The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

March 28, 2024, 05:01:33 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • GTR Special - Imola: May 31, 2006
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: GTR Special - Imola - 31st May  (Read 11656 times)
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2006, 08:20:57 PM +0100 »

I would ditch Anderstorp and have Road America instead. Possible?  Smiley

TT
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2006, 08:27:52 PM +0100 »

Imola is bit too bumpy imo.

Bumps are an essential part of a challenging race track. Tongue Too many F1 circutis have been dumbed down by smoothing the surface out.  Undecided

Racing fast cars shouldn't be easy. Being able to handle whatever a circuit throws at you is the greatest challenge of all.  Cool

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
[ZiP]Tyf
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2006, 01:40:05 AM +0100 »

...I don't want to have to switch tracks if we don't need to because it means squeezing another test race in and there's only really enough contingency for one change.

Wouldn't this be the 1 change then? So far I think this is the most spoken about track after Enna, so maybe good to change it for another one. Or get that version that Jan D. has posted which has better curbing? (I think that's just the other Imola version on tyfdeks.com rt?)

Bumps are an essential part of a challenging race track. Tongue Too many F1 circutis have been dumbed down by smoothing the surface out.  Undecided

Racing fast cars shouldn't be easy. Being able to handle whatever a circuit throws at you is the greatest challenge of all.  Cool
Road Atlanta and Mosport it is then Wink.

Cool

T
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2006, 08:06:13 AM +0100 »

...I don't want to have to switch tracks if we don't need to because it means squeezing another test race in and there's only really enough contingency for one change.

Wouldn't this be the 1 change then? So far I think this is the most spoken about track after Enna, so maybe good to change it for another one.

My point is that with so little contingency, we can only afford to change if we really, genuinely, absolutely have to. So far I've not seen a single concrete piece of evidence that there's actually anything wrong with the version of Imola we used, other than people being unwilling or unable to set their cars up properly and use the full width of available track.

It's was noticable in the GTL race at Imola last night that almost everyone was using the full width of the road - exactly what Ruskus was doing in GTR, except for the first fliying lap when he tried to take too much curb at Variante Alta and spun anyway. I've already suggested in the corner cutting thread a small rule clarification which will prevent abuse of the flat curbs, and it would be a real shame to throw away a fast, challenging, technical track just because most people are scared of curbs. Tongue

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2006, 08:28:28 AM +0100 »

It's was noticable in the GTL race at Imola last night that almost everyone was using the full width of the road - exactly what Ruskus was doing in GTR, except for the first fliying lap when he tried to take too much curb at Variante Alta and spun anyway. I've already suggested in the corner cutting thread a small rule clarification which will prevent abuse of the flat curbs, and it would be a real shame to throw away a fast, challenging, technical track just because most people are scared of curbs. Tongue

Amen Grin

Yeah, in the first flying lap I was trying to do it clean, and I spun Lips Sealed. So I threw that silly idea overboard and continued my style Wink.
Imola has so many points where you can win time, like Peter said in the GTL Imola thread. It's all about exit speed in those long sweeping chicanes and that tight hairpin. It is a very technical track, which is huge amount of fun. It's also one of the best looking GTR tracks.
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2006, 09:08:49 AM +0100 »

I agree with this version of Imola. You have to risk to ride a kerb - more kerb, more risk. Its the same with that chicane in Donington - if you take too much kerb OR not enough it will disturb a car and slow it down, if not cause a spin.

AND: its pure fun and adrenaline if you go straight in a chicane and you're not completely sure you're gonna make it.  Grin

TT

P.S. Why don't we go straight in the Esses in Oschers? Because the track doesn't allow it. At least, I can't go. I tried it.  Embarrassed   Grin
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2006, 09:48:41 AM +0100 »

Wasnt the whole beef with Imola to do with people extremely cutting corners and blatantly skipping out the chicane?...as opposed to being 'scared of kerbs'  Sad
Why use a track that is allowing people to manipulate a shortcoming in the add-on track design?

I love the Imola layout as a track to race on, but i already feel aggrieved that i could have wasted 40 mins in the fun race the other night because i wasnt trying anything that would be counted as illegal in a real race, to my detriment it would seem  Roll Eyes whilst others blatantly did it to gain an extra 1-2 seconds a lap, perhaps.  Huh
So what happens when we do a 80 minute race..do i have to 'cheat' like everyone else to be competitive?...its not why i race this sim. Angry

Can somebody explain just exactly what 'cutting' went on during the race?..and did people actually cut out the chicane or just straightline it ?  I havent seen a replay and i am at work. Dont want to do any finger pointing just want to make sure i am not giving myself the hump over this unnecessarily. euro wheelchair

Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2006, 09:53:34 AM +0100 »

But Mark, people weren't blatantly skipping out of the chicane, unless I've been watching the wrong bits. There was the odd lap were people got it wrong, but they were very much the exception rather than the rule. If you know of anyone who DID exploit it then please report them to a mod. I would also question whether anyone was gaining 1-2 secs a lap.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2006, 09:59:29 AM +0100 »

Why use a track that is allowing people to manipulate a shortcoming in the add-on track design?

You could say the same about some of the standard tracks - that runoff area that everyone uses at Oshers, or the bus stop at Spa being obvious examples.

There are expectations in this league that drivers will exercise a basic level of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct. There's been no evidence presented on the basis of Wednesday's race that those expectations have not been met.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Rich_A

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2006, 10:19:22 AM +0100 »

Cutting at Bus Stop is slower usually unless you cut it by going all on the grass for both apexs but then there's the risk of it flipping out.

I watched you Ruskus at Imola a couple of times, looked ok.. only problem I have is I don't know how it's done lol, I think some kind of super fast reactions and somehow getting the weight going left even before the second apex!!. There's some funny cambers and undulations on that chicane and second apex is blind. Not my type of turn at all!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 10:21:43 AM +0100 by Rich_A » Logged

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2006, 10:22:58 AM +0100 »

Getting back to the original reason for this race, I've not heard of any technical problems with running this track online with our addon cars, is that correct?
(i.e. there were no obvious bugs in the track)

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2006, 10:29:17 AM +0100 »

Okay guys, i will drop my concerns for now, like i said, i havent actually seen the replay to comment further, though i intend to for peace of mind  Roll Eyes
I was just concerned that if we allowed discretions like this to creep in, before we know it this league would de-generate into a 'public server' type free for all or people will believe they can gain the advantage by pushing the boundaries of fair play. angel ninja

tank

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2006, 05:30:27 PM +0100 »

only problem I have is I don't know how it's done lol...

Close your eyes and pray Wink.

I appraoch the chicane in high 4th gear. I brake later then the black racing line, can't really tell when (just before 50m sign?). I steer in for the first part, and when I'm on that forst part, or even just before that, I steer to the left, aiming for the 2nd part. Because of the bump the car will react very late, but when you "land" the car will start to have lot's of grip so you can immediatly floor it right after, using the full green of the kerb afterwards. Don't do too wide there, on the white, or you'll get a warning.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com