The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 07:10:36 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: rFactor Central going off-line  (Read 3434 times)
Adam Parle
« on: October 04, 2006, 04:05:28 PM +0100 »

Just been over to rFactor Central (have now bought the game, just waiting for it to be delivered on disk), and as the title says, it's looking like it's going offline.

Bit of a concern for me, as I've got no mods at all downloaded.
Woodee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:11:30 PM +0100 »

for good??

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 04:14:11 PM +0100 »

It's still there but due to monthly bandwidth of 70 TB he can't afford to run it so has removed links to the locally hosted downloads

Adam Parle
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 04:15:22 PM +0100 »

Quote:

"04-Oct: The Future of rFactorCentral
rFactorCentral has been a wild ride, but with regard to downloads it grown way beyond the point of being sustainable. Over the coming days the bulk of the rCentral download links will not be available as the way forward is considered.

Over August/September well over 1TB of date PER DAY was served - that's over 70TB for the 2 months combined. In September there were over 2 000 000 page views of the main site. Over 16 000 users are registered, most visiting the site at least once each day.

Less than 0.5% of people who use the site have made a donation towards the cost of providing the service. My thanks go to the relative few that did donate.

Unfortunately I can't afford to continue to pay the running costs and risk huge bandwidth charges. Due the extreme demands re bandwidth of the community and the complexity that surrounds rFactor mods regarding legality I haven't been successful in finding anyone prepared to sponsor the site.

Where to go? I don't know. Torrents are the ideal solution for a community like rFactor, where people donate their bandwidth and share the load of distributing files. Free services like Rapidshare are another option. Or would people be prepared to pay a low monthly/yearly fee to access downloads on rCentral?

Sorry guys for the bad news. It's something we've got to work out as a community - one person can't pay for bandwidth used by 16 000. It has to be a load that is shared by the community. I'll post updates to the home page as they're available. Just to clarify - www.rfactorcentral.com will continue to operate - it's the three file servers that are out of action for now."

70TB of data over 2 months ..... just not enough donations to keep it alive.
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:14:32 AM +0100 »

I have had a few email conversations with Pete(mombassa) about rFCentral and other rF related stuff. He's a good guy and I hope he didnt take too much pain/heat (from the missus) trying to keep it going as he's a real good guy. I know some ppl can't use torrents but they really are the way forward for such things and you should vote with your wallet. It's just so unfair for virtually the whole community to leach off one person. I hope he hooks up with rTracker and then everything will be rosey Smiley

I am selling my Virtual Roadster cockpit on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
iRacing = Matthew Forrester
OSiriS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 12:47:31 AM +0100 »

I'm surprised ISI themselves haven't stepped up to contribute, considering that website is a big part of their business, albeit indirectly.

Phill Kerins
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 09:35:01 AM +0100 »

I have had a few email conversations with Pete(mombassa) about rFCentral and other rF related stuff. He's a good guy and I hope he didnt take too much pain/heat (from the missus) trying to keep it going as he's a real good guy. I know some ppl can't use torrents but they really are the way forward for such things and you should vote with your wallet. It's just so unfair for virtually the whole community to leach off one person. I hope he hooks up with rTracker and then everything will be rosey Smiley

If things went to torrent I for one wouldn't bother downloading anymore. It's not that I can't use torrents, it's that I don't want to. I simply don't trust file sharing anymore. It's a big security hole and I'm not risking my network if I don't have to. If that means I can't download rFactor stuff well I'm not that bothered tbh. As for rapidshare and so on, you can forget that too. Downloading has to be hassle free or people won't do it.

It's not unexpected. A guy starts a great website and finally a single location to get rFactor downloads from and lo and behold everybody starts using it. Like all the mods it is given freely and you choose to use it or not. ISI didn't have the foresight to provide their own community download site and that ultimately is to the detriment of their game and getting any sort of decent following for it.

I'm all for donating to things you use and care about, but you have to ask yourself one question. If the site went down because I didn't donate, would I care really? It's about whether by not contributing you will miss out if it dissapears. For some it would be really bad for them so they choose to donate and others it doesn't mean enough to be worth donating. This is the point of a donation it's up to someone to decide or not and ultimately it boils down to whether enough people care enough to keep it going.

RSC has the same problem. It doesn't make enough through donations, despite having a massive number of members, to survive. If the threat of closing it down if people didn't donate more was given would it suddenly get more donations? I very much doubt it. It would die a death very quickly.

The problem is that I guess most people don't care enough to spend the money. They bought the game, why should they have to pay a subscription to something else to get all the bits they need to play it with everyone else? It's perfectly understandable. This is why GTR2 and out of the box games get better followings as you buy a game and you've got everything you need right there, no extra hassle.

It's a fantastic site and all credit to him, but if it went off-line is it really a big deal? rFactor was around before and will be around after. The hard core rFactor community is very small, the rest of us are just casual players and that is why there will never be enough through donations.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:38:35 AM +0100 by Shark » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 02:15:06 PM +0100 »

Shark I dont feel it is right to lump torrent in with file sharing, just because it is sometimes used for that. so is HTTP. If your really worried about security why not use the official original open source client, infact Azereus is open source too if you want a slightly easier method. But seriously I can't see your security concern is logical on any level except for unless you download dodgy content like viruses, warez etc. The only other side could be maliciously constructed data to get passed the checksums BT does, but that would be super hard, and even harder to make it do something purposeful, and dont forget the zip or rar file has a CRC too. Unless I'm missing something obvious but I don't think I am. In any case. What was the thing about GTR being a mass email harvester, I'd trust Bram Cohen (BT creator) many many times over before I'd trust SimBin

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320742210327 / https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9771.0
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 03:11:30 PM +0100 »

I'd trust Bram Cohen (BT creator) many many times over before I'd trust SimBin

Sorry, but I don't trust anyone I've not met or potentially imaginary people, especially ones wearing funny hats.  Wink Tongue

Wow did you meet Bill Gates too?  Grin
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 05:35:32 PM +0100 by fozzmeister » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 03:18:36 PM +0100 »

lol
 whistling

TT
fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 05:36:15 PM +0100 »

Wow did you meet Bill Gates too?  Grin

fozzmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 11:39:50 AM +0100 »

rFc's downloads have re-opened for people who donate, it only takes a $5 (2 quid something) donation.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com