The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 29, 2024, 02:06:26 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 19.8 2020  (Read 289 times)
KDiesel

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2020, 02:29:41 PM +0100 »

Howdy, is there any kind of race tomorrow?
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 04:49:51 PM +0100 »

Sorry, due to work stuff I've been to busy too put one together (Still haven't had time for an announcement thread for the nexrt proper series either Embarrassed ).
There'll be a fun race next week, and probably the week after, and then a new series based on this old one from season 4  Smiley
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 07:23:53 AM +0100 »

no problemo Tim. It is nice weather for riding my bike tonight! We will race again next week.

School is important, but race cars are importanter
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 10:39:32 AM +0100 »

and I've got a new flight simulator to play with  Roll Eyes

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 02:39:10 PM +0100 »

What are you flying then?

I had a go with War Thunder to try out my Rift. It is very good fun with VR. Now I need some proper controllers and more spare time!  Grin

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 02:50:31 PM +0100 »

The new Microsoft Flight Simulator that came out yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqJALPVn0Y&t=6s

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 04:54:05 PM +0100 »

At the weekend I found that Xwing Alliance now runs in VR Grin
As it's a 20 year old 32bit program that only runs on a single core it struggles a bit until you turn the details down a lot, but my good it's impressive what the modding community have achieved!

Really looking forward to squadrons when that comes out now
Fabri Fibra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 03:44:11 PM +0100 »

Barone and I play sims from the Il2 series. A few weeks ago a new title was released, Il2 Desert Wings, set in Africa during WWII. Sounds interesting, too bad there aren't too many players at the moment.

Here, I was forced to return without aileron control, after one British Spitfire hit me hard. Fortunately, the landing was successful.  angel

PS: some friends also play Flight Simulator, but I'm not interested in civil flight.
I tryed a bit War Thunder, but it is a bit too arcade, for my taste.

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 07:31:02 AM +0100 »

Nice Fabri. I see there are a lot of IL-2 versions around. Wich one should I try to get my feet wet in air combat flying?

Like a step up from WT would be nice. And I see Battle of Stalingrad is on offer at Steam. However, getting new planes seems more expensive than sim-racing!  Roll Eyes

Fabri Fibra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 03:36:55 PM +0100 »

The first thing to consider is that Il-2 Cliffs of Dover/Desert Wings is different from Il-2 BoX (battle of .....).

Il-2 BoX has more players and it is a bit less sim. than Il-2 CloD/DW. I consider it something between il2 CloD and War Thunder.
The positive thing is certainly that there are many players and full servers, with well-made maps (missions) and many objectives (I mean ground targets), all useful to create a realistic war scenario.
Another positive thing is that to join a server you just need to have also only one plane of those provided by the plane-set and not even the map. So this is different from AC, where you have to have all cars and the track for join a server, and from DCS. So you can avoid buying all the various BoXs. I have only Battle of Stalingrad and Barone has also Battle of Bodenplatte.
The ideal would be to have mid-war and late-war planes, so that you can always have one plane that you can use on any server, covering years from '41 to '45, practically.

Il-2 Cliffs of Dover/Desert Wings is more simulator. The damage model and engine management are definitely superior. The cockpits are more detailed and clickable.
They are set in the Battle of Britain and North Africa respectively.
Its downside is that there are few players and the servers are shit (as do most of the players). But sometimes someone organizes well-done campaigns that are worth participating in.
It is, anyhow, my favorite air sim.

DCS, damn expensive and, at the moment, completely inadequate for WWII.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com