The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

March 28, 2024, 09:34:24 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • A16 RSR Pau: September 23, 2020
September 23, 2020, 08:46:36 PM +0100 - Pau - UKAC Season 16 RSR Challenge
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
FullMetalGasket
 Black Night Racing
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 1 1:25.626
---
1 32:06.345
---
22 1:26.404
---
Avon  
Fabri Fibra
 Magnesium Team
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 3 +1.958
---
2 +36.324
---
22 1:27.789
---
Avon  
Jos Ogos

Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 6 +3.158
---
3 +54.718
---
22 1:28.365
---
Avon  
Mark J
 Legends Racing
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 5 +2.432
---
4 +55.855
---
22 1:28.060
---
Avon  
Syd Drake
 Drake Racing
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 9 +4.190
---
5 (+1) +1L
---
21 1:30.324
---
Avon  
Stefan aka Postal
 Legends Racing
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 7 +3.253
---
6 +0.191
---
21 1:28.853
---
Avon  
IbnSolmyr

Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 8 +3.598
---
7 +2L
---
20 1:29.625
---
Avon  
Manteos
 Virtual Drivers Alliance
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 2 +1.024
---
8 +7L
---
15 1:26.669
---
Avon  
Lorenzo Galluzzi
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 4 +2.293
---
9 +14L
---
8 1:27.908
---
Avon  
picnic
 Team Shark
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 10 +58.088
---
8 1:32.214
---
Avon  
goldtop
 Kerb Crawlers
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 11 +16L
---
6 1:34.086
---
Avon  
KDiesel

Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC 10 +41.840
---
12 +18L
---
4 1:30.077
---
Avon  
spanner
 Prodigy Racing
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC DNS ---
---
Avon  
frex
 Kerb Crawlers
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC ---
---
Avon  
Bob
 WSL Racing Team
Porsche 911 Carrera RSR PCC ---
---
Avon  

Moderator's Report

Server replay time: 197s

This incident occurred as a result of contact between Lorenzo and Fabri further up the cue of traffic on lap 1 (Quickly redressed by Lorenzo on the following straight) which set in motion a cascade of smaller bumps and check-ups back through the following train of cars in Lycee hairpin.

Looking at the replay and the cascade of contacts that followed I would normally be inclined to call a contact of this sort a racing incident.

The slow/crashed cars ahead WERE visible, and Syd DID change his line and slow to turn inside the near stationary cars.

Unfortunately the contacts to the cars outside of the corner resulted in Stefan being fired across Syd's nose just under a second before the incident happened.
This did provide time to brake, but Syd did not - although the replay also shows that he didn't accelerate more than he had already been and was still turning to avoid Stefan's car.

Even at these speeds it is very likely that the collision would have happened regardless of Syd's braking or not, and Stefan would have been fired nose first into the barriers instead of spun - but the lack of braking, even after initial contact, makes racing incident much harder to apply.

I have reduced the standard penalty from 3 places to 1 as I feel contact was inevitable in this case - however a penalty is appropriate as more could have been done to try and avoid it.

• Syd Drakepenalty — Lack of Care approaching an incident — 1 place lost

SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
Assetto Corsa
PCC
1:25.626
---
FullMetalGasket
Qualifying
Porsche 911 Carrera RSRSeptember 23, 2020, 08:46:36 PM +0100
A16RSR
Assetto Corsa
PCC
1:26.404
---
FullMetalGasket
Race
Porsche 911 Carrera RSRSeptember 23, 2020, 08:46:36 PM +0100
A16RSR
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKAC Season 16 Season 16 RSR Challenge - Pau - Sep 23  (Read 1334 times)
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:49 PM +0100 »

Welcome to round 2 of the Porsche RSR Challenge - This is loosely based on our first outing in these cars several years ago, so expect very short qualifying sessions.
The 1st series featured single lap qualifying which was a bit awkward to monitor, so I will be reducing the qualifying sessions to only allow time for 2 flying laps.
So make sure you have space around you and get a good 'banker' in before you go nuts Wink

Password: see above

Practice: 19:30 (53 mins)
Qual: 20:23 (7 mins)          <- These times to change once I know the lap time
Race: 20:30  (30 mins + 1 lap)

Cars allowed:
1972 Porsche RSR
(Kunos Porsche pack #1 add-on)

Skin pack available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vp9qetzvztkfnk0/RSR%20Skinpack.zip?dl=0
Drop it into your assetto corsa folder - It shouldn't over-write anything unless you already have any of the skins included.

Track: Pau'74
Download link: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/circuit-de-pau-historique-1974.15616/

Live Timing: here

Time of Day Setting: 14:30
Weather: Mid-clear
Start: Standing
Tyre wear: Normal
Fuel consumption: Normal
Pit-stops: Not required

Server track settings:
SESSION_START=100
RANDOMNESS=0
LAP_GAIN=0
SESSION_TRANSFER=N/a

Damage: 60%

Password: see above

PLP App - Not used in this series. Cutting will be monitored on replay and penalties issued for excessive cutting.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 12:46:42 PM +0100 by FullMetalGasket » Logged
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 07:25:58 AM +0100 »

I am so gonna crash a whole lot of 911's on this track!

School is important, but race cars are importanter
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 12:38:37 PM +0100 »

Very appropriatly there is a corner called 'Foch' if you look on the map. Due to an awkwardly placed kurb just after it we'll all smash up a lot of RSR's here  Grin
Syd Drake
Former UKGPL Moderators

Nightwalker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 07:17:42 PM +0100 »

That kink on the start straight is very dangerous as well. Seems like you're driving on the edge of the track, when suddenly you crash head on into hale bales like it's a wall, instant retirement. Stay well off the edge.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 10:14:49 PM +0100 »

Hmm. i'm not sure i want to do that..

The second hairpin has bales on the outside that are in the road so you steer right as you then head toward the bales on the right that are in the road!

That whole middle section is just horrible, constantly turning, car too unstable to really brake into the chicane so end up driving around the long righthander really slowly.  Might be an idea to turn off damage. any touch with the barriers is just going to send you towards the other side, anyone following is just going to drive into you.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 09:47:24 AM +0100 »

The problem with 0% damage is that it leads to what most traffic cops I've known refer to (in various words) as the Volvo bubble.
This is when people feel so safe that they stop consciously thinking about actually driving sensibly because they don't think they'll end up hurt.

I'm worried that doing this here will result in worse driving than some of the stuff seen during the Formula Easter races.
You might still finish, but your race could be utterly ruined by people doing stuff they would never consider if it might take them out of the race.
I'd like to see 100% damage personally (as we ran in GPL) because it forces people to learn how to drive safely and respectfully, I think it was tried once in AC and canned because of too many complaints.

As per the advice given prior to our last event here in 2017, get some good practice in to learn the track and you should be fine.
This is our last 'slow' technical track of the season, they only get bigger and faster from here Smiley
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 04:17:52 PM +0100 »

I can just see peoples races being ruined when someone hits the barrier and the track is pretty narrow there is no where to go. I'll need ot look at youtube for videos as i have no clue how to drive it in this car. Trying to go two wide doesnt fill me with hope either, and with the differing pace between people based on the last race people maybe too eager.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 04:38:33 PM +0100 »

That isn't really a passing place though - If a car has somehow got alongside into the T4 hairpin then who-ever is on the inside should be clear long before reaching the bales. If they aren't then they really should be thinking about slotting in behind anyway, as they'll be on the outside of that massive left and will only cost themselves time and position.
As to can it be done though - yes it can, Both myself and the AI managed it in the quick race I used to take the track picture.

The main, safe passing places are T2 (La Gare) at the bottom of the hill, T3 (Pont Oscar) at the top, potentially the T4 hairpin (Lycee) if the car in front really messes up exiting T3, and T10 (Buisson). There are plenty of opportunities for an impromptu pass if the car ahead makes a mistake, but it's critical to be certain you can get through safely yourself as well.
In many cases this can just mean the following your opponent from slightly further back than normal.

People just need to leave racing room, AC has the in cockpit arrows as stock - with Helicorsa there really is no excuse for not seeing a car that's been alongside for the last 50 meters.

I'll record an on-board lap at some point over the weekend if I can.
Another trick is to learn it it a far more powerful car - if you can do that then the Porsche will be easy!
IbnSolmyr

The fastest guy ever to find a way to be slow.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 05:59:06 PM +0100 »

The problem with 0% damage is that it leads to what most traffic cops I've known refer to (in various words) as the Volvo bubble.
This is when people feel so safe that they stop consciously thinking about actually driving sensibly because they don't think they'll end up hurt.

I'm worried that doing this here will result in worse driving than some of the stuff seen during the Formula Easter races.
You might still finish, but your race could be utterly ruined by people doing stuff they would never consider if it might take them out of the race.
I'd like to see 100% damage personally (as we ran in GPL) because it forces people to learn how to drive safely and respectfully, I think it was tried once in AC and canned because of too many complaints.

In spite that I wouldn't have picked this track, i fully agree with what is said here.
And I'm all for some 100% damage events.

That said, of course there will be some accidents and some drivers will be penalized while they did no fault at all. But it's also part of racing unfortunately.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:28:04 PM +0100 by IbnSolmyr » Logged

Also known as "Solmyr"
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 07:32:37 PM +0100 »

See you at Spa!

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
Fabri Fibra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 11:26:50 PM +0100 »

This track is similar to Montecarlo.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 04:39:44 PM +0100 »

Onboard as promised. Use the out lap for judging lines and braking points as I was going slower and concentrating on not wiping out on cold tires Grin
Lap 2 I hit the kurb on the long right hander, but otherwise it's pretty accurate aside from some drifting. Lap 3 was to see how silly I could get as the setup was clearly way too oversteery - something I'll have to sort for the race as the tires/me will never survive 30 minutes.

https://youtu.be/iM6P6Up_4LY

I have to say this track looks nearly as good in pancake-vision as it does in VR Cool

I've also made some better track cams as the defaults aren't great.

You can get them here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7eo7mfloawb707x/Pau74%20cams.rar?dl=0 drop them into "*your steam folder*\assettocorsa\content\tracks\pau_1974\data

Preview =
https://youtu.be/CylFuAV9Oag
Fabri Fibra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 11:34:24 PM +0100 »

Wow, in VR is crazy!
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 10:35:19 AM +0100 »

I'm going to die! Can't even see the bales because of the shadows.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 12:13:37 PM +0100 »

I'm actually thinking to move time of day to close to 12 due to that, or maybe even into morning if that angles thins better - I'm willing to grant that shadows are a legit safety concern on some turns here  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com