by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 04:37:17 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L19AHI Watkins Glen: November 06, 2019
November 06, 2019, 08:33:12 PM +0000 - Watkins Glen (Classic) - UKGTL Season 19 60's & 70's American Heavy Iron
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Pontiac GTO (#65055) GTC-65 1 1:14.852
112.077mph
1 30:29.661
110.042mph
24 1:15.156
111.624mph
Firestone  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Pontiac GTO (#65415) GTC-65 3 +1.079
110.484mph
2 +21.111
108.787mph
24 1:16.153
110.162mph
Firestone  
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Chevrolet Chevelle (#1367) GTC-65 4 +1.531
109.830mph
3 +25.635
108.522mph
24 1:16.422
109.774mph
Firestone  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Chevrolet Chevelle (#67202) GTC-65 5 +1.703
109.584mph
4 +32.319
108.132mph
24 1:16.686
109.396mph
Firestone  
Dominick

Ford Falcon Sprint 351 (#41) GTC-65 6 +2.063
109.071mph
5 +38.649
107.766mph
24 1:16.539
109.607mph
Goodyear  
Bob M.
  OLD SCHOOL RACING TEAM
Ford Falcon Sprint 351 (#56) GTC-65 7 +2.727
108.137mph
6 +50.152
107.107mph
24 1:17.316
108.505mph
Goodyear  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Ford Falcon Sprint 351 (#991) GTC-65 8 +3.145
107.558mph
7 +1L
103.839mph
23 1:17.312
108.511mph
Goodyear  
seniordan
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Ford Falcon Sprint 351 (#56) GTC-65 10 +8.357
100.821mph
8 +2L
97.436mph
22 1:17.163
108.720mph
Goodyear  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Chevrolet Chevelle (#67202) GTC-65 2 +0.991
110.612mph
9 +8L 16 1:15.896
110.535mph
suspension
Firestone  
Pete Greendike

Ford Falcon Sprint 351 (#66) GTC-65 9 +5.345
104.607mph
10 +10L 14 1:19.873
105.031mph
unknown
Goodyear  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 19 60's & 70's American Heavy Iron - Watkins Glen - Nov 6  (Read 2869 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2018, 12:56:45 PM +0000 »

Championship Standings here

Grid/server capacity: 22

RACE ONE (1960's)

Practice: ~19:20 (60 mins)
Qualifying: 20:20 (10 mins)
Race: 20:30 (24 laps)

Track: Watkins Glen 60's Download this

Cars allowed: 1960's
Chevrolet Chevelle, Chevrolet Impala, Ford Falcon Sprint, Pontiac GTO

Car restrictions: Three drives maximum per make. Check your car allowance here

Time of Day Setting: 14:00
Start: STANDING
Tyre wear: Normal
Fuel consumption: Normal
Pit stops: Not required

Server: simracing.org.uk Wednesday
Password: see above

Notes:
(1) It's best if all drivers can make sure they are connected before the Qualifying session as drivers on track during qualifying will not see cars that join after they are on track until they go back to the garage.
(2) Please make sure you are fully aware of the SimRacing.org.uk Rules.
(3) The AI control should be turned off so that you have control of the car at all times, including pitting. Your player file should therefore read
Autopit="0"
Force Autopit Off="1" // Forces autopit always off
No AI Control="1" // AI never has control over car
If you still finding pitting problematic, experience tells us that its less to do with positioning and more to do with approach speed. A slow approach to pit crew chief has proved most reliable.

Special Notes: Note early race start.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 12:33:16 PM +0100 »

IMPORTANT

As we have a 60's and a 70's version of Watkins Glen, we shall use them both for these events.

Download link for the non-60's version can be found in the race announcement here https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=15285.msg278271#msg278271

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 11:01:52 AM +0100 »

I'll be away for this one. But I will make sure that the correct track is running before I go out and I will do the results on my return.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 10:43:54 AM +0000 »

Server now set with race password (usual one).

After first race please vote for "Next Event" to advance on to next track.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 11:18:17 PM +0000 »

Who is Pete Greendike?

He is in the result file for Race 1 (not checked Race 2 yet) and he is in the replay for race 1. But as far as I can ascertain he is not a member of SROUK.

I will have to put him in the results as "unknown".
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:21:19 PM +0000 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 11:29:52 PM +0000 »

Results and replay now posted.

Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 11:31:05 PM +0000 »

Who is Pete Greendike?

He is in the result file for Race 1 (not checked Race 2 yet) and he is in the replay for race 1. But as far as I can ascertain he is not a member of SROUK.

He is a friend of Dan.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 11:39:09 PM +0000 »

Who is Pete Greendike?

He is a friend of Dan.

Ah, Ok. Well I hope he joins us again but he does need to register if he wishes to continue racing with us.

SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 06:08:07 AM +0000 »

Who is Pete Greendike?

He is a friend of Dan.

Peter G. already participated in one of the NoGrip Legacy TC70 races  Cool .
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 08:14:05 AM +0000 by Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer » Logged

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 09:19:33 AM +0000 »

Grats to the podiums and finishers....of which I was not one   Undecided I have made no secret of the fact that I really enjoy these cars and look forward to racing in them.

I have had issues with my shifter in the past, but I thought a strip down and clean had sorted that. However, during the pre-race practice on the server last night things started to feel very wrong.
 It started when on a couple of occasions I could not engage 1st gear as I tried to leave the paddock and gradually got worse with missed upshifts and downshifts and the dreaded double downshifts into corners, which does nothing to help one's driving!!

As the race progressed things got more unpredictable. Ironically, the start worked fine and I got off the grid quickly and worked perfectly up through the gears to lead the first lap...and some of the second lap too. But then things started to unravel with missed gear changes exiting corners and the
"beginning of the end" when entering the final corner and chasing a very quick Geoffers the gearbox went from 4th- 1st sending the car flying off the track  Undecided.
I recovered almost last and chased after Bob, who was the next car up the road, but the gremlins continually interrupted my progress. It could be said that my problems might represent real life racing where a driver struggles with a dodgy gearbox. All I can say is that there is not much fun in that!!
I did hook together a couple of laps and catch Bob, eventually getting past at The Loop, for a brief period I wondered if the bits in the shifter had sorted themselves out as I had a couple of clean laps.
Then things got very bad and every gearchange was a problem until the entry to The Loop the intended drop to 3rd became a big hollow neutral and sent the car straight on into the haybales!!!

So I quit and decided that taking part in the 2nd race was a pointless exercise. Today's mission is to dismantle the f***+## shifter and see if I can find a solution, or I shall have to try and repair the paddle shifters as an alternative. Either way, my racing might be curtailed until I can find a solution. It may even force me to convert to "H" shifter if that works, but I worry that the same microswitches are going to be involved in that option.

Hope you guys had more fun that I did and I hope to be back on the grid asap.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 10:01:58 AM +0000 »

@ Clive - might be worth a trawl of eBay?

Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 11:18:46 AM +0000 »

First of all sorry to hear about your troubles Clive; hope you get them sorted soon.

Race 1 quite unremarkable.  For once got a good start, jumping Roger off the line.  Staying ahead wasn't going to be easy, with his quicker car, and only lasted a couple of laps.  Got elevated to 3rd again, when Clive's double downshift sent him spinning off.  Rest of the race, Roger pulled away, while first Dom & later Matt kept station behind me.  Grats to Geoffers & Roger.

Race 2 a strange affair.  Started out normally enough, with Geoffers on the obligatory pole, and me a more unlikely 2nd.  

Kept the place on L1. Geoffers soon moved away. He's really in a different league, so I didn't consider my race to be with him. Real one was with Matt & the rest of the pack behind me. Pushing hard, I built a gap of 4+ secs, and started thinking about sparing my tyres. Tried being smooth, but then the gap dropped below 4 secs, so obviously I couldn't relax!  

Pushing again, I got the gap restored to 5 secs. Just as I was minding my own business, doing this, my race suddenly became with Geoffers after all.  Found him recovering at the chicane, and couldn't help passing him.  He very much wanted his old position back, and I very much was in his way..  Really only driving the lines I had for the whole race, which was necessary to maintain my pace.  On worn tyres, with Geoffers snapping at my heels, I was now overdriving the car. Got a cut warning when we entered the chicane side by side. If I kept this up, I would surely get s S/G!  When later on that lap, I got a bump from Geoffers under braking, I decided enough was enough, and slowed to let him past. Except he didn't overtake! Maybe I should have flashed my lights?

Matt however had no reservations, and seized a golden opportunity. I hadn't realized he was that close, and when I did and floored it, it was too late. He overtook us both, grabbing the lead. With the ensuing red mist, I lost focus and now Geoff easily got past too. Escape key was mighty tempting at this point, but ever conscious of Championship points, I forced myself to continue. Proved fortunate, with a bizarre turn of events.  First Matt suddenly dived for the pits - S/G? maybe? Then on the following lap, Geoffers drifted wide in a curve, sliding onto the grass, and most unexpected, I was back in the lead, only having to keep it together for another lap.

Weird way to win, and not very satisfactory at all.  Grats to Bob, grats/commiserations to Geoff, and commiserations to Matt, whatever the cause of his terminated race.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:32:21 PM +0000 by Erling G-P » Logged
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 02:56:42 PM +0000 »

I assumed you and Geoff had contact, and were recovering, so nipped past. Then had a S/G for too many
liberties in the chicane, then with worn tyres  I got wobbly and lost it onto the grass which gave me
another S/G, gave up after that.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
seniordan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 03:27:49 PM +0000 »

Peter Greendike.
Apologies to Tony and the others for not introducing him and asking for permission to join us.
Peter is a friend of mine who occassionaly drops in on a racing night and then likes to join us. Normally I ask if anyone minds if he does but I thought everyone knew who he was by now. He isn't around very often so  I wonder if registering is any use but of course that isn't for me to decide. Pete isn't exactly an alien and his skills are mainly limited to saloons and modest GTs (the big Americans were a bit too much for him last night)but he really enjoys the odd visit to UKGTL.

Sorry for the omission Tony
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 03:42:56 PM +0000 »

@ Clive - might be worth a trawl of eBay?

Thanks Tony, I have taken a stroll through some of the offerings on e-bay ( and Amazon), but as expected there are zero NEW G25's on offer. A couple of USED G25's, even one with complete rig included which was tempting, but required a trip to London to collect. My biggest concern about buying a second hand G25 would be "how worn is it?"OK, I could use it as a source of spares, but If it has had as much punishment as mine then my problems are not going to improve much  Undecided. Plus how do you check if something like this is worn....only by trying it I guess?

I have got the "H" pattern shifter working this pm ( for both GTL and GPL) and it seems reliable and consistent as far as the gearchanges are concerned, maybe because the microswitches remain depressed when the are selected?? and they cannot flutter on the contacts to give random inputs.

After years ( decades actually!!  Shocked ) of simracing with paddle shift or sequential shift, it is taxing my single active brain cell to co-ordinate and multi function at a level that is even approaching competitive or reliable  when I am manipulating a gear stick and balancing opp lock alongside brake/gas pedals:-\

I have a 1967 Sports Car race in UKGPL this coming Sunday at Brands Hatch and as my standing in that series is looking good ATM, I might have to get into some serious training and practice with the "H" shifter to see if I can master the extra skill required  Roll Eyes. If I can convince myself that the stuff I have works and that I am competitive ( or at the very least not a danger to other drivers!) I will probably use the current hardware for a couple of months and then consider a complete upgrade of wheel/pedal/shifter , maybe to Thrustmaster or Fanatec? as my dabble with the new G29 earlier in the year did not go well.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com