any car?
Oh dear. In that case, no, you're unlikely to master the track like you would an ordinary one in the alloted timeframe. Even after hundreds of Targa runs over the years, I still have moments of 'Hold on, where am I?  scared'

But on the other hand, the Targa's difficulty per mile, so to speak, is actually rather low. There are maybe ten or twelve points you really have to remember because, as you experienced, they lead to heavy, often terminal, crashes or off-road excursions which are very hard to climb back out off. Outside of those it's rather predictable in that it's mostly a sequence of left, right, left, right and so on. One tip I can give is that when you see black and white chevrons, you really need to break because they always indicate tight corners which in these cars are 2nd or even 1st gear. Another tip is never to relax. The kink in the very long straight is hazardous and the very last section can be tricky too. I don't know how many times I have overshot the lefthander at the car park from which you set out and ruined 35-40 minutes of effort.
It is tough, but for me at least the satisfaction of a good run on the Targa has no comparison.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 04:53:52 PM +0100 »

TBH, not my first ever attempt at Targa. I have "attempted" a couple in GPL and not exactly covered myself in glory  Roll Eyes and I think we did an event in GTL a while back where I totalled a Lotus Cortina inside the first kilometre, then went and had a beer.  Undecided
There are sections that kind of look familiar, like the villages? and where there are a load of pink flowers?, plus the long straight of course. But, I have no real idea of where I am or what happens next. It just feels like an exercise in absolute concentration and reaction, and very exhausting. Give me 10 laps of Nürburgring anytime  Wink

I had assumed that those chevrons were a warning sign, and dropped a gear each time I saw them. The problem of course is that it could be a very tight 45 degree corner...or a 180 degree with a big drop or those car killing concrete posts!!

Rank   Only when I sweat
SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 06:00:43 AM +0100 »

1965 Targa Florio:

https://www.facebook.com/GTCars8A/videos/407955193085092/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:05:59 AM +0100 by SpecialKS » Logged

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 06:11:01 AM +0100 »

Of course well known, but one more teaser: Targa Florio 1972.

Vic Elford explaining how to drive the track  Grin Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_oF-ZMhD0

Cool
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:20:46 AM +0100 by SpecialKS » Logged

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com