Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 06:33:26 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 37 - End of Season Review  (Read 1137 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2020, 11:44:42 PM +0000 »

As we approach the end of Season 37, now is a good time to reflect on what went well and think about what we might want to do next season. In order to help the moderators, some feedback from the drivers would be helpful. All comments are welcome but these are some suggested areas for discussion:

Are the rules fair and do they promote enjoyable racing?

Are there any problems with the rules?

Should we continue to run Grand Prix length races?

Is the Mixed Open Wheel format a good one, can it be improved?

What about more Sports Cars/CanAm races?

Should we continue with the 55 Grand Prix cars? If so, should we retain the current format?

Should we make more use of Olaf's "Dirtgear" patch or Lee's "Pit Stop" patch?
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 08:18:32 AM +0000 »

55mod format is excellent and should be retained as is.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
fpolicardi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 12:36:45 PM +0000 »

I'm asking why there are drivers that are classiefied works in some series and privaters in others  Huh
I'm a slow driver, but I'm works in all series.

I don't like too many resets for all in Alfa/Porsche serie.

I like GP lenght race, at least till I wont become blind  Cool Grin

I like Mixed Open Wheel, but I would prefer more group restriction for works drivers.

Sport Cars ok, Canam so and so...

Ok for 55

I would prefer keep things simple without use of new patches

Thx all mods for organization!

Fulvio Policardi
Team7 Driver
AndyL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 03:00:57 PM +0000 »

I'm only interested in the 67 GP series at the moment. I have enjoyed the series very much and I'd like a series with that race length to continue.
As far as I can tell, the refuelling in the pits thing hasn't been used at all. Is there a way that we can have a compulsory pit stop?  Do we handicap drivers by making them wait in the pits?
I think that complicating the rules is bad, but is there a way to improve racing and participation?

I'm not sure whether the issuing of chassis from the moderator god at the start of the season is right. I've done well out of it, but some drivers have been put off by driving difficult cars for long times for little reward. Perhaps if the first race was a free chassis for all, then the top drivers in the table were restricted by chassis for each race. Say, the top two couldn't take Lotus, Eagle, Ferrari or Brabham. Third, fourth and fifth couldn't take Lotus or Eagle. This would require  quick moderation.

None of the 67GP races have been moderated at all. The 67GP races have been very well driven and I don't think that there are many, if any, incidents to review. I guess that no one is going to report an incident more than 2 days after the race. That incident can be resolved by the 7th day and the championship table would be up to date before the next race announcement happens. If there are no reports, then the moderation is done. Therefore, table based chassis handicaps can be posted in the race announcement.

Perhaps there is a lot of unavoidable work behind the scenes to say that moderation is complete even if there are no incidents. I'm happy to help there. I'm happy to count pitstops, check correct chassis and post announcements. I think that the resolving of incidents here at UKGPL is excellent and way beyond my understanding. I'd be banning everyone. But I can do some admin.

One other simple thing ... I have good eyesight and a good monitor, but I find any colour writing on this green background, other than white, is difficult to read.
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 11:00:37 PM +0000 »

For me;

We don't seem to get complaints about the rules - so if it isn't broken then don't fix it.

Grand Prix length - I wouldn't have a problem racing GP length but the standard of driving is too high for me.

Mixed Open wheel seems like a good format. It would have an extra edge if we could have a proper constructors championship but probably too difficult to organise.

Sports Cars - my first season with Sports Cars & I haven't quite got the hang of them.

55 Mod seems popular and well supported but Mr Nobrakes doesn't get along with 'no brakes'. 

Fuel stop patches. A bit of a novelty for fun events but I wouldn't vote for them in league racing.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Philippe Girard

Long live to GPL and rock n' roll

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 05:01:47 PM +0000 »

in my opinion, the current format mod gp 67 is ok, good idea.
to improve : championship of 12 months, that is 18 - 20 races
this would be the big reference championship for ukgpl !

andy's reasoning is right:
each driver must choose the car he wants, BUT:
bonus cars : BRM        +8
                 HONDA     +7
                 COOPER    +5
                 BRABHAM   +3

Open wheels : good format

create a new championship with mod 65

Personnaly, I don't like mod 55

Sport cars ok, canam no, and no unlimited shift-r on long tracks

to make it simple

- big championship 67 on one year
- open wheels
- mod 65
- mod sport cars

Long live rock and roll !
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 11:29:04 AM +0000 »

Pitstops  :  Extra work and problematic.  A four wheel change in the 1960's, would take 1 - 3 minutes, which made them very rare.

Handicap  :  By driving in only 3 rounds of the 1955 Season, I'm able to race competitively.
Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 03:52:40 PM +0000 »

My review notes for S37...

GP55 Series:
Very satisfactory on all fronts.  I'd like to see the format retained and it feature in S38.

Mixed Open-Wheel:
A novel approach that I think came off quite well.  I enjoyed the mod swap-outs for each event.  You could be a contender in one race; a stone in the next.  Worth repeating.

GP67 Sprints:
My preferred series as the full GP67 races were just so much longer.  Competition tight and rewarding.  I might consider going the full distance races in S38 and step back to the Sprints if it proves too arduous.

Sports Car Cup:
A fun series with handicapping but I'd much prefer straight-up GT racing with a full slate of marques.  CanAm figures in this, too.

As Martin notes above, mandating pit stops for service could prove a bridge too far.
AnGex

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 08:55:49 PM +0000 »

For me the rules are ok.

Pleased with the Mixed Open Wheel format.

No interesse in Sports Cars/CanAm, Grand Prix length races, 55 Grand Prix cars, Olaf's "Dirtgear" patch or Lee's "Pit Stop" patch.

But a complete 68 or 69x Series would be great.

Get up, stand up: stand up for your right!
Get up, stand up: don't give up the fight!
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 09:29:02 PM +0000 »

I think it will be no surprise that I favour another 55 series, for me it is the biggest challenge in UKGPL.

I like the challenge of the 90 minute GP races, although I confess that we/I  need to review the chassis allocation and find another way of keeping the races interesting.

The open wheel format opens a myriad of combinations and possibilities for each season, we should keep it and offer a different mix for each season. We have 69x and even thundersports  as yet unexplored?

The sports cars offer something different and I am sure that we could conjure up another series for the next season.

I think that pitstops offer a singularly unique way of handicapping the faster drivers, but I also recognise that drivers need to get used to, and comfortable with, pitstops in GPL. Maybe we can introduce pitstops in fun races and short series  like the JSMT? and when people are more comfortable  with the concept we might try a full season??

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:34:55 PM +0000 by EvilClive » Logged

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
AndyL

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 03:24:01 PM +0000 »

One thing I really enjoy about UKGPL is the history of statistics and race results going back to 1999 that can be easily accessed.
I continue to be distracted by the status of moderation here. I have no problem with the moderation of incidents or planning of races. Some races from a couple of seasons back are still inviting incidents to be submitted. Some have moved on to moderation pending or moderation underway. I am sure that most of these should be completed as they are not waiting for any new information. Some races reach the moderation completed status very quickly. Some races stay in limbo for months, years.

Click on the name of any regular driver and under Career Statistics there are Championship Results. Below that there are Current Standings for seasons that have long since finished as well as the current ones. This does seem to be a particular problem for UKGPL as the statuses are used in the same way for RRE, UKAC and UKGTL and they move along quickly and leave nothing outstanding. I don't think this status stasis has anything to do with time intensive incident checking as many of the uncompleted races were without incident.

Maybe no one is as bothered as I am to make it look pretty, so please let me help. I'd love to tidy this up.

Above the driver's Career Statistics, there's a list called Championship Registration and Licenses. They go back only to season 30 and I can't work out what this means. Registration happened before season 30 too.

One point I'd like to make about the actual racing is how much I have liked the spaced out grids in the GP races. This really helps to reduce incidents.
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 09:35:17 PM +0000 »

For myself the 67's and 55 mod have been very succesful and should be retained , As for race length I find these are quite challenging any longer races would be an absolute  no no for me .

One grievance regarding the rules , and I'm talking about the situation when driver (A) takes another driver (B) out of the game ,driver (A) is often able to continue racing and if found guilty have some kind of post race  penalty imposed . While driver (B) suffers the ultimate penalty of being out of the race through no fault of his own . hardly fair play IMO .   

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 09:21:44 PM +0000 »

Some tracks in need of lappery :

-Adelaide67
Borovaya
-Donington
Interlagos73
-Sachsenring
St. Jovite
Pacific Raceways x 2
Torino (new)
Wat.Glen48
Zolder67

Of these, I'm not 100% certain of reliability from 3 of them.  Recently raced 65's online successfully at Sachs67, and with Ukgpl the other two, some years ago.

fpolicardi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 11:09:31 AM +0000 »

Can I ask to insert my track Vallelunga '71? It's well suited for '65, '66, F2 or GT.  Smiley
http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=3142
Thx

Fulvio Policardi
Team7 Driver
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 09:23:36 PM +0000 »

Thanks for all your feedback on Season 37.

The mod team will discuss the suggestions and try to accommodate as much of them as possible. An announcement on Season 38 will be made as soon as practicable.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com