The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 07:54:08 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: RACE : WTCC demo is out  (Read 13250 times)
Radius

Meep! Meep!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 03:41:31 PM +0100 »

5 laps and I'm feeling a little underwhelmed I'm afraid. It feels, generally, like driving games do when you firs try then- a little awkward due to the little differencies. The thing that worries me is they just seem to have forgotten to add the excitement  Embarrassed

i heard simbin is a bit short on cash..."excitement" will be sold as an expansion pack  Cheesy

Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics...even if you win, you're still a retard Wink
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 03:43:18 PM +0100 »

i heard simbin is a bit short on cash..."excitement" will be sold as an expansion pack  Cheesy

Excitement can be found very easily on the internet  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes    oops

Where is my cake of the 1000's post Tongue?
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 03:53:30 PM +0100 »

Put it into simulation mode and the first off I had in the Beamer resulted in a front left puncture  Tongue

Interesting physics feature here, wheel only rotated when I was on the tarmac. Was locked solid on any other surface. Still a quick visit to the pits and a fresh tyre and off we go again.

Nice version of Brands, but the eye candy has always been Simbin's forte. Judging by the keys used to change view this is the first commercial mod for rFactor  Wink

Pickled

Honda Accord Type R

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 04:14:20 PM +0100 »

Wow - everywhere you see discussion on the demo of this highly anticpated game, their opinion is that it's pure crap.

Damn! Guess I won't waste the bandwidth on the demo hehe  Embarrassed

Now if only they would put some effort into cleaning up a lot of bugs in the current title GTR2.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 04:16:28 PM +0100 by Pickled » Logged
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 04:17:15 PM +0100 »

Lol all.

Some positives:

> Menu's look lovely (important to me as a designer but hardly a reason to stump up cash I agree Wink)
> Track looks great and framerate smooth as heck on my middle-aged system. I thought I was going to struggle- impressive.
> There's some pretty sophisticated tyre modelling going on as you say Picnic- the car feels very good as you ride the bumpy Brands circuit. The wheel weight goes light as you crest bumps and the engine note rises as the car revs etc etc. I need more time with it but I think the game might well have the most advanced system in that respect so far. Haven't played GTR2 much though to compare.
> The windscreen wipers rock! I like driving with them on even though the demo is dry  Cheesy

Some negatives:

> The sound is rubbish rubbish rubbish.
> The sound is weak bad puny.
> The cars feel like someone forgot to put all the spark plugs back in- can 200bhp+ tuned race cars really feels so sedate?
> There is all the usual Simbin annoyances in there, like for example, the game forgetting which wheel you selected for use and then you having to re-assign the keys again because they've drifted off into the ether too. Your hotlap is started for you and has a countdown like any serious sim fanatic would prefer that over exiting the pits manually and doing an outlap 'for real'.
> The default set-ups are real shockers- 12 across the board for all the bump and rebound settings? Congratualtions Simbin you may loose sales just because people have to fiddle so much to get the darn cars driveable.
> Last but not least, they need to bite the bullet and release the game with the excitement pack included rather than as an after sale add-on. Failing that, they could include some of the 'special internet pictures' Ruskus is talking about on the advertising boards around the track. Might make me want to play the game a bit more Wink

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
greg130
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 04:33:37 PM +0100 »

Well I'm sad to say, not impressed.

Is it me or is the fov really weird, seems like everything is fore-shortened, like I'm driving with a pair of bino's on.

28CDM : http://www.28cd.co.uk

GtrRank name = Greg130

" border="0
" border="0
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 04:46:19 PM +0100 »

You know when you run out of fuel in GTR or rFactor and you realise because, all of a sudden, the car feels a bit sluggish. You glance down to confirm, sure enough, the throttle is only working intermittently whilst the engine splutters and chews through the last dregs of fuel. That's how these cars FEEL ALL THE TIME Undecided  laugh

... still impressed with the way the changes in elevation affect the car though...

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 05:08:52 PM +0100 »

I've got absolutely no force feedback in it. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. It's like steering with a wet halibut. Nearly as bad, the .PLR file is encrypted so I've got sweet Fanny Adams' chance of working out what might be wrong. Or changing any one of the other million things I've done to GTL, rF and GTR2 to make them happier places to live.

Time to have a proper go with the V8 Supercars... Roll Eyes

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Don
Blue and Orange Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 05:32:33 PM +0100 »

I've downloaded the puppy, but holding off installing Grin
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 05:47:18 PM +0100 »

I saw someone detail a fix for halibut based force feedback over at RSC Dave-

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=271705&page=2

- the "Dance" fella near the bottom of the page.

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 06:02:57 PM +0100 »

Who says these things are slow

That was after falling through a hole in the scenery I think, a friends son was 'driving'. Also I believe the speed got to over 800 before it topped out  Grin

PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 06:23:48 PM +0100 »

... sometimes it needs some young blood to come in to a sport and brake new boundaries. I feel rightly humbled  Cheesy

Woodee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 06:34:47 PM +0100 »

I've got absolutely no force feedback in it. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. It's like steering with a wet halibut. Nearly as bad, the .PLR file is encrypted so I've got sweet Fanny Adams' chance of working out what might be wrong. Or changing any one of the other million things I've done to GTL, rF and GTR2 to make them happier places to live.

Time to have a proper go with the V8 Supercars... Roll Eyes

You have to click a force feedback profile to actually get it to kick in... even if force is on and up full. At least that worked for me. I thought my rig was modest... but it coughs and splutters with this demo.... guess an upgrade is on the cards Cheesy

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 06:42:57 PM +0100 »

I saw someone detail a fix for halibut based force feedback over at RSC Dave-

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=271705&page=2

- the "Dance" fella near the bottom of the page.

Thanks - also this thread.

Now it feels like a wooden fish instead of a wet one. laugh It's growing on me but very slowly. And even with the detail turned down a lot it stutters in single player - what's it going to be like online?!

Maybe it's a setup thing, but these cars seem soulless. I don't mind the Cortina and Alfa being slow - they have soul. These things are barely any quicker than my road car and seem a lot less fun to drive. Huh

To finish first, first you must have fins.
LuKe#69

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 07:09:12 PM +0100 »

Doesnt sound like its really worth downloading the demo  Sad

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com