by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

April 27, 2024, 11:28:33 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 21  (Read 260 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2021, 11:23:12 AM +0000 »

Just, what I hope will be a simple question to answer.

In line with Tony's recommendations, and his ongoing sanity, I have adopted his "dedicated GTL install for each series". So, I am currently making copies of my CLEAN/VIRGIN/RELIABLE  GTL install and renaming them for the upcoming hostilities.

This of course means that I will be deleting the now redundant installs for the last season, and with them any car setups that might have felt good for me. So I was wondering if I could create a remote copy of the USER DATA folder from one of last year's series. then copy the info/setups etc from all of the other existing completed series into a single source. Then I simply ( I bet it ain't!!) keep the new archive somewhere safe and copy and paste it into all of the dedicated installs for the forthcoming series?

If it works, I can then update that remote folder whenever I feel the need and retain any setup data for use in the future. I appreciate that some setups , like the recent Xmas special might have some unique data, but I can always choose not to archive anything I think is "odd".

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:29:10 AM +0000 »

I need to issue a Health Warning for the next few months.

Mr Clause visited this house on New Years Eve and left a shiny new racing rig  . I have it 90% sorted, but I need to make a custom support for the keyboard....pitstops are traumatic enough without reaching over the steering wheel and trying to hit the right keys with  pencil!!!

I intend to convert to "H" pattern shifter now that I have a proper driving seat, so this is likely to result in some swearing and wildly erratic on track behaviour.

You have been warned  shifty

Rank   Only when I sweat
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 11:38:15 AM +0000 »

In line with Tony's recommendations, and his ongoing sanity, I have adopted his "dedicated GTL install for each series". So, I am currently making copies of my CLEAN/VIRGIN/RELIABLE  GTL install and renaming them for the upcoming hostilities.

This of course means that I will be deleting the now redundant installs for the last season, and with them any car setups that might have felt good for me. So I was wondering if I could create a remote copy of the USER DATA folder from one of last year's series. then copy the info/setups etc from all of the other existing completed series into a single source. Then I simply ( I bet it ain't!!) keep the new archive somewhere safe and copy and paste it into all of the dedicated installs for the forthcoming series?

If it works, I can then update that remote folder whenever I feel the need and retain any setup data for use in the future. I appreciate that some setups , like the recent Xmas special might have some unique data, but I can always choose not to archive anything I think is "odd".
I think this sounds like a grand idea and I cannot see why it should not work as you envisage. You could just make a remote install of the Settings folder instead of a full UserData folder.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 11:53:57 AM +0000 »

I need to issue a Health Warning for the next few months.

Mr Clause visited this house on New Years Eve and left a shiny new racing rig  . I have it 90% sorted, but I need to make a custom support for the keyboard....pitstops are traumatic enough without reaching over the steering wheel and trying to hit the right keys with  pencil!!!

I intend to convert to "H" pattern shifter now that I have a proper driving seat, so this is likely to result in some swearing and wildly erratic on track behaviour.

You have been warned  shifty
Google this sim racing keyboard stand

https://pure-sims.com/product/keyboard-tray/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 11:58:26 AM +0000 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 11:55:43 AM +0000 »

OK thanks Tony.

Just to be safe  Wink I will create the archived "SETTINGS" folder and copy across all relevant data. Then I will save the new SETTINGS folder in the Scirroco install somewhere safe, before I do a test transplant  Wink.

If it works, it should be simple enough to do the swap on all upcoming series......I will report back.

This is the cockpit that I am now sitting in:-
https://www.gtomega.co.uk/products/art-racing-cockpit

I can see where I want the keyboard and how to customise a small bracket to carry it...but it is -5 in my shed ATM and I am bu**ered if I'm going out there today!!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 12:02:01 PM +0000 by EvilClive » Logged

Rank   Only when I sweat
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 11:58:11 AM +0000 »

Yes it will work no problem Clive, I have copied the complete setups folder between installs many times, it just merges the copy with whatever you already have in your install.

Very envious of your new racing rig, just hope it does not make you faster!  Tongue
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 06:07:31 PM +0000 »

When I remember, I copy setups from one location (Southport) where I do a lot of testing, to my other location (Rochdale)
where I do most of the racing. I have setup folders which are internet available for the various racing games, and copy out of them when I need something

Nice rig  Cool

I get a new PC and screen on Tuesday. The machine I race on mostly is 11 or more years old. I have updated it slightly over the years
but is creaking somewhat these days.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:10:12 PM +0000 by phspok » Logged

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Daz9

Inexorable pest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 10:06:30 PM +0000 »

Tis the season for it.....

I am updating my pc also, got a collection of parts at work ready to throw together when I can find time.....

Fractal Design S2 Define Blackout case
i9 10990FK cpu
Gigabyte Z490 Auris Elite motherboard
Nvidia 3080
Patriot Viper Steel 3600 32GB DDR4 ram
Corsair Hydro 115i cooler
2 TB M.2 storage
500GB M.2 for operating system etc
Corsair RMi 750 watt psu

Should run GTL OK I think.....Wish I had room for the full rig like you Clive, working from a wheelstand nowadays which has made life a little more simple of race nights.....
Dimitar Dulichki

Turbo Racing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 10:11:21 PM +0000 »

I hope to be able to brag about something soon, thanks to my donors. I'm just waiting for the first working day to come. Grin

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter Thompson

My YouTube Sim Racing Channel

My Twitch Sim Racing Channel
Daz9

Inexorable pest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 11:52:15 AM +0000 »

It's the first time I've touched my pc in terms of upgrade for 7/8 years since I built the one I have now, so it's done me quite well. Has even held up to the addition of an ultra wide monitor, and will run PCars2 and Dirt 2 OK, but without being able to turn up all the eye candy. Hopefully this next one will be as long lasting..... All of the bits were bought on Black Friday so got deals on everything, slashed the price of the package a lot, still a hefty investment though!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com