Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 09:23:47 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S35 Isle of Man: June 18, 2019
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 35 fun - 65s - 37¾ mile Isle Of Man Mountain Course - Jun 18  (Read 846 times)
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2019, 05:10:00 PM +0100 »

Fun Race - 65s – Test -  Isle of Man full version

The first test for the new 37¾ mile Isle Of Man Mountain Course for Grand Prix Legends

Race List =  IGOR
Server = UKGPL_8
IP Address = look at IGOR
Race date = 18-06-2019
GPL mod = F165
60fps patch used = 60fpsV2newmod
Track = AAIOM
Qualification = 20:30  UK summertime -> 60min
Race = race starts at ~21:30 UK summertime
Race length = ~50 min -> 2 laps
Damage Model = Int (with shift+r allowed.)
Replay = here

GLA + FUN

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:59:06 PM +0100 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 06:30:39 PM +0100 »

Might I suggest, for a more accurate (and safer) IOM experience: make the starting grid gaps HUGE, like P2 is back in Governor's Dip, P3 at Signpost, etc., where ever approximates the 10 second interval at the start line, then use the laptimes instead of finishing order to determine rankings, like IRL. This is not a track to be dicing for position on Wink .

Downsides for pole sitter: will be responsible for letting others know flag has fallen, and will miss out on flying start to lap 1

I'm thinking of making this one, tho it will be with a controller. G25 has issues right now Sad .

edit: not looking good on controller front (XBox clone). can't get it driveable, too twitchy, worse with speed, 30 tries = once to Ago's Leap without wadding it
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:40:32 PM +0100 by DLogan » Logged
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 09:03:26 AM +0100 »

Good to hear from you Dean, but it sounds like you have been doing some training for I.O.M....and that is worrying even if you are using an X-box controller!!!  Coz, I have not even downloaded the track file yet  Undecided

I did notice that there are some "pace notes" available to help learn this track. Can we use those in Multiplayer mode?? I suspect that the answer will be NO.  Sad

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:17:25 AM +0100 »

Clive if you know the old IOM abridged version some parts will be familiar.

The signs for dangerous corners are way better now.

Axel "Cookie"

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:36:30 AM +0100 »

Well that might be a problem Axel, because have not tried the shorter version either lol.

It could be a very steep learning curve this evening  Undecided

I have no problem with circuits like Nurby, Brno or Dundrod which are long laps maybe up to 15-20Km, but things like Targa and I.O.M feel like a stretch too far for me and are in a different category of racing. I find that I cannot commit the time and effort to "learn" those.  Maybe I am just getting too old???  Undecided

Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 12:43:03 PM +0100 »

Hey Clive just try it!

There are only 5-6 dangerous corners on this track, when you use the option manager you get help by arrows wich show you the way!!!
Robert is using them...

Hey you are never too old to learn a new track!
I am born in the same year as Clive Loynes... 1950...

Axel "Cookie"

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 01:15:32 PM +0100 »

OK, I have just downloaded and tried this track. Using the FULL version and the graphics are awesome. I d/loaded the OPTIONS and installed as recommended in the README notes and that all looks OK too.

But I am getting a few issues.  Undecided
 When I get into the car at the start, maybe 50% of the time I get a CDT within 3 secs? and have to restart GPL via GEM. It takes a while to load the track, but as it is such a huge file that is expected.

I have tried to use the OPTIONS for pace notes/name places/ or corner direction arrows, but nothing appears to work ?? I get none of the AIDS on screen. The training start position does not work either, whatever I select on the circuit graphic in OPTIONS ( and SAVE), I still arrive in the pits? maybe I am missing something with the OPTIONS?
I even tried launching GPL from the GPL65.exe file, but that did not appear to make a difference. Just going to try a reboot of PC as I had to d/load and install a windows NET FRAMEWORK (?) file before OPTIONS could work.

So, I tried a run totally blind, and as Axel says there are not that many really tight corners. But it would be nice to learn/know when I am arriving at one  Roll Eyes!! I think I did 75% of the lap before I was caught out and stuffed the car into the barriers and that was on a fast Esses section.

UPDATE.

Have restarted PC and created a new "SHORTCUT" for the OPTIONS onto the desktop and all seems to be working
Just a couple of comments on the various HELP options that might be helpful for others trying I.O.M. for the first time.  Wink. My initial suggestion is to use just one option, otherwise you are overwhelmed by information and forget that you are supposed to be driving a car!!  Wink

1) The Corner/Speed arrows are very good, but I find that I am looking for/concentrating on those graphics rather than where the track is actually going, which sort of kills the fun. But probably good for learning?
2) The name places option might be better for me, because I can relate that to sections of the circuit. This is the way I usually learn a new track by remembering groups of corners, so that I can picture what comes next. The only prob I have is that the text  on screen seems too small to read...….maybe it is an age thing again lol!!

3) the audible pace notes are good, but I found that I needed to get used to a back seat driver  laugh...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:35:35 PM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 02:22:37 PM +0100 »

TBH I never tried one of the options except the starting point to have more speed over the line Grin

For me the standart signs are enough, only once is a right hander with the late arrow...

Axel "Cookie"

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 03:05:56 PM +0100 »

After another try, I think that I am in agreement with you Axel.
I am finding that the HELPS are a distraction and just at the moment where I should be remembering a landmark before a tricky corner I am looking at a name or direction arrow. Which means that when I come to that part of the track again I do not know where I am.

I might try again later and use the audio pace notes, but I think that I might be better with everything turned off lol.

Rank   Only when I sweat
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 05:39:45 PM +0100 »

Some progress, but not what I'd hoped for. Putting every setup trick into stability over speed, I've managed a sub-24 minute lap, with about a dozen shift-r's and several times that of solid wall clouts.

Tracking down and using DXTweak reveals the true problem: this controller (https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_195_199&item_id=121727) SUCKS. There's no response at all off zero until over 1/4 travel of the joysticks (throttle & brake are even worse), and linearity is similar to Donald Trump's signature. Sad

As far as aids go, I've never liked them, and don't use them here. I know the track from TT Isle Of Man: Ride on the Edge (https://www.iomtt-thegame.com/en) and vintage Guy Martin onboards. Just need to find new landmarks for the Ballaugh to Ramsey section for Pearson's version. The game also allows you to work on the track by section, but I never bothered. Just ran full laps until I got it.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:41:57 PM +0100 by DLogan » Logged
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 07:36:53 PM +0100 »

After maybe 3 or 4 complete laps there are some sections that look familiar...but there are others that I think I know....but I don't lol. At the moment so many of the corners look the same but it is the next corner that catches me out. I think that "Yes, I can take this one flat in 4th because there is a short straight coming up"  only to discover that 50 mtrs on is a tight 2nd gear corner  scared

Following a car currently makes it even worse, because I find myself watching the rear of the car in front and not looking for the landmarks that tell me where I am. 

This circuit will take quite some time to imprint on my small brain...then we can try it in the 55's  devil scared

Rank   Only when I sweat
DLogan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 08:31:00 PM +0100 »

Just checked, and I have no igor racelist.   Angry

Is [ RaceListServers ] IP = igor.gplrank.info still valid?
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 08:46:06 PM +0100 »

I believe that is correct Dean.

I have racelist here, so when Axel launches server I will post IP address on this forum, then you can join through GPL Multiplayer.
SERVER IP=  92.116.158.129 

Igor server                     = gplrank.info
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:51:02 PM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 08:48:03 PM +0100 »

Sorry it was a little chaotic,
this afternoon after an update suddenly iGOR stopped working, nothing helped, but set up a whole new OS on the server.

When all worked again I rested a little and fell asleep... at 20:42 UK time I woke up and set the server not looking for the laps to race Roll Eyes

2 laps were announced but the server was set to 3...

I stopped after 2 laps wondering why you did not until I saw the 3 Shocked

After all it was a FUN race, I have a big smile when I race this track. Grin
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:36:36 PM +0100 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

AnGex

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 08:43:48 AM +0100 »

Now lets do 2 laps in the Formula 2 Cars!  thumbup1
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:06:14 AM +0100 by AnGex » Logged

Get up, stand up: stand up for your right!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com