The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 19, 2024, 02:25:19 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 590 times)
BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2019, 05:41:58 AM +0000 »

Windows 7 will no longer be supported after 14 January 2020 - no longer get updates!  Roll Eyes Therefore considering purchasing Windows 10 Home, any advice on problems encountered by people who have already done this would be appreciated.  Grin

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:34 AM +0000 »

Hi Bill

So Windows 10 is fine, but IMO it's frustrating to use after W7 as it takes a while to discover how to do things that were second nature in W7. Also you do get huge updates and you cannot control when they activate. So you may want to shut your PC down to go to bed and then you find that you have to wait for W10 to install a mega update.

Then there is the thing with running stuff as Admin etc.

I will be sticking to my W7 desktop PC until it expires. I'm not worried about no longer getting updates as I feel I'm protected with enough Anti-virus/spyware software to see me through.

I do have W10 on my gaming laptop but that was installed already.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

BillThomas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:53:19 PM +0000 »

Thanks Tony, problems might arise where your anti virus stops you from running because it has not been updated for a long while. What AV are you using? I am running the latest Norton, my iPhone/iPad AV warns me when update of IOS is available - doesn't stop me continuing to use old IOS though, at least for couple of days.

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:32:21 PM +0000 »

Thanks Tony, problems might arise where your anti virus stops you from running because it has not been updated for a long while. What AV are you using? I am running the latest Norton, my iPhone/iPad AV warns me when update of IOS is available - doesn't stop me continuing to use old IOS though, at least for couple of days.
I use Kaspersky Internet Security and Super Anti-spyware Professional. They both update automatically. I just have to be sure to run them before a race so they don't update during an event.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

BillThomas

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 01:23:47 PM +0000 »

Thanks Tony.

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com