The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 16, 2024, 11:46:41 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • A16 Zolder: November 18, 2020
November 18, 2020, 04:51:44 PM +0000 - Zolder (1965-72) - UKAC Season 16
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Fabri Fibra
 Magnesium Team
Honda RA300 {unknown} 1 1:26.051
---
1 43:34.335
---
30 1:25.983
---
Firestone  
FullMetalGasket
 Black Night Racing
BRM P83 {unknown} 2 +0.457
---
2 +28.085
---
30 1:26.866
---
Goodyear  
IbnSolmyr

Lotus 49b (DFV) {unknown} 6 +1.058
---
3 +46.965
---
30 1:26.626
---
Firestone  
goldtop
 Kerb Crawlers
Ferrari 312 (1967) {unknown} 4 +0.883
---
4 +52.592
---
30 1:27.263
---
Firestone  
frex
 Kerb Crawlers
Cooper T81b (Maserati) {unknown} 7 +2.046
---
5 +58.214
---
30 1:27.718
---
Firestone  
Syd Drake
 Drake Racing
Lotus 49b (DFV) {unknown} 8 +2.283
---
6 +1:12.278
---
30 1:28.070
---
Firestone  
L4de

Honda RA300 {unknown} 9 +2.512
---
7 +1L
---
29 1:27.842
---
Firestone  
Stefan aka Postal
 Legends Racing
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) {unknown} 3 +0.593
---
8 +4L
---
26 1:26.394
---
Goodyear  
Mark J
 Legends Racing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) {unknown} 11 +3.307
---
9 +7L
---
23 1:28.079
---
Goodyear  
Manteos
 Virtual Drivers Alliance
Honda RA300 {unknown} 5 +0.923
---
10 +17L
---
13 1:27.115
---
Firestone  
KDiesel

BRM P83 {unknown} 10 +2.858
---
11 +28L
---
2 2:02.833
---
Goodyear  
SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
Assetto Corsa
{unknown}
1:26.051
---
Fabri Fibra
Qualifying
Honda RA300November 18, 2020, 04:51:44 PM +0000
A16
Assetto Corsa
{unknown}
1:25.983
---
Fabri Fibra
Race
Honda RA300November 18, 2020, 04:51:44 PM +0000
A16
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKAC Season 16 - GPL67 fun race - Zolder - Nov 18  (Read 1201 times)
KDiesel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 01:03:59 PM +0000 »

Then had an accident with Kimi and that was it really. That is what GPL is I guess. @Kimi, did you just not see me at your right? Or where you trying to toughen it out with me? Just curious, as you had the better line for the next left hander over the hill and could have left a little more space..

Found out after the race it actually looks better in VR without PP enabled, but you miss brake ligths. So that is not usable for online sadly.

What happend there was that I lost bit control over jump and car went maybe 10 cm wide, sorry for that, I take a blame. I guess pitcrew went to holidays 'cause there was nobody to fix car after accident, good looking racing all over track anyway, cars are ok but seems like some cars have some issues. BRM is only car what I tryied because H16, but I guess all are based Kunos cars.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 02:02:32 PM +0000 »

Only the Ferrari and Lotus are Kunos based (Physics are deffinately not Kunos as are best guesses at emulating the real GPL cars) - I'm not sure where the models have been taken from/based on, It's possible the old GPLEA files were far more detailed than was ever obvious in GPL (and the final models still look bloody amazing now, 23 years after the game shipped).

As for bugs, the only one I'm aware of is the tire bug on the BRM. Everything else behaves roughly like it's GPL counterpart. I've not even noticed any fuelling bugs on these beyond what you'd expect from the real cars (I.e. BRM is very thirsty, Brabham much less so) unlike in the GTLegends mods that have been run over at SRO.
As mentioned, I can fix the BRM tire bug easily for a championship in these and am seriously tempted to use it for giggles if we run one despite how slow it is - although that might change slightly with the tires sorted.

Quote from: goldtop
Spa '66   thumbup2 It's out there but I have it if you can't find it. Monaco '66 is also available but the racing there is **** so I won't mention it!

I've got both but we can't run them here as they're both direct rips from PC1, a pity as both tracks would be epic in the correct machinery Sad
Not to worry - I managed the UKGPL 65 class for a few seasons so know exactly what sort of tracks we need Wink
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 02:06:36 PM +0000 »

Tried the Honda after I saw that McLaren was easily on 25's with some tweaks, so I went for the car I hate more in this mod.

The result is that I will never drive that car again. No confidence in brakes, understeer everywhere. Simply not funny at all for my taste.

The 'Great White Whale' as we called it in Hiki Waza can actually be fast, but it HAS to be 4 wheel drifted and trail braked in order to overcome the understeer.
Oddly it's weakest moment when I raced it at SRO was Monza - the only race it ever won in reality (I did have a nasty off too mind) Grin
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 02:26:41 PM +0000 »

Quote from: goldtop
Spa '66   thumbup2 It's out there but I have it if you can't find it. Monaco '66 is also available but the racing there is **** so I won't mention it!

I've got both but we can't run them here as they're both direct rips from PC1, a pity as both tracks would be epic in the correct machinery Sad
Not to worry - I managed the UKGPL 65 class for a few seasons so know exactly what sort of tracks we need Wink

Spa and Monaco are actually direct rips from rF2 and look much nicer in AC, but yep I know what you mean.

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
Manteos

P&G Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 03:59:43 PM +0000 »

Tried the Honda after I saw that McLaren was easily on 25's with some tweaks, so I went for the car I hate more in this mod.

The result is that I will never drive that car again. No confidence in brakes, understeer everywhere. Simply not funny at all for my taste.

The 'Great White Whale' as we called it in Hiki Waza can actually be fast, but it HAS to be 4 wheel drifted and trail braked in order to overcome the understeer.
Oddly it's weakest moment when I raced it at SRO was Monza - the only race it ever won in reality (I did have a nasty off too mind) Grin

Your opinion on that is quite superflous, cause with your car control you'd be able to drift even a pallet truck  Grin Grin Grin

You should become my driving coach for drifting style, as long as you don't pretend to be paid 1.500 $ a day for your lessons  Grin Grin Grin

Jokes apart, I'm amazed by your drive in every car Tim, even if on modern ones it becomes counterproductive in terms of tyre wear, as you already know.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:01:29 PM +0000 by Manteos » Logged

"The second principle: Take every gain without showing remorse about missed profits, because an eel may escape sooner than you think."
Joseph Penso De La Vega. Confusio de Confusiones (1688)
IbnSolmyr

The fastest guy ever to find a way to be slow.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 04:05:34 PM +0000 »

Unfortunately I was then side swiped into the pit wall by Maxime as he passed me, who in fairness seemed to be avoiding a car to his left but I lost more places.
And I'd like to apologize for that. Undecided I don't know what should I understand exactly by "swiped" as it was only a slight rear wheel to rear wheel contact ; was hard to guess as those wheels of course are wider than what we can see at the front of the car. I wanted to be cautious with the car passing us on my left and that little right move was a mistake, which in those beast give its effects almost 1 second later.  Roll Eyes Still you didn't loose more than 1 position as the other cars had passed us yet.

Also known as "Solmyr"
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 05:36:52 PM +0000 »

Side swiped is just a term for side to side contact when a driver is passing an opponent Maxime. I know it wasn't race ending but that's just the kind of accidental contact that can cause big incidents like with Stefan and Kimi on the back straight....saw that one in my mirrors. My reason for raising the issue was to ask if you or others were using Helicorsa as I find it helps me avoid these incidents.

Fabri Fibra

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 07:35:33 PM +0000 »

My race ended up with my XXX Honda doggy styling a catarifrangant at the exit of last corner for at least 30 seconds of pure lust. Then I pressed esc and watched a bit the lonely drifter Muttram Cool, that was surely more fun than driving the Honda.

Bravo Fabri on that shitbox, aswell as Tim on his 500 bhp shopping cart, and Maxime.

See you for the next.

Honestly, I really like the Honda handling. It is very easy to drift precisely because it is understeer. In entering it is possible to oversteer considerably and then at the exit it will be very friendly and with a lot of traction.
Having said that, on a track like this it is quite slow, but on fast tracks it becomes competitive.

Unfortunately I had serious fps issues, so I couldn't drift the car as I wanted, and that slowed me down. I did 1.25.9 as the last lap, but I should improve it by at least 3-4 tenths. Plus I had an impromptu setup.  angel

I was really impressed by Ferrari 312 (GPL mod), perfect handling. It is very different from AC 312.
IbnSolmyr

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 12:13:19 AM +0000 »

Side swiped is just a term for side to side contact when a driver is passing an opponent Maxime. I know it wasn't race ending but that's just the kind of accidental contact that can cause big incidents like with Stefan and Kimi on the back straight....saw that one in my mirrors. My reason for raising the issue was to ask if you or others were using Helicorsa as I find it helps me avoid these incidents.

No problem Morris. Sorry I don't play with Helicorsa as it would be quite disturbing here, but even if I play on a single monitor, I play with quite wide FOV plus I have a spatial sound headphone that gives me the position of the cars around me quite accurately. when I feel it's necessary, I add the virtual mirror too.

Also known as "Solmyr"
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 12:01:22 PM +0000 »

No problem Morris. Sorry I don't play with Helicorsa as it would be quite disturbing here, but even if I play on a single monitor, I play with quite wide FOV plus I have a spatial sound headphone that gives me the position of the cars around me quite accurately. when I feel it's necessary, I add the virtual mirror too.

Dont you guys use Crewchief? With its spotter (available in many languages or characters). Its extremely useful in league racing, albeit not quite fitting in with the period for these cars. Need someone with a loud hailer shouting at you from the pitlane to fit the time period  Grin
But for any guys suffering spatial awareness, and there are a couple here, its a god-send as verbally tells you the other car is still alongside etc.

IbnSolmyr

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 12:12:44 PM +0000 »

Dont you guys use Crewchief? With its spotter (available in many languages or characters). Its extremely useful in league racing, albeit not quite fitting in with the period for these cars. Need someone with a loud hailer shouting at you from the pitlane to fit the time period  Grin
But for any guys suffering spatial awareness, and there are a couple here, its a god-send as verbally tells you the other car is still alongside etc.

It's been quite some time I think about this, after discovering it in the Jos' videos, and yes it looks to be very good stuff. What refrains me since all that time is, as you said, that it doesn't fit the era very well.  laugh
I'll prolly download it for test, though as I said it wouldn't have changed anything in our small contact as I knew you were there, just I misjudged my placement by overreacting to the Frex' passing car. :/

Something I forgot to mention in my previous message : I wish had have let you pass me on my right side immediately after, but I wasn't aware of my fault at the time. Sorry again for that.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:20:40 PM +0000 by IbnSolmyr » Logged

Also known as "Solmyr"
KDiesel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 12:39:13 PM +0000 »

Old wisdom says " If you don't see it in mirror, it's on your side"... Smiley Crewchief is way too talkative for my taste, other wisdom says " Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing".
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2020, 12:58:47 PM +0000 »

Dont you guys use Crewchief? With its spotter (available in many languages or characters). Its extremely useful in league racing, albeit not quite fitting in with the period for these cars. Need someone with a loud hailer shouting at you from the pitlane to fit the time period  Grin

It's been quite some time I think about this, after discovering it in the Jos' videos, and yes it looks to be very good stuff. What refrains me since all that time is, as you said, that it doesn't fit the era very well.  laugh
I'll prolly download it for test, though as I said it wouldn't have changed anything in our small contact as I knew you were there, just I misjudged my placement by overreacting to the Frex' passing car. :/

Something I forgot to mention in my previous message : I wish had have let you pass me on my right side immediately after, but I wasn't aware of my fault at the time. Sorry again for that.

Going for the most quoted post award here  Smiley

First off Maxime, no problem....I know it wasn't intentional, simply a racing incident.

I've just started racing rF2 and use crew chief spotter because there is no Helicorsa equivalent. For me it is better than nothing but as Maxime says, it doesn't really tell you how much room you have and I still have to use guesswork when I'm racing opponents closely especially taking different lines through corners.

I drive with a low FOV and with Helicorsa directly under my virtual mirror. I really can't see anything left or right so I'm heavily reliant on Helicorsa and honestly wouldn't feel as comfortable racing without it. It only becomes visible when there is another car in very close proximity so it is unobtrusive until needed. In some leagues it's compulsory (RD I think from memory) which is not what I'm arguing here, but I would encourage those that don't use it to at least give it a try to see if it helps.

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2020, 03:03:51 PM +0000 »

out of interest, and to help me get a better feel with my new DD wheel, what steering lock range would these cars have and what kind of torque strength in the steering? Think a modern race car is 20Nm.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2020, 03:31:43 PM +0000 »

I run ~400 degrees in GPL to match the virtual drivers arms Grin As it's a single seater F1 car with bespoke steering gear I would imagine that real cars were using less range on most tracks so the driver can keep hold of the the wheel longer.

Steering weight will be dependant on steering ratio, road speed, and the setup used.
In a pre-aero car I would imagine steering forces on a par with 1.6-era Formula Fords (many of the UK cars of that period would use the same steering kit), My Westfield had the steering rack from a '66 Formula Ford and was probably in the realms of 4-500 degrees as it was no-where near a normal car.

AC normally limits steering lock on a car by car basis I seem to remember Huh I've never needed to adjust anything for single seaters or other full-blown racers in it, it's always just correct...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com