The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

March 29, 2024, 07:50:48 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • rF Grand UK fun race: September 10, 2006
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: rFactor PCC/ProtoRacer fun race - 10th September 2006 at Watkins Glen  (Read 16034 times)
Nick Phillips
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2006, 08:18:50 PM +0100 »

where are you seeing that server?
cannot see it in game
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2006, 08:20:03 PM +0100 »

Version is 1.150  Smiley

TT
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2006, 08:27:13 PM +0100 »

As TT says we updated to 1.150 when it came out.

Nick, if you can't see the server add a game (plus + I think it is) and enter games.avonrise.co.uk and you should see it

Jamera

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2006, 08:34:06 PM +0100 »

Bugger, thought it had been awhile since I'd played it, downloading now 688mb fingers crossed
JonM_uk

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2006, 09:25:18 PM +0100 »

1.150 I think

Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2006, 10:43:24 PM +0100 »

Sorry Jon  Sad

Cut the crap and lets have standing starts  Angry

TT
JonM_uk

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2006, 10:46:38 PM +0100 »

No my fault TT. I gunned it when I thought Picnic was going but then I think he got the message about accelerating to soon etc. Then I jammed the brakes and.... Shocked Sorry bud. Great stuff in the first race really enjoyed it. The second was a bit cocked but I guess you don't know till you try. Had to go 'cus of time, Zzzzzzzzzzzzz(bedtime) Wink

ginsters sponsored
Grey Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2006, 10:48:36 PM +0100 »

Shame about race 2 (hope Nick didn't hang on for a win  Wink).

Nice format, nice looking cars and good fun in race 1. Worth another go.

Nick Phillips
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2006, 10:57:49 PM +0100 »

First in class SBG!

OK so only one in class, but hey I can work a line on that.

Good fun though, definate potential and looking forward to future events.
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2006, 11:11:02 PM +0100 »

Various replays and results can be downloaded from here

Enjoyed tonight, I actually quite like the Proto stuff which hopefully bodes well for GTR2 as the cars aren't on the knife edge that GTR1 seems to be.

Did some practice earlier but was struggling round in the 37's but on checking the throttle it it appeared I had to press very hard to get 100% in the game, so I tweaked the sensitivity setting in the game, suddenly the 265 kph after the first long run was creeping into the 280's and I snuck into the 35 bracket Smiley

Shame about the pace car problems, being slow and then in the 2nd/3rd races it pulled in but we never got a green flag message Sad Still the Proton and Demon have launch control so who needs a rolling start................... o yes the Porka boys Wink

Roll on the Amorali race to get some more rF fun Smiley

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2006, 10:55:54 AM +0100 »

I have to admit I actually quite enjoyed driving those cars.  Shocked Shocked After getting a proper setup and copying my GTL FF settings the feel was better, although not as good as GTR/GTR2/GTL  Tongue Tongue.

For my taste the Proto and Demons are ever so slightly too fast and the Porkers are ever so slightly too slow, picky I know, never satisfied. I would have prefered something slightly slower than Proto as they're too knife edgy for my tastes.

The pace car speed in rFactor is ridiculous. Can you imagine using it around Spa FFS! I like the idea of a formation lap followed by standing starts (where launch control is available) or our normal pace lap done by ourselves and not the game.

Was suprised to be able to complete that first race with work stuff going on. Had to dash off after the first race due to work committments.

First race was sort of funny Undecided I followed Gizmo through the dirt on the second to last turn on Lap 1 like a true noob sheep  cowboy and practically broke my car in two as I hit the barrier side on at speed. Waited for the whole field including PCCs to go past then spun turn only to find Gizmo doing the same and we span turn into each other. Was comical! I had assumed I was alone.  eek Spent a whole lap in the pits whilst the crew repaired me as well as they could, although when I left the pits my car still had yellow on the status display on every single panel, but the car felt ok. Managed to unlap and retake all the PCCs so ended up at the back of the Protos a lap down with Gizmo close behind.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 10:58:02 AM +0100 by Shark » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2006, 01:06:56 PM +0100 »

The pace car speed in rFactor is ridiculous.

Actually I thought it was really good. I managed to get good heat in the tyres (60-70) and brakes and never felt like I was in danger of having an off doing it.

The nonsense with the lack of green flags in races 2/3 would seem to be a track issue. Since the Protos have launch control a formation lap and standing start is probably the way to go. If only we could manually issue the green flag. Undecided

First race was sort of funny Undecided I followed Gizmo through the dirt on the second to last turn on Lap 1 like a true noob sheep  cowboy and practically broke my car in two as I hit the barrier side on at speed. Waited for the whole field including PCCs to go past then spun turn only to find Gizmo doing the same and we span turn into each other. Was comical! I had assumed I was alone.  eek Spent a whole lap in the pits whilst the crew repaired me as well as they could, although when I left the pits my car still had yellow on the status display on every single panel, but the car felt ok. Managed to unlap and retake all the PCCs so ended up at the back of the Protos a lap down with Gizmo close behind.

Cheesy I can't believe I tried to take that corner in 4th on the first lap, was never going to work and I was far too busy thinking about how to keep TT behind. Roll Eyes Top marks to all the Porsche drivers who, to a man, made life very simple when getting back past them.

I managed to compound my newbie mistake by being too busy faffing with the pit crew control panel going into the pits to actually put the limiter on. Realised straight away that I was going to get a stop and go and just took tyres and a small fuel adjustment and got straight back out, came back for me stop & go, and set off after Shark. Too much damage to the car though and whilst I could match Shark for pace I could never really close the gap. Undecided

Personally I thought that was a really fun combination of cars; the ProtoRacers are fast enough to be scarey but stable enough for me to push them and not fall off constantly. I also thought the speed gap between the PCC and Proto cars was perfect, enough to make it easy and safe to pass under power but not so much as to make it dangerous under braking and mid corner.

If we ran a once a month "Rolex Grand UK" type championship event I wonder if we'd get good turnouts.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2006, 02:00:03 PM +0100 »

The pace car speed in rFactor is ridiculous.

Actually I thought it was really good. I managed to get good heat in the tyres (60-70) and brakes and never felt like I was in danger of having an off doing it.

The nonsense with the lack of green flags in races 2/3 would seem to be a track issue. Since the Protos have launch control a formation lap and standing start is probably the way to go. If only we could manually issue the green flag. Undecided

We were having to be 2 abreast so weaving is dangerous.

It's just plain boring going round at 40mph for 5 minutes on a pace lap.

Don't see how having a pace car is any better than doing our own faster formation lap in single file.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2006, 02:04:23 PM +0100 »

I seemed to manage it okay as did others.

Don't see how having a pace car is any better than doing our own faster formation lap in single file.

The big plus from an admin point of view is that rFactor correctly records the race laps and so on as it knows the difference between the pace lap and a race lap. In GTR and GTL all our numbers (lap counts, average speeds and so on) are strictly speaking wrong because the game doesn't know we're doing our own pace lap.

It also means (when it works) that it polices the start itself instead of us having to look at the replay to see if anyone went early.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2006, 02:45:18 PM +0100 »

Sorry, but..

1) The pace car is simply too slow to use.
2) Double file pace lap is dangerous for online racing.

A pace lap at 40mph is a complete waste of time, you cannot, without doing some seriously dangerous weaving and sharp braking and accelerating (something we have a rule against!!) for the entire lap, and letting off plumes of dangerous smoke from braking, warm up anything for it to be worth doing when we end up still really compact in double file going really slowly. You may as well just have a standing start.

So what if the first lap is counted as a race lap? What difference does it make?

Pace laps are to make sure the field is spread and moving to avoid the massive T1 shunts and people who cannot control wheel spin off a standing start, not to warm stuff up. There is no need to warm anything up if people show caution on lap 1.

I seemed to manage it okay as did others.

The big plus from an admin point of view is that rFactor correctly records the race laps and so on as it knows the difference between the pace lap and a race lap. In GTR and GTL all our numbers (lap counts, average speeds and so on) are strictly speaking wrong because the game doesn't know we're doing our own pace lap.

It also means (when it works) that it polices the start itself instead of us having to look at the replay to see if anyone went early.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com