The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 19, 2024, 11:40:13 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Patch update  (Read 16856 times)
Don
Blue and Orange Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2008, 07:56:36 AM +0000 »

I gave it a go, but wasn't that impressed. I guess it's horses for courses.
EdamSpeed
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2008, 10:11:42 AM +0000 »

This is not just a private chat by the way, I beat the cwap outta Edam tonight Wink He seemed to enjoy it?

Er, excuuuuuse me? Who beat you and won the first race? Grin

Last night was the first time nk Pro actually worked properly for me. Now I realise what was going on in the previous versions - the 'latency' for want of a better word was just too much to actually drive the cars.

For instance, with 1.0.2 and previous, actually even shifting gears in the 1600 and 1800 was hit-and-miss for me. Last night was the first time when I could do it right and it would actually work (still messed a few up tho Wink ). It's not quite the same as a REAL Formula Ford though, and I rather wish it was - in a real car, you apply pressure to the gear stick, then either tap the clutch pedal to remove drive from the dog gears, or you back off the throttle for a moment, which does the same thing. Then the 'box just 'snicks' into the next gear. It's a lovely feeling when you do it right. Most dog boxes are the same.

What I'd love to see in nkPro is a control method where you could hold down the shifter/paddle/whatever, then just ease off the throttle to get the next gear. It doesn't work like that though - I did try - you need to back off, click the shifter/paddle, then make sure it engages before flooring the throttle again. Note that this is with the auto clutch - I'm sure it's probably easier with a real shifter, but some of us haven't got around to that level of sophistication yet Wink

Anyway, I digress. A lot of the problem for me I reckon was framerates. The control system is dependant on the frame rate, as Stefano has rather foolishly coded the controler poller into the main display loop, so the controller is only polled when the screen is refreshed. Obviously that means if you suffer from low frames, you'll quickly lose control of the car. It's actually pretty much the same in Simbin's titles I think, but somehow seems to be much more obvious in nK.

I also think that there's more 'lag' or latency in the controller than in Simbin's titles. Hard to put my finger on it, but when trying to recover a slide, there's a perceivable lag in response from the car. Stefano's been mentioning controller/USB lag on RSC recently, and I'm wondering if this is something that's been made worse by the reintroduction of flat spots... This is where Ginsters and Mo(?) perhaps have an advantage over me, because IIRC they use non-FF wheels.

Anyway, I suck at single seaters. I'm still longing for the day that nkPro gets a tin-top. Doesn't matter what. Had great fun with Namie (Nk 0.99) and the Ferarri, but last night came pretty close to re-creating that actually! Really smooth framerates, good net code, close racing, and a track like Aviano, with it's flowing curves and unexpected bumps really reminds me of the old racing at Newbury/Crystal Palace/Lime Rock. Apart from the slight lag, the feedback from the wheel is pretty good, and gives a really good sensation of the bumps.

The other problem I had with 1.0.2 and before is that the default setup was just pathetic, particularly with the lower-end formula cars (nosedive city under braking!). 1.0.3 sees a much better default set, provided by Jaap Wagenvoort, which is really nice, and is an absolute must for numpties like me who can't set up a car (or don't want to, or haven't got time to). Shame about some settings like FOV, seat position STILL being part of the loadable set up, but at least you can now load/save set up from the actual game, rather than the bloody Windows interface.

Speaking of FOV, what do others use? I found the default of 60 just too narrow for my tastes. I found I could see corners better with FOV set to at least 70 ( I can see my own tyres then!), and seat height at +0.020 (or some odd figure like that)

So yeah, I think I'll be playing it more in future, now that the net code is fixed, and some of the more intolerable bugs have been removed. Still a long way to go though, and I hope the next patch doesn't take another 2 years, but you may see me online from time to time.

I can see the 1600/1800 being the weapon of choice online now. Not just because that's the only car you get in the demo, but because it's easy-going, predictable, nice-and-slideable, and slow enough that you don't get into too much trouble. Still pretty damn hard to keep it on the track sometimes though! But over a race, it rewards smooth consistent driving, rather than banzai laps. I like it more than the slicks/wings cars already!
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2008, 04:47:54 PM +0000 »

Speaking of FOV, what do others use? I found the default of 60 just too narrow for my tastes. I found I could see corners better with FOV set to at least 70 ( I can see my own tyres then!), and seat height at +0.020 (or some odd figure like that)

That is one of the difficulties I'm having. I always like to use a FOV setting of around 50 deg or even lower if possible. I find this gives a more realistic view of the track and I'm better able to judge distances. As mentioned though it is always a good idea to be able to see your own wheels, or at least a small part of them, so this is normally the compromise I have. In most games this still allows settings of 50-55 to be used but in this sim i've ended up at 62 deg with the seat then as far back as it will go so that I see some of the front wheels. Of course a nice three monitor setup would solve all these problems!! Smiley
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2008, 05:31:42 PM +0000 »

I've totally lost my way with this. I was doing 1:06's at Newbury in my very first sessions, although I still felt very slow and unfamiliar with this game. Since then I've tinkered with FF and I'm only getting slower, 1:08's if I'm lucky. In desperation I loaded the base settings again but I'm even worse, 1:10's, 1:11's!!

I think I'm going to leave it for a while.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com