The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 29, 2024, 06:26:47 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: RACE : WTCC demo is out  (Read 13249 times)
Radius

Meep! Meep!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 07:17:53 PM +0100 »

ohh that sucked really. only did 3 laps and quit

back striaght felt liek i was in 2nd gear but motec insists its 5th..must be a bug  Wink  Tongue

ill give it some more 2mrw...or maybe sunday in now rush really.

Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics...even if you win, you're still a retard Wink
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 07:34:02 PM +0100 »

I must say that the Beamer is much more fun. But as it's the only RW driven car (correct me if I'm wrong) in this game, it will get boring quite quickly. But for everyone that finds the cars too slow, press K Grin
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 07:53:55 PM +0100 »

Wot on earth is this pile of halibut paste?

If this is GTR2 with Touring Cars then something went horribly wrong along the way. As Picnic says this looks like an rFactor mod and a bad one at that. The font used is just like rFactors and the replay system is like rFactor rather than GTR2. Plus the feel of the cars has that tell tell slightly floaty feel that you get in rFactor.

Sound, needs whacking up a notch, it's very weedy, they're not great, but if you turn it up it's "ok". Touring cars aren't particularly beefy. They might be from the outside (loud), but they are quite metallic sounding beasts inside.

Graphics wise, nice track again, Brands is really well modelled except the curbs are way too big in places, but the trees are good and the scenary too. The general flow I'm almost certain they are forcing vsync on cause it just pauses every few seconds whilst being completely smooth the rest of the time. That is a tell tale sign of vsync that can't run at your refresh rate. It's smooth but jerky. I tried forcing it off with my control panel settings but it didn't help. I'm sure this is vsync.

No force feedback just like Gizmo (DFP too). Tried the "fix" for that and it didn't feel much better, felt slightly more connected but still very soggy.

Gravel traps don't slow you down, so it's definately not based on GTR 2. I really like the gravel in GTR 2.

Menus suck, they're really unintuitive and unfamiliar and where have all the options gone? Very arcady.

Handling, ug. Lifeless balls of rubbish. I am soooo dissapointed.

Lights don't work. I can't turn them on. Wipers, oh dear, they make me feel sea sick watching them. Waste of time.

They need shooting for releasing a demo with no AI in it or no multiplayer. It's just pants to have timetrial only. 2 cars I don't mind and 1 track I don't mind but no one to race against. Touring cars is not about hotlapping it's about racing.

I was really looking forward to this, but they will have to do something majorly impressive with the final release to make me buy it. Simbin should have given this license to Blimey and let them do the coding as clearly Simbin are completely useless at it. Blimey might not be able to do multiplayer but at least the rest of the game is good thank god.

Now if someone would kindly convert Brands to GTR2 please we can drive that in UKGTR then and delete this demo from the anals! of time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 07:55:28 PM +0100 by Simon 'Shark' Gymer » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
D_Nichols

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 08:07:38 PM +0100 »

I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. The car handled exactly how I expected it too and I can't wait to try it out in a league environment.

PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2006, 08:12:30 PM +0100 »

It IS worth sticking at it if touring cars interest you- there's a sweet handling model in there once you're acclimatised.

Weird and slightly sinister Wink re: rFactor I have to agree. The thing that screamed "rF" to me was the motion sensitive speed shaking of the cab- feels exactly like the excellent system ISI use...

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
Radius

Meep! Meep!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 08:49:35 PM +0100 »

Lets stick with it guys, im sure it'll grown on us like GTR2 did

Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics...even if you win, you're still a retard Wink
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2006, 09:00:15 PM +0100 »

If you can get configured and get past the first 10 laps (if if you call youself a serious sim racer then why wouldn't you?!) it's got something to offer. Unfortunately, despite giving it another really good go just now I can't help concluding that this game is the sim equivolent of watching paint dry :'(

rFactors ETCC mod is soon to be patched... I'm totally sticking with that scooter

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
Adam Parle
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2006, 10:17:08 PM +0100 »

I'm another with the crowd thinking it's nothing special.  I've only done limited laps, and maybe it'll grow on me.  It's all just very slow, and just running laps in time trial isn't going to fire anyone's rockets.

I'll probably do a few more laps, and then wait for another demo where they've remember that racing actually requires other car and drivers to be in attendance....
Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 11:49:50 PM +0100 »

I'll withhold judement until I've played it properly, but first impressions are not good at all.  Undecided

Team Shark

GT Rank Name: Michael Bennett

The correct procedure is brake-swear, not swear-brake.
locutos ukgtr
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 06:53:13 AM +0100 »

Installed, played for 1/2 hour, really wanted to give it a go, couldnt get into it at all, theres no sense of speed, my GTR car felt faster in the pit lane with the limiter on! Uninstalled and deleted. Will not be buying it.

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 09:14:27 AM +0100 »

Well I'm almost definately convinced this is based on rFactor. The vsync thing that I thought was vsync I think is not now, i think it's the thing that i had with rFactor with the early builds. It would take a lap to load all the textures or something for the entire track. After one lap it would be smooth not loading anything. This seems to be the case for this. Once you've done one lap the graphics are no longer pausy, but smooth.

This helps a lot cause you can drive the car with more feel. Certainly grown on me since yesterday and one thing is if this is built on the latest rFactor then it will have working multiplayer. If it's built on an earlier version, hmm.

It's a great version of Brands, but I don't understand what they've done to the curbs. They are just completely wrong.

BMW is far more fun, but I'm still completely dumfounded that the demo has no AIs cause hotlapping in Touring Cars is boring and a very bad advert for the game.

The car models I'm a bit dissapointed in too. Compared to GTR2 they look quite flat. I find that with a lot of the rFactor cars they just don't have enough polygons to give them a proper shape. ETCC mod is the same.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Carl Hart

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2006, 11:42:22 AM +0100 »

I did'nt think was that bad at all. Yes the cars are slow but they would be compared to GTR2. Also the the graphics dont seem to bad, i agree with the bumps being totally wrong at brands tho and the sound needs cranking up a bit. Although the cars are slow and quite easy to control, i think this could create some great close racing in multiplayer. I think they have made a mistake by releasing such a poor demo with no AI but i think this does not represent the quaility of the full game, well i hope not!
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2006, 12:52:04 PM +0100 »

You get back the 'normal' driving game sensation of speed (and a little more excitement to boot) if you adjust the FOV a bit. You can't do this in the encrypted game files but, in game, need to hold control asnd the left mouse button and then move the mouse itself back a little. I suspect there is a very shallow FOV by default, hence the treacle-like driving performance.

Munkez

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2006, 01:01:03 PM +0100 »

I havent played the Race demo, but would just like to point out for those that remember......... when we were first graced with a demo of GPL, it was 1 car and 1 track... with no AI or multi-player available! GPL is still with us 10 years on!!

Now i admit these are totally different games, back then there was nothing like GPL on the market and the demo did come out months before the final release...... but give Race a chance, dont write it off before its actually released.....

« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 03:56:10 PM +0100 by Munkez » Logged
greg130
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2006, 01:12:55 PM +0100 »

You get back the 'normal' driving game sensation of speed (and a little more excitement to boot) if you adjust the FOV a bit. You can't do this in the encrypted game files but, in game, need to hold control asnd the left mouse button and then move the mouse itself back a little. I suspect there is a very shallow FOV by default, hence the treacle-like driving performance.

Nice one Paul, feels a lot better now, good job someone reads the instructions.

28CDM : http://www.28cd.co.uk

GtrRank name = Greg130

" border="0
" border="0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com