The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 06:25:18 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • A15F1 Zandvoort: January 29, 2020
January 29, 2020, 09:00:00 PM +0000 - Zandvoort (GP) - UKAC Season 15 F1 1975
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
FullMetalGasket
 Black Night Racing
Hesketh 308b Formula 1 1 1:35.418
---
1 45:45.979
---
28 1:36.926
---
Goodyear  
Mark J
 Legends Racing
Brabham BT44 Formula 1 4 +1.122
---
2 +34.543
---
28 1:37.071
---
Goodyear  
Max .
 Veloce Corse
McLaren MP23 Formula 1 3 +1.078
---
3 +37.211
---
28 1:37.476
---
Goodyear  
Fabri Fibra
 Magnesium Team
Ferrari 312T Formula 1 2 +0.524
---
4 +41.275
---
28 1:37.334
---
Goodyear  
IbnSolmyr

Surtees TS16 Formula 1 6 +2.173
---
5 +50.615
---
28 1:38.042
---
Goodyear  
vva_avv

Tyrrell P34 Formula 1 5 +1.891
---
6 +50.757
---
28 1:37.727
---
Goodyear  
Stefan aka Postal
 Legends Racing
Brabham BT44 Formula 1 8 +2.444
---
7 +1:00.713
---
28 1:38.421
---
Goodyear  
KDiesel

BRM P201 Formula 1 7 +2.231
---
8 +1:07.855
---
28 1:38.564
---
Goodyear  
L4de

Lotus 72E Formula 1 9 +3.101
---
9 +1:11.259
---
28 1:38.419
---
Goodyear  
LesN

March 751 Formula 1 10 +3.905
---
10 +1L
---
27 1:40.455
---
Goodyear  
SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
Assetto Corsa
Formula 1
1:35.418
---
FullMetalGasket
Qualifying
Hesketh 308bJanuary 29, 2020, 09:00:00 PM +0000
A15F1
Assetto Corsa
Formula 1
1:36.926
---
FullMetalGasket
Race
Hesketh 308bJanuary 29, 2020, 09:00:00 PM +0000
A15F1
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKAC Season 15 F1 1975 - Round 8 - Zandvoort - Jan 29  (Read 1607 times)
MaxVeloce
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2020, 11:15:09 AM +0000 »

missing team logos for the results list, hope they will work

Hesketh -

Surtees -

Tyrrell -

March -
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2020, 12:44:04 PM +0000 »

You will probably need to pm Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer to get these included in the results.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

KDiesel

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2020, 01:14:54 PM +0000 »

The overall pace is pretty high, so no real chance of clawing back positions. As a mater of fact I found a very quick BRM on my rear and had to take out all the Zandvoort tricks to keep in front!

Here some impressions from the race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlhTx2RxSqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyN31vLwYQ4

Very good defending there mate, I was much faster but I got no chance to overtake anywhere...  thumbup2
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2020, 01:36:48 PM +0000 »

Very good defending there mate, I was much faster but I got no chance to overtake anywhere...  thumbup2

Cool

School is important, but race cars are importanter
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2020, 03:52:44 PM +0000 »

missing team logos for the results list, hope they will work

Hesketh -

Surtees -

Tyrrell -

March -

Nice job Max, Cool where have you been all season?!  Tongue

MaxVeloce
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2020, 04:19:37 PM +0000 »

I put my bra and panties on, and then for some reason started playing iracing...

eventually I couldn't take any more of that  censored and had to come back to AC  Grin
IbnSolmyr

The fastest guy ever to find a way to be slow.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2020, 05:01:19 PM +0000 »

Was a nice race overall because of the close fights but not good at all, performance wise : my setting/preparation was quite poor.

I did a rather bad start. Then I was chasing Stefan but couldn't find any place to try to overtake him. I love this track, but to me it's a very tough layout to overtake. At a time I braked a bit too late at T1 and had to go in the sand not to hit him. Lost 3 positions (Jari, Vva and Fab). Then got a nice pack action for a few laps behind Fabrizio, in which only the 2 front guys could swap their positions as neither Fab nor me could find any decent opportunity. Then Max joined the party, and we got our contact almost immediately (T1). No problem Max, but yes you can imagine that when your front wheels reached my rear ones, I was placed in my turn yet so that I couldn't see this going to happen.
Then it was the "passing throught the mayhem". Then Fab was closing the gap as he was faster and we got a little contact, quite the same as with Max : unfortunately when your front wheels reached my rear height I was blind about your exact position and reaccelerating yet. Sadly dices were thrown at this time, sorry, classic racing incident. Tires wear was more and more concerning, and Vva closed the gap quite quickly, we got a very little tap T3 but no consequence, then he closed again and that was tough to keep ahead as he was clearly faster.

Congrats to podium guys !

Note : My main problem during this race was the sounds : I can't hear my litle Ford engine as soon as some of the field cars are near, particularly the Brabbham, Williams, Lotus, McLaren so that I'm planning to get back to the stock mod sounds and tune up my settings.. That's a bit of a shame that those re-modded sounds give huge discrepancies in volume. :/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:05:38 PM +0000 by IbnSolmyr » Logged

Also known as "Solmyr"
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2020, 09:47:59 AM +0000 »

I decided to gamble on a low(er) down force setup for this race. I'd experimented with one early in practice and found it was yielding very good laps at the expense of safety (a fast lap requires proper Ronnie Peterson style drifts through all the fast corners Shocked).
Due to my lead I thought why not, as while I expected to walk away from the pack early on I knew the risk of falling off might actually result in a far worse finish position.
As it turned out the tire wear was so high that I think the pack was actually gaining on me through the final 10 minutes, which was quite interesting given my lap speed was only increasing throughout the test race we did when I ran a full downforce understeery setup.

For qualifying though the sketchy low (3/5 wing) setup knocked nearly half a second off my previous best - the only issue is I had to do very slow outlaps to ensure the tires would survive a flying lap. I think I had the rears 1psi too low however, as my best was actually a 2nd lap I decided to press on with as it had taken so much time out of the first sector. I was possibly on for a high 1:24 until I got too much power in the last corner and ended up doing a huge powerslide through it - that cost me about 0.4 of a second and didn't even look very good  Embarrassed

Congrats to Mark and Max on the podium, and well done to all finishers.

Clermont-Ferrand next and that's going to be BUMPY in these!
High and soft guys, especially in the March Wink
IbnSolmyr

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2020, 03:14:15 PM +0000 »

The race was fun for half a dozen laps or so while holding off spinners I managed to get past at the start, but I'm consistently 4 seconds or so off the pace, which means I'm not really racing anyone. I can never find enough time to practice unfortunately, and these cars are not easy to drive. I'm not ready to give up on this series yet, but I'm not sure how to improve at this point...

Hey Lesn, may I ask you what kind of stuff you have as wheels/pedals/gearshift ? Are you sure your pedals are well calibrated ? Can't your wheel FFB be improved ?
I ask because sometimes a lot of problems sit just there.

Also, on the driving style topic, do you heel and toe ? Are you mostly a late or early braker ? Late or early apex ?

Also known as "Solmyr"
LesN

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2020, 06:26:03 PM +0000 »

The race was fun for half a dozen laps or so while holding off spinners I managed to get past at the start, but I'm consistently 4 seconds or so off the pace, which means I'm not really racing anyone. I can never find enough time to practice unfortunately, and these cars are not easy to drive. I'm not ready to give up on this series yet, but I'm not sure how to improve at this point...

Hey Lesn, may I ask you what kind of stuff you have as wheels/pedals/gearshift ? Are you sure your pedals are well calibrated ? Can't your wheel FFB be improved ?

Also, on the driving style topic, do you heel and toe ? Are you mostly a late or early braker ? Late or early apex ?

Hi there!

I use a Thrustmaster T300RS, pro pedals and the TH8 shifter. Recently I followed a guide to calibrate the wheel feedback using a look up table. Whether it makes a lot of difference I'm not sure... My main problem is that since I've moved I still don't have a good seat, so I can never seem to get comfortable braking consistently. If I can claim to have a driving style I'd say I'm mostly I'm late braking, late apex. Never really tried heel and toe.
IbnSolmyr

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2020, 06:36:45 PM +0000 »

Hi there!

I use a Thrustmaster T300RS, pro pedals and the TH8 shifter. Recently I followed a guide to calibrate the wheel feedback using a look up table. Whether it makes a lot of difference I'm not sure... My main problem is that since I've moved I still don't have a good seat, so I can never seem to get comfortable braking consistently. If I can claim to have a driving style I'd say I'm mostly I'm late braking, late apex. Never really tried heel and toe.

I have myself a T500RS, changend the pro pedals for CSP v3, and a TH8. May I share with you my FFB setup ? I improved it until  lately and can now say I'm satisfied. Let me know if you're interested.
About the seat, I can understand you as I also have a precarious installation.. :/
Heel&Toeing would help in keeping enough grip while trying to get the most out of the engine braking.

Also known as "Solmyr"
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2020, 06:40:25 PM +0000 »

Les, if you are a late braker, try reducing the brake pressure setting under 'generic' (I think - same setup tab that has brake balance) you might find you are locking up too much, so reducing that will help prevent that.

Check also tyre temps are all reaching 27 degs, that can make a lot of difference in grip levels in these cars. I tend to find the front right needs +2 pressure and front right -1. The rears are normally okay on default. A bit more camber or toe can help put some heat in the tyres too but don't over-do it.

But really it all boils down to seat-time, more laps practise you do the better you feel what the cars doing and what needs tweaking.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:35:55 PM +0000 by Mark J » Logged

LesN

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2020, 10:53:39 PM +0000 »

Cheers for all the suggestions, I would definitely be interested to try your ffb settings.

For the race at zandvoort, I did reduce the brake pressure settings and that did help. I think probably brake pedal calibration is a thing I should pay more attention to.

Also the seat I'm using is not really well enough fixed to the floor. I'll look at some way to make it more stable.

Thanks for the tip about tyre temps, I wouldn't have known what to look for there
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:58:02 PM +0000 by LesN » Logged
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2020, 09:42:52 AM +0000 »

Mark meant pressures, not temps  Wink

Don't be afraid to adjust your brake bias while you drive. Sometimes you don't need to touch it for an entire race, other times you do. I use it both to maximise braking effort and also as a turning aid to overcome my understeer. If the fronts are locking, go back. If the rears are locking or the car is just too twitchy under brakes - go forward. You need to decide if you're going to pick a happy medium and leave it or actively adjust your bias throughout every lap of the race - sometimes the latter can have massive benefits!

My personal preference is a mildly understeering car and late apex's/early throttle*. My setups are intended to let me reach 100% throttle as early in a corner as I can, this requires a fair amount of patience though as accelerating too early tends to end in Armco Grin It does give slightly better stability under braking though so mistakes aren't as critical as they could be.

*My setup for this race was neutral tending rapidly towards oversteer. Definitely faster over a short distance but much harder to drive and as I mentioned previously I don't think it was actually faster over race distance due to the tire wear.
IbnSolmyr

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2020, 11:39:26 AM +0000 »

You should be able to find it here :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wazk3kyg3ivy0qc/wheel%20settings.rar?dl=0

Notes :
**Don't forget to back-up your own actual settings before testing those.**
I'm set to 1080°.
For these F1 '75 car, when we race, I lower overall forces to 45% in the wheel settings in order to hold the race lenght.

Hope it can help.

Also known as "Solmyr"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com