Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 09:46:40 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S3455F1 Silverstone: June 09, 2019
June 09, 2019, 09:36:56 PM +0100 - Silverstone (GP 1952-73) - UKGPL Season 34 (2019) 1955 Grand Prix
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Maserati 250F F1 1955 1 1:43.164
102.094mph
1 47:12.422
100.400mph
27 1:43.890
101.380mph
Pirelli  
Clive Loynes
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Mercedes W196 F1 1955 3 +0.743
101.364mph
2 +43.078
98.896mph
27 1:44.602
100.690mph
Continental  
tagomago
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Gordini T16 F1 1955 5 +7.696
95.006mph
3 +1L
93.520mph
26 1:50.815
95.045mph
Englebert  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Ferrari 625 F1 1955 4 +2.839
99.360mph
4 +26L
92.690mph
1 1:51.828
94.184mph
Disco
Englebert  
uli

Lancia D50 F1 1955 2 +0.623
101.481mph
5 +1.282
91.655mph
1 1:54.122
92.291mph
Disco
Pirelli  
4 UKGPL

Lancia D50 F1 1955 6 6 DNS ---
---
{unknown}  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 34 (2019) 1955 Grand Prix - Silverstone - Jun 9  (Read 1370 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:51:04 PM +0100 »

Season 34 – 1955 Grand Prix – Round 10 – Silverstone

The final round in the 1955 Grand Prix series is at Silverstone, England. The venue for the 1954 British Grand Prix (the 1955 British Grand Prix was held at Aintree) the circuit is built on a disused airfield and comprises a mixture of sections of peri track and sections of runway. Silverstone was first used for motorsport by an ad hoc group of friends who, in September 1947, set up an impromptu race up and down the runway. The next year the Royal Automobile Club took a lease on the airfield and set out a more formal racing circuit. Their first two races were held on the runways themselves, with long straights separated by tight hairpin corners, the track was demarcated by hay bales. However, for the 1949 International Trophy meeting, it was decided to switch to the perimeter track. This arrangement was used for the 1950 and 1951 Grands Prix. In 1952 the start line was moved from the Farm Straight to the straight linking Woodcote and Copse corners, this layout remained largely unaltered for the following 38 years and will be the layout that we will be using tonight.

Please read the championship specific rules on the championship standings page.

Race listiGOR
ServerUKGPL_4
IP address46.69.108.137
Date09-06-2019
TrackPapyrus Original
Mod55GP with 60fpsV2newmod
Damage PRO long
Race time~ 21:30 UK time (BST, GMT + 1)
Qualifying 45 minutes @ 20:45 UK time (BST, GMT + 1)
Race length27 laps
Replay here

If the official replay site is unavailable, the server replay can be downloaded from this temporary location.

Please restrict chat to emergency messages only including at the end of the race until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Password: see above
Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

Handicapping and chassis allocation.
This season the 1955 Grand Prix cars will again be using a token system which allows drivers to purchase any chassis of their choice for a given number of tokens as published on the championship standings page. Drivers classed as Amateurs will be allocated an additional 10 tokens.  The token allocation will not be managed in SRou this season so (unlike the 67F1 Works and 67F1 Privateer divisions) the tokens available to each driver will not appear in the championship table (when the mouse pointer is hovered over the driver's total).  Rather, the available tokens will be published in the race announcement. See table below.

Available Tokens:
Note: These are the tokens available to each driver before the 10 tokens are added for making the race start.

Driver        Tokens  Status
Alessandro Isacchini
Pro
bagrupp
Pro
Clive Loynes
Pro
Cookie
Pro
DLogan
Pro
EvilClive
Pro
fpolicardi
Pro
Gareth
Pro
Jeep
Pro
uli
Pro
francesco
Am
Phil Thornton
Am
Rich Welsh
Am
tagomago
Am
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:49:25 PM +0100 by Phil Thornton » Logged
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:19:44 AM +0100 »

There will be no Team Orders from SBRC as Fran and Tago do battle to determine the Amateur honours.   Grin

I think that Tago could buy a Merc each for all of us!   Roll Eyes

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
francesco

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 10:47:06 AM +0100 »

My season and here,the 9-06 i'm not at home.
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 12:37:11 PM +0100 »

My season and here,the 9-06 i'm not at home.

That's a shame.

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 11:24:52 AM +0100 »

Practice server is up. Please test your connections.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:01:25 PM +0100 »

I hope to find some time to "dial in" for these cars p.m. Sunday, as they require a different approach from anything else that we drive.

But it looks like Team SBRC with the season champ Mr Loynes are going to using the W196 and the Gordini, as Fran is on vacation. I'm sure that Uli will be fired up for the last round, Tim is likely to be in there and a lot of other people like Silverstone.

Not sure which car to use as I have plenty of T$'s. Using the Merc, which should be fast, would mean developing a setup from zero, I might see what I can do with the Connaught, but Silvy does not have enough corners for that car to be a threat.............decisions, decisions???  Undecided

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 12:23:31 PM +0100 »

Not had much chance to practice for this one but you are dead right about the cars Evil!  ;-)

My accounts department have skillfully left me with just the right amount of Thornton Dollars to take the Merc.

EDIT:  Just done a little practice on the server and can't get anywhere near my previous times.  ;-(  And I can't face any more practice!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:03:12 PM +0100 by Clive Loynes » Logged

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 09:35:38 PM +0100 »

I'm having some computer issues ATM. I can't get my race PC to connect to my server, I get a "time out message". Very frustrating when I am 3 feet from the server and it won't connect.  I couldn't reboot my router because it would have disconnected everyone.

Hope the race is going well!
uli

If you want finish first you have to finish first.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 09:53:46 PM +0100 »

Big SORRY Fulvio, that was not not my intention.
I didn't plan to overtake you and was good on my braking point but not able to avoid you Sad
That's why I hate this 55 cars - breaking is very difficult out branking nearly impossible - that's no fun to me.
So I stopped my race, probably my last 55 mod race.
I missed more than a second of speed to my last year pole. Hope it was my low preparing and not the getting older Wink
After the start my fps rate break down (with only 5 cars on the grid!?!?), I couldn't hear my engine, wrong gear ...
It's a pity to finish the season (THX Admins!) this why but I'll never forget the nice moments Smiley.
THX for racing with you all, have a nice summerbreak.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:19:43 PM +0100 by uli » Logged
tagomago

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 10:31:07 PM +0100 »

Late for me to sell or give away my tokens Grin ... happy with my 3rd here at silverstone ... a pity that we have been few ... an enjoyment on track with you ... thanks for letting me participate and thanks to Clive for his help with setups and replays Wink

Hope to see you again  Wink
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 10:35:53 PM +0100 »

Late for me to sell or give away my tokens Grin ... happy with my 3rd here at silverstone ... a pity that we have been few ... an enjoyment on track with you ... thanks for letting me participate and thanks to Clive for his help with setups and replays Wink

Hope to see you again  Wink

It's been a pleasure Tago.

I think that may have given you the Amateur Championship.

I forgot to take a replay so I can't update GPLWeekly until the server replay appears.  It's an age thing.  ;-)

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 10:51:13 PM +0100 »

I think that may have given you the Amateur Championship.
Yes, grats Tago Mago!!!!

I forgot to take a replay so I can't update GPLWeekly until the server replay appears.  It's an age thing.  ;-)
Temp link in race announcement now points to server replay.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 09:16:14 AM +0100 »

Well done Tago  clap Getting the Gordini to the top of the Ams table was no mean feat, and finishing 3rd at Silverstone last night deserves some acclaim. It takes a certain degree of masochism to climb into the Gordini for each race, and keep it going to the flag.  I Am Not Worthy

My misfortunes early in the season left me too far adrift to be a problem for Clive who had already secured this season's championship, grats to Clive on staying out of trouble and getting those valuable points.  Wink

I was hoping for a decent grid for the final race of the season and some fun racing, but 5 cars was a little disappointing. I had looked at the times from the last 55 race at Silvy and tried a few different cars offline during the afternoon. I had enough T$ to take any car I desired but taking the Merc felt like cheating, and my favourite Connaught was not going to be fast enough on the straights... so which car would give me a chance of dicing at the front?

I remembered that I had used the 250F Maserati at Silvy, so I gave that a run and immediately found that the setup needed some adjustment...either I have changed or the car has??
All of the gear ratios had to be increased, I totally changed the diff, the brake bias was too far rearward and the roll bars were just wrong. Then I reasoned that Clive in his Merc and Uli, if he took the Lancia again, would be in fast cars I needed to allow for slipstreaming in my Maserati so upped 4th and 5th even more to protect the engine.
Great planning and preparation .....................and then I somehow pulled a really good lap to take pole position, which was a worry because I thought I would be a sitting duck on the straights for Clive and Uli with my high top gear. Well, I would just have to get my head down and go for it.

It was sad to see Fulvio and Uli out on lap 1, leaving just 3 cars running, and at first I suspected Clive was sandbagging in his Merc or being careful with his tyres?...he ought to be faster, and closer??!!!
But gradually I eased away and TBH I was cruising for a most of the laps just watching the gap back to Clive, just in case he found some extra pace.  I suspect that he was also cruising to get to the finish  Wink
Quite pleased to find the sweet spot in the Maserati, as on previous outings I always felt that there was hidden pace in that chassis. A shame that we won't be running these cars next season ( I might have to moonlight in another league to get my fix!), but I know that the 55's are  Marmite, you either love them or hate them. maybe we can get them back in the future?

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
fpolicardi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 11:00:08 AM +0100 »

Big SORRY Fulvio, that was not not my intention.
I didn't plan to overtake you and was good on my braking point but not able to avoid you Sad
That's why I hate this 55 cars - breaking is very difficult out branking nearly impossible - that's no fun to me.
So I stopped my race, probably my last 55 mod race.
I missed more than a second of speed to my last year pole. Hope it was my low preparing and not the getting older Wink
After the start my fps rate break down (with only 5 cars on the grid!?!?), I couldn't hear my engine, wrong gear ...
It's a pity to finish the season (THX Admins!) this why but I'll never forget the nice moments Smiley.
THX for racing with you all, have a nice summerbreak.

Thx Uli, I know that you aren't a kamikaze  Wink
At start I was surprised by your slow start and I was reluctant to pass you at T2, but went for it hoping for some fun trying to defend a little, knowing well you would have passed me soon, but not so soon  Grin
Anyway no change in standing I think.
About this season it was a pleasure with many good results, I wouldn't have hoped a third, but I managed bad my choice of car in the first part of season so I was stuck in the Fezza for the rest of season and couldn't try to battle in a faster car.
I'm looking forward for the new Sport cars season.
Ciao

Fulvio Policardi
Team7 Driver
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 12:39:59 PM +0100 »

.......................... A shame that we won't be running these cars next season

Too right!  I didn't kow that.

I'll say my goodbyes now.

The UKGPL series has been the final leg of my '55 Tripple Crown.  I'm now the current champion in the 55mod for GPLRACER, PDLR and UKGPL.  I am particularly proud of the PDLR crown as this league operates a self handicapping system whereby you take a car that lets you fight with the majority of the field.  They have some good drivers and I used the Connaught.

It is the difficulty of the brake fade that attracts me to this mod.  I finished with the others a long time ago but this mod just adds another dimension that I haven't seen anywhere else.  Sat on a swivel office chair my poor old brain cannot come to terms with high grip sims and just don't want to know about wings.

I accept that the brake fade model is probably more servere than they had to cope with in 1955 but they had other issues to contend with, such as being dead if they got it wrong.  So I don't feel that the mod builders have been wrong to make the brake fade more pronounced.  We need something to challenge us!  To me the other mods are all variations on the same fantastic original and you can skip from one to the other with little change of mindset and technique.  The 55mod is different.

My speed at Silverstone was not good.  This is probably because I have been "filling-in" with 67 races at PDLR and it is difficult to mix them unless you are very good at it, like Evil!  Keeping tabs on my left foot is a problem when I have been doing 67mod races.  To that end, I wait until two hours before the 67mod races are due to start before I go to look for a setup.  That way I don't get back into the habit of steering with the brakes!  I've found that the old 25T setups, modified where available by Dave Wilkinson, suit me best.  He was my original Guru in SBRC when I first started to race and that is about where I have sunk to in 67mod.

In the race I found that I was over heating my left rear tyre and that was giving me a problem with a number of near-spins.  I was just about holding Evil when it was going well but every now and then, when the tyres got hot, I would have a slow corner nearly sideways and he galloped off into the distance.  That is another aspect of the 55mod.  The Mercs have lots of power but they are heavy and take a lot of stopping.  They can be great over one lap but a real challenge over a race distance.  The Lancia may actually be a better bet sometimes.

So that's it then.  Looks like I shall be champion for longer than I thought.   Sad

Congratulations to Tago for the Amateur Crown and to Uli and Fulvio for second and third.

Congratulations to Evil also for his emphatic win.

See you next time you run 55s.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:21:53 PM +0100 by Clive Loynes » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com