by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 01:02:04 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L19XMAS Dundrod: December 30, 2019
December 30, 2019, 07:42:39 PM +0000 - Dundrod - UKGTL Season 19 2019 Christmas Special
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Austin-Healey 100S (#44) GTC-65 3 +3.877
107.468mph
1 2:28:48.856
104.687mph
35 4:07.756
107.795mph
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
Jaguar D-Type (#6) GTC-65 4 +6.699
106.261mph
2 +1L
101.068mph
34 4:12.218
105.888mph
Dunlop  
Bob M.
  OLD SCHOOL RACING TEAM
Mercedes 300SLR (#1) GTC-65 3 +6L 29 4:19.059
103.091mph
suspension
Dunlop  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Mercedes 300SLR (#3) GTC-65 6 +15.720
102.579mph
4 +8L 27 4:13.609
105.307mph
unknown
Dunlop  
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Austin-Healey 100S (#32) GTC-65 2 +3.766
107.516mph
5 27 4:06.389
108.393mph
unknown
Dunlop  
seniordan
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Aston Martin DBR1 (#2) GTC-65 5 +6.893
106.179mph
6 +24L 11 4:10.638
106.555mph
unknown
Dunlop  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Jaguar D-Type (#7) GTC-65 7 +28L 7 4:08.792
107.346mph
unknown
Dunlop  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Mercedes 300SLR (#2) GTC-65 8 +30L 5 4:22.505
101.738mph
suspension
Dunlop  
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Austin-Healey 100S (#26) GTC-65 1 4:04.633
109.171mph
+35L 0 ---
---
suspension
Dunlop  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 19 2019 Christmas Special - Dundrod - Dec 30  (Read 3237 times)
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2019, 06:57:15 PM +0000 »

Sounds very weird Clive.  Have you tried going into GTL 'Options' and then 'Controls', where there are 'bars' showing the input from the controllers, and then checked if the steering wheel looks normal, as you turn it left & right ?
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2019, 07:11:45 PM +0000 »

Yeah, Erling is right. You should always re-configure the steering and pedals. I sometimes lose the brakes and clutch in my GTL but a quick re-configure sorts it.

If that fails try this. Type into windows search  "set up USB game controllers" and you will find an app where you can set up things like steering lock and other useful stuff.

Hope something here helps.

Does the problem occur with any other car?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:13:48 PM +0000 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2019, 07:29:13 PM +0000 »

Thanks Erling, and Tony.

Yes, I have tried a few adjustments on those sliders. nothing too dramatic, but it did not appear to make much difference. Undecided

TBH it does not make a lot of sense, as the steering appears fully functional , except of course when I really expect it to do something and turn the car??!!!

When I have time I am going to check the brake balance/efficiency settings and maybe the "dead zone" on the brake pedal. It occurs to me that the symptoms are as if I had locked the brakes? Although I am sure I lifted off the brake pedal, it is just possible that my foot was maybe just touching it and that it blocked the brakes and the steering?? It might be a long shot but worth checking out.  Roll Eyes

I will give the USB thing a try. It all seems a little odd???  Thankyou Microsoft .

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2019, 09:15:58 PM +0000 »

Umm There's a setting somewhere in there about having the pedals work together or independant
not sure of the wording, but if that's isnt right you will get that sort of effect

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2019, 12:27:46 AM +0000 »

Umm There's a setting somewhere in there about having the pedals work together or independant
not sure of the wording, but if that's isnt right you will get that sort of effect
I think Matt might mean "Dual Axis" which IIRC is a tickbox in the Windows USB app (as mentioned above). I think it should be unticked.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2019, 01:00:05 PM +0000 »

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
I had a race on Sunday evening with UKGPL and although the strength of the FF was slightly greater than I had been used to ( easy to fix  Wink ) I had zero issues in a 50 minute race at St Jovite, which is a track that will test any steering system!!
I therefore concluded that whatever is amiss it is somewhere within the Logitech-GTL interface.

I have spent about an hour on the server at Dundrod, starting from where I was yesterday and dozens of restarts from the pits to Leatherstown Corner where the anomaly really shows itself.

Once again, despite having negotiated the fast curves quite happily, the car simply ploughed straight on at the first proper corner??!! I ran it a couple of times at various approach speeds and the result was the same  Huh
First I tried Tony's "USB Controller" suggestion and we get an almost duplicate of the Logitech software options ( I did check, and changing parameters in either Logitech or the Win USB window adjusts values in the other ) Ran through all of the variables and tweaked the values also confirmed that the dual axis pedal box was unticked, as I am sure that it has been for many years.

Returned to Dundrod and the results were no different?? It made me wonder if it was actually the car setup, although that did seem a little unlikely given that everything appeared to be working on the controller setup. Tried a few adjustments to diff/toe in/toe out/ shocks/castor angle etc. simply to see if there was any discernible difference.....nope!!!

OK lets go through the CONTROLS menu and see if there is anything that looks suspect in there.
Ran through all of the SENSITIVITY/DEAD ZONE/EFFICIENCY etc and set them at max values. Obviously the SHIFT UP/SHIFT DOWN  was OK as I had used that on the way to Leatherstown Corner.
Nothing looked particularly odd except that the brake accelerator sensitivity was at 69%??, not something I can ever recall adjusting, so I set that back at 100%

Still no joy   Undecided, the sensation at the corner was as if someone had placed a toboggan under the front axle lifting the wheels clear of the ground. the car showed zero inclination to turn and simply went straight ahead until it stopped even with full RH lock applied ………….very odd?
I decided to go through every single "in game setting" and doublecheck/reset each one to be sure that there were no anomalies.

Oddly, I did come across the boxes where the BRAKE and CLUTCH functions are allocated ( not something that I had looked at since the Win10 update) and when I went through the allocation process, highlighting the function and depressing the relevant pedal/button, it became apparent that these functions had been reset to default and not to the correct axis within my G25 setup. Of course, the Logitech Profiler and the USB pages indicated that the pedals were working correctly, but GTL was not accepting those inputs??
I correctly assigned those values and returned to the Dundrod pits for yet another run ( I know that start finish straight very well by now!!  Roll Eyes )

This time we had steering response, and although TBH I made a total horlicks of the corner, we were in danger of successfully negotiating that hurdle at Leatherstown for the first time since the update Grin

Looking back at this I am still slightly mystified. The steering parameter within GTL was correct, and therefore I should have expected the front wheels to try and turn the nose of the car at whatever speed I arrived at the corner. It certainly "felt" as if the brakes were slowing me on the approach to Leatherstown, (but I was downshifting too, so maybe???) and I would have judged my speed as slow enough to make the corner quite safely and sweep through. Plus, I am sure that on the few rare occasions where I squeaked around that corner at walking pace, I was checking the brake temps later in the lap and they showed as having some temp??!!
Anyhoo, re-setting the BRAKE and CLUTCH channels appears to have resolved this dilemma, although I cannot quite see how that manifested itself as a STEERING issue.

Whatever semi workable setup I had from Friday is now so totally trashed and modified that I will have to start again from the default. Plus I need to adjust the DEAD ZONES and SENSITIVITY etc  back to a comfortable level.  At least we have a month to find some time for that little exercise.

BTW, for what it is worth I was getting a 4:20'ish lap time on full tanks before Win 10 put a spanner into the steering. This would indicate a race length of 35 laps approaching 2.5 hours?? Am I exceptionally slow, or is it really going to be an all night race?? also occurs to me that Tony might have arranged this race to go into the night?

As far as the pitstops are concerned, can I throw in an observation here...… Cheesy
Back in the day, there would have been NO pit lane speed limit and each drivers self preservation instincts would have dictated his entry and exit speeds from the pits. Also cars passing the pits would have kept well to the left to give room for emerging cars. Just wonder if having a limiter free pits might add an extra bit of spice? You will still have to get slow enough to engage your pit crew AND avoid other cars entering/exiting the pit at speed, plus cars will not emerge onto the track at walking pace, they will at least have picked up some speed as they rejoin? Each driver would still be responsible for their own "safe" conduct.
 Just a thought, having spent so much time amongst those canvas pits recently. Roll Eyes

Rank   Only when I sweat
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2019, 01:28:23 PM +0000 »

I know that essentially you are not directly racing me Clive, but my best so far in the Healey is 4.11.7 on full tank of fuel.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2019, 03:31:43 PM +0000 »

@ Clive, well done getting those issues sorted.

With cuts off I think you can do away with the pit speed limiter, but this needs to be tested in practice. I do know that you have to pass by the white overall guy near the pit entrance to trigger you pit crew to appear.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2019, 03:34:57 PM +0000 »

I know that essentially you are not directly racing me Clive, but my best so far in the Healey is 4.11.7 on full tank of fuel.
That's insane  Shocked
My best in these is 10secs slower.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2019, 03:41:33 PM +0000 »

LOL well I fully expected that you would be quicker than my efforts! From past experience the Healey is just a more comfortable car to drive, and that translates into faster laptimes.
I hope to do some pre race practice and get the D-type tank to drive in a more predictable manner, which hopefully will drag the laptimes down a little.
After all of the messing about with settings etc. over the weekend I realised that I have lost my way a little and have to start again in my efforts to get the car sorted to my liking. If it were just a sprint race I might be able to wrestle the thing around and nail a fast time, but this is a true endurance event and I do not intend to be "fighting" the car for 2.5hrs!! I might be a little masochistic in terms of some of my car choices, but I'm not quite that crazy!!

Rank   Only when I sweat
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2019, 04:05:11 PM +0000 »

LOL well I fully expected that you would be quicker than my efforts! From past experience the Healey is just a more comfortable car to drive, and that translates into faster laptimes.

To be honest I'm glad you are in the D-type & not me. It is not a car I like too much, goes well in a straight line but does not corner or brake well, braking in particular was one of the real car's strengths I believe, having discs rather than the drums that other cars of the era had.

Although 4.11 is achievable I think race pace will be around 4.16-4.18, otherwise you are risking a big 'off'. I expect the Merc will be quicker.
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2019, 04:31:33 PM +0000 »

My best on race fuel is a direct mirror of Geoffers - 4:11 something, and a little quicker with a lighter load  Wink
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2019, 07:08:59 PM +0000 »

To be honest I'm glad you are in the D-type & not me. It is not a car I like too much, goes well in a straight line but does not corner or brake well, braking in particular was one of the real car's strengths I believe, having discs rather than the drums that other cars of the era had.

Although 4.11 is achievable I think race pace will be around 4.16-4.18, otherwise you are risking a big 'off'. I expect the Merc will be quicker.

I strongly suspect that Arnold has already sold the disc brakes in order to generate some beer money for the festive season  Undecided. I cannot say that I have noticed any remarkable retardation with my D-type, except when a tree or lamp post offers assistance  Roll Eyes. But I think I agree that a race like this is going to be hare and tortoise, or marathon not sprint? There are no run off areas on this circuit and, from experience in GPL, any mistakes incur a harsh penalty  Sad

Rank   Only when I sweat
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2019, 01:25:45 PM +0000 »

OK settle down at the back  nono nono. I want no tittering, smirking or laughing out loud, as I report my latest adventures with the D-type at Dundrod.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I thought that this morning I might try and balance up the Force Feedback/Damping/Centering Spring etc. and try and get the feel of the old setup, and that seemed a perfectly normal and proper thing to do.

I did mention in an earlier post that Tony might be sneaking in some night time running?, so I decided that I also had better assign a control to switch on the headlights. That was easy and I opted for the RH flappy paddle as the most convenient as I don't use it for gearchanges preferring the G25 sequential shift for that job. A quick test in the pits and one temporarily blinded pit crew manager later, we were good to go on a test run.

The plan was to circulate at a steady pace and adjust the FF settings little by little. The forces were all a little heavy, which I knew, but I wanted to get the tyres up to working temps so that everything would be "normalised" for racing.

Up to speed and barrelling along a straight with the 6 cylinder engine singing under the bonnet and I thought "Ooh! lets see what the headlights look like at speed".

Apparently the 1955 D-type Jaguar has some of the most energy demanding full beam bulbs that science has ever created!!! The demand for power was so great that it caused the steering to wobble uncontrollably with full Feedback  scared scared scared as I fought the heavy FF and I ended up in a 360 degree spin and parked in a field!!!??

"Wot???!!!! I can't believe what just happened!!!!!" Let's try that again but this time I will be ready for it...I thought. Undecided

Up to speed, flick the paddle for headlights and hang on for dear life as the steering bucks and wobbles. The anomoly continued for about 5 secs and then stopped with the lights on and everything calm, by which time I had hit both sides of the road and flattened a good few metres of hedge. scared scared The same weird thing happens when I turn lights OFF??

Why the heck the paddle which is assigned to headlight function should affect the steering is just beyond me. If it had caused a random gearchange that would be much more logical.

I have taken a break and am enjoying a calming cup of coffee before considering doing battle with the ruddy thing again. My only idea is that the FF is currently set too high and any input through the controls is spiking a response, but that is just my technophobic brain's best excuse so far.

I told you "NO Laughing!!!"  nono nono nono

You could not make it up, could you???  Undecided

Rank   Only when I sweat
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2019, 02:48:02 PM +0000 »

Half the fun of setting up Christmas Specials is the certain knowledge that it will cause Clive grief  devil  Wink

FWIW my headlamp is controlled by the top left button on my G27 wheel. maybe try that?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:49:43 PM +0000 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com