The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 03:31:20 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone buy a button box?  (Read 454 times)
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2019, 09:23:11 PM +0100 »

Not having enough controls on my wheel and shifter, I decided build my own button box rather than buy a nice looking one.

http://www.jamesonline.net/ac/buttonbox.php

Anyone use a purchased one? How much are they and are they worth the money?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:55:28 AM +0100 by miner2049er » Logged

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 10:20:20 PM +0100 »

Is that an X-box controller? Grin
My sequential shifter is currently wired into a 20 year old Gravis game pad - I bought it for GPL way back when and promptly wore out the sticks!

I've nearly finished the CAD design for a control panel/block to house all the encoders and extra buttons I want/need beyond what the G25 can offer.
I've bought a Bodnar button box PCB to run it all from having heard good things about them.
I'm using this: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=204 as a base plus the matrix board that is intended to accompany it (By the time I've bought enough diodes and wired it all up the £10 extra seems pretty cheap).

If you only want digital inputs he has other options, but I noticed AC has an analogue input available for the handbrake - so the hand brake I had nearly finished designing has been put on hold ready for an analogue upgrade
It's about time i tried out the drifting modes Cheesy

I'm hoping to be at a point where I've assembled enough to test it towards the end of next week, so can update you then if you like.
My only gripe so far is that the matrix board doesn't come with an PCB spacers, so I'm having to turn my own to suit the enclosure it's going into...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:23:29 PM +0100 by FullMetalGasket » Logged
SRW
Sunday Supremo
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 10:48:10 PM +0100 »

I have made my own button box using a black plastic enclosure from maplins (you can get similar stuff from CPC now that maplins is no more). I am controlling it using the following pcb which has 24 DI's:

https://www.symprojects.com/categories-joystick-controllers/jc24-joystick-controller

I also bought the toggle switches and buttons from this place.

FYI it works ok with RRE/AC/ACC
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 12:34:27 AM +0100 »

Is that an X-box controller? Grin

Yes, a 360 controller I had spare.

I've nearly finished the CAD design for a control panel/block to house all the encoders and extra buttons I want/need beyond what the G25 can offer.

I am using a G27 but I'm going to pick up the USB adaptor so I can use the G25 shifter with it and get back the sequential option.

I printed an overlay that sits over the shifter buttons and reminds me what each button does (Turbo +/-, TC +/- etc).

If you only want digital inputs he has other options, but I noticed AC has an analogue input available for the handbrake - so the hand brake I had nearly finished designing has been put on hold ready for an analogue upgrade

There are quite a few videos on Youtube about making analog handbrakes but I don't see me ever using one so I'm holding off for now. I also have to set things up every time I drive at the moment as I'm just using my desk. Eventually I will get a proper seat, though I can run GPL and a few other things in the sit down arcade cab I am refurbing. Sega Rally plays really well and Ferrari F255 Challenge is amazing.

The speakers are great too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnMz0CM3hMs

I'm hoping to be at a point where I've assembled enough to test it towards the end of next week, so can update you then if you like.

Yeah, I'd like to see it.

I have made my own button box using a black plastic enclosure from maplins (you can get similar stuff from CPC now that maplins is no more). I am controlling it using the following pcb which has 24 DI's:

Nice.

I usually go cheap and make controls using a keyboard hack, I've got them in a couple of arcade cabs and a video pinball that's being built. Ples, I've got quite a few arcade buttons lying around from various projects.

Baikal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 02:35:33 AM +0100 »

Some time ago i've recieved a gift from my friend- TH-8A H shifter and... remade  my G27 shifter with the addition of 2 buttons. Now the whole complex is optimally located in my work space. Smiley
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak1p1lvvrjvlqnd/IMG_7175.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvskxp7ckk9d7pk/IMG_7210.JPG?dl=0

SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 03:38:31 AM +0100 »

Isn't it easier to buy a wireless numpad and put stickers on that what each button does? Might not look as great, but seems easier and cheaper  Tongue.
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 08:46:31 AM +0100 »

Isn't it easier to buy a wireless numpad and put stickers on that what each button does? Might not look as great, but seems easier and cheaper  Tongue.

AC sees it as a keyboard and will let you map the buttons in the menu but they won't work in game. That's what I tried first, a keyboard hack as I already had one done, but then had to change to the XBox 360 controller.

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 10:43:10 AM +0100 »

AC sees it as a keyboard and will let you map the buttons in the menu but they won't work in game. That's what I tried first, a keyboard hack as I already had one done, but then had to change to the XBox 360 controller.

Ah thanks, another amazing coding by Kunos  Roll Eyes.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 05:44:36 PM +0100 »

This has taken slightly longer than I expected - I can only work on the design over my lunch breaks, and had some un-planned meetings pop up that kept me away (I only have 3 lunch breaks a week in the office which also slows things down...).

Anyway, on Thursday the design was complete so I cut the various panels out and took it home for a test build.
That didn't go too well as I then discovered a couple of points where I'd miss-toleranced so it wouldn't go together, all were quick to alter so the offending articles were re-cut on Friday and taken home again..

It's still only a 'dry' build at the moment as I need to tap some holes for the clamping mechanism, which means I can't glue it together or finish tidying the wiring yet - but I've plumbed in all of the rear expansion connectors which allows me to add the home made sequential.
And I've also bodged the dual-encoder onto the end of the cable which will eventually connect a floor mounted H-pattern to the setup (the encoder will be wired internally once I'm at a stage where I can complete the build (next week!)).

It's slightly annoying at the moment as I'm not used to it - which makes finding it in the Rift quite hard, especially as it's currently unglued so the button panel tends to get knocked off/apart by my flailing hands Cheesy
Once it's glued and I'm used to it I'm sure it'll be worth it's weight in gold.

In total the button panel itself has 4 encoders (2 single, 1 dual - all with integrated push buttons), 2 toggle switches, and 2 push buttons.
The connectors on the rear also allow for the sequential stick, a 6+reverse H-pattern (not started on yet), and a handbrake with inputs for both analogue and digital feedback (design mostly complete).
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 06:49:36 PM +0100 »

nice work fmg. Ive got loads of buttons on the fanatec Gt sport wheel but its like blind mans bluff with the Rift on  Grin

MaxVeloce
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 07:32:56 PM +0100 »

Nice.  having a proper button box is a lifesaver in VR once you get used to it,  I can always find the right switch by feel now  Smiley

I like the shifter too, you made that yourself?
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 09:48:30 PM +0100 »

Yeah, shifter was designed on some post-its and then in CAD, then machined on a manual mill (mostly) and on a lathe for the remainder.
All of it baring the gear knob (authentic NISMO knob taken from the 180 when I made a better one) is made from scrap that was going into the bin at work  Smiley

I have the parts and idea for an improved version, but that will have to wait for the other two projects.
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 12:31:23 AM +0100 »

Looks great Tim.

I bit more effort gone into design and build than my repurposed wooden box.

The problem for me is I have to break everything down between sessionsb at the moment because I work on the PC for other things and my house is on the market.

Great work though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com